Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Using OS X to make a Bootable Linux CD - 1 to 6
Return To Techy Corner

Mrßetamax
Mmmm Digested Biscuits
Sat 1st Mar '08 12:27PM
26 Posts
I have been attempting a few times in different ways to burn a Bootable CD of Damn Small Linux and I have failed.

One of the ways is using Disk Utility to Burn straight from ISO and another is using the Toaster.

Virtual PC runs Linux successfully from the ISO, but not the CD and I am at a loss.

Any suggestions?

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Mon 3rd Mar '08 10:59AM
4597 Posts
I've created a bootable DSL disk from an ISO a few times (I use DSL for my charity work with Radio Lollipop), I didn't run into any real issues except that the first time I burned the ISO as data rather than as a disc image so of course it was useless. I generally use Nero for my burning needs.
DSL won't work on all hardware, are you sure it's good to go on Mac hardware?

Mrßetamax
Mmmm Digested Biscuits
Mon 3rd Mar '08 10:07PM
26 Posts

Spanners was bold enough to comment:
I've created a bootable DSL disk from an ISO a few times (I use DSL for my charity work with Radio Lollipop), I didn't run into any real issues except that the first time I burned the ISO as data rather than as a disc image so of course it was useless. I generally use Nero for my burning needs.
DSL won't work on all hardware, are you sure it's good to go on Mac hardware?

I'm hoping to create a boot disc for one of my old laptop as I'm guessing it would be the reason why it doesn't boot from the Hard disc after installation. I am still new to the Linux environment so my experience is very limited. Virtual PC on my ibook boots the ISO successfully but after burning the ISO to CD it does not.

I have followed the procedures recommended from the 'dsl help' site. (by using disk utility) but I haven't got anywhere.

I don't have a 'Windows' OS to use nero cd-burning thing. But I do however have Fedora core 1 on my virtual PC does it have that ISO to Boot CD burning facility?

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 4th Mar '08 10:45AM
4213 Posts
I was wondering if you were using a PPC or x86 based Mac?

Some of the distros don't support PPC all that well.

Mrßetamax
Mmmm Digested Biscuits
Tue 4th Mar '08 5:54PM
26 Posts

General was bold enough to comment:
I was wondering if you were using a PPC or x86 based Mac?

Some of the distros don't support PPC all that well.

I have a Intel Mac, for Virtual PC I used my ibook which has PPC

Oooood
Aubergine Mincemeat
Wed 5th Mar '08 10:32AM
242 Posts
My experience of Macs is limited but just a simple thought,
you are selecting to 'burn image' from the top menu bar, you don't even need toast to do it. Otherwise you'd be just burning the ISO file to the disk as per spanner's initial error

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Techy Corner

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedMalcolm is The Daddy