By bye hackers
Programming Languages - 1 to 5
Return To Mini-Reviews Of Everything!

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Wed 2nd Apr '08 4:18PM
4597 Posts
PHP 7/10
In my opinion the premier language designed with an eye to the web. Although contrary to general opinion it is by no means exclusively intended to drive web applications. It has a tremendous amount of tools built in including extensive (and very useful) database connectivity and image management functions and can also be extended with additional modules.
Web developers as a whole who haven't been corrupted into the Microsoft VB end of things find themselves very firmly in the PHP or the Perl camp with very little patience for the other side.
Perl predates the web and hence is more of a bodge to use for web applications. It also has nowhere the inbuild funcionality of PHP, opting instead for an extensive module library which, while having many great modules is troubled by duplication and bugs.
The Perl base command structures are arguably more flexible (it took the addition of a single command for Perl to go object-oriented) despite the awkward need for manual data type specification (scalar, reference, array or hash). Also (as Perl fans always bring up) PHP has a great many distinct functions (particularly for string manipulation) that could be condensed into relatively few. For example there are many matching functions which vary in case-sensitivity and whether you are matching single characters or whole strings.
Having worked professionally in both languages I still find myself in the PHP camp despite seeing the advantage of Perl in many situations.

Spanners*
Wed 2nd Apr '08 4:19PM
4597 Posts
Perl 6/10
See above

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 7th Apr '08 4:58PM
4678 Posts
QBASIC 8/10
Arguably one of the most technically advanced BASICs ever made, QBASIC (technically an IDE for QuickBASIC) introduced subroutines to BASIC, although the implementation is fairly horrific and requires switching view between subroutines. Mouse command is lacking (although obviously implementable with POKE commands). Line numbers are supported, but unnecessary for the first time. The debugger is an interesting innovation, allowing breakpoints and step-through program execution. User defined data types are also available for the first time. Overall, it's fairly easy to use once you've got the hang of the strange pre-mouse-days controls.

QBASIC comes with two wonderful example games (and one money manager program), Nibbles and Gorrilas, both of which are clones of other games done a million other times, nibbles being one of the best multiplayer implementations of the 'snake' concept ever made. It's also very easy to tweak the code to allow endless levels, or endless snakes, which is endlessly entertaining

QBASIC is free (and always was, used to come with Windows). Nowadays there are massive online resources available and freeware compilers available to turn your efforts into .exe files. When QBASIC was new, it was far, far too slow to do anything processor-heavy with. Nowadays, much faster PCs along with compiling to .exe to remove the need for an interpreter means they'll race along pretty nicely. If you're looking for a BASIC implementation as a beginner's language, I'd definitely recommend this one.

Spanners*
Tue 22nd Apr '08 1:42PM
4597 Posts
Java 9/10
It's very similar to C++ but platform independent and with fantastic documentation. For standalone application development I think it's hard to beat.
Early versions ran about 20 times slower than C++ due to running within their own runtime environment but Java 1.6 is only about half the speed of C++ which is a hit I'm well prepared to take.
Also the JAR package functionality allows application packages and dependencies to be wrapped up into a file that can be simply executed on most platforms.
Second opinion by General on 22nd Apr '08 9/10
Ahh, my favourite language to code in.
Great for people like me who use Linux, but want their XP and OSX using buddies to be able to play with their code.
Second opinion by Agentgonzo on 23rd Mar '09 6/10
Admittedly, I haven't used it much. However, the 'platform independence' of java is a complete and utter load of fucking codswallop. Java is no more platform independent than C or Fortran.

Yes, it compiles to bytecode which can run on any platform, but that's only because the compiler was written that way. I could write a compiler that compiled C to bytecode and then an interpreter for every platform under the sun to run it on and it would be as platform independent as java. Then you get people who use java's platform independence, but write programs that load files from "C:\Program files" and claim that they're platform independent. Give me a fucking break.

As a language, it seems OK. Running inside a virtual machine always seems to be a bit of a hassle, but it has its advantages and disadvantages. The runtime exceptions for falling off the end of an array etc are very handy though.

I also dislike the philosophy of create-and-forget memory management that you get with a garbage collector, but that's probably because the grass was greener in the old days and we all ate rocks for breakfast unlike you young kids who don't know how good you've got it ...
    Average Rating 8

Agentgonzo
There's no pee in catheter!
Mon 23rd Mar '09 1:35PM
811 Posts
C++ 8/10
An octopus that's made by nailing 4 extra legs to a dog.

Does pretty much anything quite well (but not brilliantly). The chicken-tikka-masala of the coding world, if you will.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Mini-Reviews Of Everything!

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedKelly is The Daddy