Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Brick Of Destiny - 1 to 16
Return To Games

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 25th Mar '08 1:02PM
4213 Posts
The first version of my breakout/Arkanoid style game Brick of Destiny is now available on my website.

http://nick-long.com/brickofdestiny.php

Let me know what you think and if you have any problems getting it to work.

Also if anyone is interested in helping me redo the art work for the next version please get in touch.

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Tue 25th Mar '08 1:18PM
1673 Posts
Aw, sorry General - it didn't work at all for me. Waited a while for it to download and then I just got a window with a box in it and a small red X in the corner. I know my Java's up to date - I'm on a Mac but that never makes any difference to Java apps (or never has before).

...and I'd love to help with the graphic-y bits when I've got a bit of the way through my Graphic Design HND! Can you wait a few months?

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 25th Mar '08 3:52PM
4213 Posts
Ah you may have an up to date version of Java, but is it 1.5 or 1.6?
Both are currently supported I believe.

It will take me a while to write whatever my new project is so it would be good to discuss with you while I'm still in the ideas stage if you would like to use the design as a bit of coursework etc.

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Tue 25th Mar '08 5:04PM
1673 Posts
Hmm, oddly enough I seem to have J2SE 1.4.2 and also J2SE 5.0! Yes, 5.0 . The Preferences thing allows me to choose which version to prioritise for compatibility reasons. Currently it's set to prefer 5.0 - should I change it to 1.4.2 do you think?

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 25th Mar '08 5:07PM
4678 Posts
Hmm, I think I'm haviong the same problem as Malcolm. The window says 'Brick of Destiny notinited', which, incidentally, is about the ugliest term I've come across in computing lately.

Also, you spelt Arkanoid wrong on the webpage

Diziet
optical moose
Tue 25th Mar '08 5:21PM
2522 Posts
top stuff! i like the musical sound effects. did you write the guitar riff yourself?

you've probably already thought of these, but:

different backdrop for each level
hide the mouse pointer while you're moving the bat (even better, program it for arrow keys. i could never get used to ballistic using the mouse)

other special weapons:

laser beam
sticky bat
multiple balls
fast / slow ball
giant ball

i really like it and i'm looking forward to the finished product.

this is genuine by the way (just in case you were wondering. not that my other posts over the last two days have been anything but genuinely positive )

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 25th Mar '08 5:35PM
4213 Posts

Malcolm was bold enough to comment:
Hmm, oddly enough I seem to have J2SE 1.4.2 and also J2SE 5.0! Yes, 5.0 . The Preferences thing allows me to choose which version to prioritise for compatibility reasons. Currently it's set to prefer 5.0 - should I change it to 1.4.2 do you think?

For reasons known only to sun the versions of Java goes: 1, 2, 1.3, 1.4, 5, 6!
You will need 1.6 which you should be able to get off the sun website unless Apple do Java in some slightly bizzare way.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 25th Mar '08 5:41PM
4213 Posts

Diziet was bold enough to comment:
top stuff! i like the musical sound effects. did you write the guitar riff yourself?

you've probably already thought of these, but:

different backdrop for each level
hide the mouse pointer while you're moving the bat (even better, program it for arrow keys. i could never get used to ballistic using the mouse)

other special weapons:

laser beam
sticky bat
multiple balls
fast / slow ball
giant ball

i really like it and i'm looking forward to the finished product.

this is genuine by the way (just in case you were wondering. not that my other posts over the last two days have been anything but genuinely positive )

Yay cheers Diz I'm glad you like it.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I've got Missiles, Fast Ball and Sticky Bat already, but I'm well up for multiball and I could do keyboard controlls fairly easily.
I would love some level design help, The issue is that I currently have to input the levels directly into the code as co-ordinates. I want to tweak it so it reads in a list of levels from a text file and then it would be pretty easy to import new levels into the game without re compiling and packaging it.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 25th Mar '08 5:42PM
4213 Posts

Demian was bold enough to comment:
Hmm, I think I'm haviong the same problem as Malcolm. The window says 'Brick of Destiny notinited', which, incidentally, is about the ugliest term I've come across in computing lately.

Also, you spelt Arkanoid wrong on the webpage

You on a Windows machine?

If so what happens if you type "java -version" at the command line?

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Tue 25th Mar '08 6:14PM
2708 Posts
I had the same problem as Malcolm, but that's because I'm languishing in java history with no way to update to the latest version at the moment. Stupid work who want to make sure their network is safe.

However I found a couple of times that typing in 'java -version' seemed to cause the command line to hang. I believe you need to type 'java' first and then type 'java -version'. I assume that's just that I don't have java running in the first place though.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Thu 27th Mar '08 10:57AM
4678 Posts

General was bold enough to comment:

If so what happens if you type "java -version" at the command line?

Yup, I was running 1.4. I'm not going to be home tonight but will get 1.5 tomorrow and give it another shot.

Mrsham
I lost my toes in a game of blackjack
Thu 27th Mar '08 2:45PM
505 Posts
Sweet! The drum is a nice touch

Noticed an odd thing where the funky snare effects seem to degrade to white noise (as in, more and more frequently get replaced by white noise); but I think this is probably an issue with my machine as I've noticed it on another game too. I think I'll join the club and reinstall java when I have a minute and see if anything changes.

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Thu 27th Mar '08 9:59PM
4597 Posts
Nice one bud! I loved Arkanoid when I was a kid! And the sounds are great. All I can really suggest is more levels

Loaded happily first time on my system although the browser locked up for 30 seconds or so while it figured out that it needed the Java Virtual Machine.

Swoop*
CHIMPO
Sun 30th Mar '08 1:58PM
1558 Posts
I tried this at work a couple of times but my PC didn't like it. More than likely because of the bizarre network / software / IT staff we have to deal with.

Works a treat here at home though. Good work, excellent sound effects.

The right hand edge seems a bit off, the other 3 sides have a small white border, but the right hand side lets the ball disappear off it. Only by about half a ball width. Not sure if that my resolution or something though. The click to launch seemed to fail for a second or two a couple of times too. I think it was when my sticky ball expired while the ball was on the bat perhaps.

The only suggestion I have is making the ball speed up as you play. Might make for some interesting drum solos too!

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 1st Apr '08 11:20AM
4213 Posts

Swoop was bold enough to comment:
The right hand edge seems a bit off, the other 3 sides have a small white border, but the right hand side lets the ball disappear off it. Only by about half a ball width. Not sure if that my resolution or something though. The click to launch seemed to fail for a second or two a couple of times too. I think it was when my sticky ball expired while the ball was on the bat perhaps.

The only suggestion I have is making the ball speed up as you play. Might make for some interesting drum solos too!

Hmm that's an interesting problem, were you playing from the website or did you download the offline version?
The button opens a 640x480 browser window containing a 640x480 applet so it should all tally up.
What Browser/Java Version/OS are you using Mr Swoop?

The ball speeding up over time is used in Arkanoid I believe and it may well feature in the next version of B of D.

Magina*
Mrs Spanners if you please.
Tue 1st Apr '08 12:43PM
288 Posts
I like it - it's fun.

The stars are the best bit.

You should make bricks with rabbits that jump out when you hit them.... then you have to hit the rabbits whilst they're jumping around the screen. I'd like that.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Games

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedMagina is The Daddy