Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Has anyone ever got Skype to work? - 1 to 4
Return To Techy Corner

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Mon 7th Apr '08 7:35PM
1673 Posts
Argh - it's driving me crazy! There's a person whose Skype name I know, and I'm trying to add him as a contact or just call him. Skype persistently says he doesn't exist. When he tries to add me as a contact, he's told that I don't exist. For test purposes I've just tried creating a new account, in order to search for my normal username, and it says I don't exist!

What's wrong with the damned thing? Has anyone else ever had this? Can you suggest a solution?

Thank you, fair Daddypeople!

Diziet
optical moose
Mon 7th Apr '08 7:46PM
2522 Posts
at the risk of being top of every single board again (sorry folks!) i can tell you that its a problem with both of you being logged in at the same time.

try logging out and letting your friend search for you. it should work.

if not, give up and join a cult.

skype is buggy as all feck.

Epicure_mammon
I'm not crazy cause I take the RIGHT pills :)
Tue 8th Apr '08 7:55AM
140 Posts
Skype is horribly buggy - but it works (for small values of works). I was using it only yesterday to help a mate of mine re-bias his guitar amp.

What Diziet says should help - if it doesn't make sure you've got the latest version of skype and try again. Also make sure that things like the windows firewall or Norton Internet Security are letting skype see the internet (I would imagine that this is not a problem as you don't imply that there's a problem with connecting).

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Tue 8th Apr '08 8:37AM
1673 Posts
Excellent stuff - thanks! That did appear to do the trick. What a weird scenario - you can find each other as long as you're not both logged on at the same time? Good grief.

Actually I'm using the Mac version, and (so far) haven't found any obvious firewall problems etc. The test call seemed to work pretty well at least. It was just this damned contacts thing...

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Techy Corner

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedGeneral is The Daddy