Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Help Me Choose A Website Name - 1 to 7
Return To Techy Corner

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Sat 15th Mar '08 11:11PM
4213 Posts
I'm after nabing meself a bit of webspace. Probably with the same fine people who host this fine organ.
A a result I want to register a domain name.
The problem is the one I wanted most in the world: nicklong.com or .co.uk (for that is my name) is taken, by dull witted trolls who want $2K for it.
I can get .org.uk, but that's slightly rubbish and alternatively I could get:

nlong - .co.uk
niklong - .com or .co.uk
nicholaslong - .co.uk
nick-long - anything
nickweb - .co.uk, .org

What do you think forum types?
Which would you have if you had the choice (assuming you were blessed with my melodious name).
i'm going to use it for serious stuff as well as my usual knock about rubbish, so I don't want to use General, or Monquixote which I generally use for webstuff.
All suggestions welcome.

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Sun 16th Mar '08 11:50AM
4597 Posts
I'd probably go with Nickweb personally, it's easy to remember and does exactly what it says on the tin.

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Sun 16th Mar '08 11:50AM
1673 Posts
Hmm, a conundrum indeed! Of those options I'd probably go for nick-long , since it is actually what you call yourself. I think if you went for an alternative spelling or the full-blown nicholas then you'd end up with people addressing you as such.

As an alternative, might I propose longnick? Available as both .co.uk and .com , and has the added advantage that you are in fact reasonably tall.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Sun 16th Mar '08 2:03PM
4213 Posts
I think you are right Maclolm.
When I joined the beeb I had nicholas.long as my email and my desk nameplate for quite a while and it resulted in a couple of years of being called Nicholas for the only time in my life with the exception of when I have done something that especially angers my mother.
Similarly if I go with Nik people who know how I spell my name will never be able to find my website.
UK reg suggests such things as lengthyincision when I try and register which is quite amusing.

Agentgonzo
There's no pee in catheter!
Tue 18th Mar '08 1:49PM
811 Posts
nicklong.org.uk
nicklo.ng
nicklong.name

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 18th Mar '08 2:05PM
4213 Posts
nicklo.ng is a great idea, but unfortunately it is the Nigerian TLD so I imagine all my e-mail would get blocked!
I'm interested, by the .nametld I had never seen that before!

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 19th Mar '08 11:01PM
4213 Posts
So I'm now the proud owner of a bluehost account and the domain name http://www.nick-long.com

Game on!

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Techy Corner

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedDemian is The Daddy