Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Playstation 3 - 1 to 21
Return To Games

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 14th Apr '08 1:57PM
4213 Posts
So I'm taking the plunge on my next geek venture and grabbing myself a PS3 this afternoon.
For those of you who know what a hardcore Nintendophile I am you maybe a little bit confused about this so allow me to enlighten you.
I've had a rather nifty HD LCD for about a year and a sad lack of HD content to watch on it and it occurred to me that if someone had been offering a Linux media centre that output 1080p played Blu Ray movies and had 6 (count em) 3Ghz processors for 300 quid I would have bitten their hand off.
Such a beast is a PS3. Having done a bit of digging it turns out that not only can you run Linux on PS3 it is officially supported by Sony and you can boot in and out of Linux from a menu option in the PS3 native OS. The other rather nifty fact is that the PS3 uses a standard SATA laptop hard drive which can be fairly easily replaced by the user to give it some serious media centre drive space.
Under normal circumstances I would baulk at the high price of the films and games, but luckily I have a Love Film subscription which means I can hire them out at will for no more than the cost of a regular DVD.
Anyone else out there in TDDO land got a PS3?
The deal I'm getting comes with Burnout, GT5 and Army of Two so if anyone fancys some multiplayer goodness let me know.

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Tue 15th Apr '08 11:42AM
4597 Posts
Ooh that's exciting I'm looking at getting a Wii very soon and think it'll take a lot to turn me away from its funky controller and Mariocart Wii (which I had an extensive go of in Selfridges at the weekend) but linux compatibility/big media center action is very tempting. Also I think my 15 inch screen won't do a Wii much justice...

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 15th Apr '08 4:51PM
4213 Posts
Having spent the evening playing on it I don't think there is really any demographic crossover between the Wii and the PS3.
The Wii is really fun and easy to use the PS3 is all elegance and high performance.
I can't imagine having a party and getting everyone playing the Wii, but similarly the PS3 feels much more like a grown up media hub and the graphics are in an entirely different league.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Thu 24th Apr '08 2:12PM
4678 Posts
I'm still having lots of fun with my new PS1 thanks to Mr Betamax and the Swapshop board

Spanners was bold enough to comment:
Ooh that's exciting I'm looking at getting a Wii very soon and think it'll take a lot to turn me away from its funky controller and Mariocart Wii

As soon as Wii Fit is out I'll be there too!

Has anyone tried the Wii-style controller for the PC? Unfortunately I can't currently remember what it's called...

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Thu 24th Apr '08 2:17PM
4213 Posts
If anyone else out there has got Mario Kart Wii, let me know and we can do some online shenanigans.

I've got Wii Fit on order I'll review when it arrives.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 29th Apr '08 1:29PM
4678 Posts
Does anyone know which platform is better for Grand Theft Auto IV - PS3 or XBox 360? I've no interest in using it for other games / apps, and will probably sell it on after I've played it through a couple of times, so I just need to know which system has the better version of GTA IV. I'm not waiting six months and forking out for tons of PC upgrades just to be able to play an inferior version of the game (as I did with GTA3, Vice city AND San Andreas - in fact, historically, GTA games have been the biggest factor in my PC upgrading schedules), so it looks like I'll be buying a console soon...

Diziet
optical moose
Tue 29th Apr '08 1:31PM
2522 Posts

Demian was bold enough to comment:
Does anyone know which platform is better for Grand Theft Auto IV - PS3 or XBox 360? I've no interest in using it for other games / apps, and will probably sell it on after I've played it through a couple of times, so I just need to know which system has the better version of GTA IV. I'm not waiting six months and forking out for tons of PC upgrades just to be able to play an inferior version of the game, so it looks like I'll be buying a console soon...

i played the last GTA game on the PS2 and the XBOX. the XBOX version blew the PS2 version away. the gameplay is smoother and the graphics are far superior.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 29th Apr '08 2:20PM
4213 Posts
The PS3 is a slightly more powerful machine, but I doubt there is much in it and if you don't have a big 1080p LCD you won't notice the difference.
I would go for the Xbox provided GTA IV will run on the arcade variant as it can be had for 150 and the cheapest PS3 is 280.
Things to consider are. Xbox has no HDMI or Wireless controller or Ethernet unless you buy an expensive one.

EDIT: Got called away earlier.
IGN sez:

For those wanting to know which version looks better, the edge goes to the PS3. The textures and framerate are comparable, but the PS3 has far less pop-in. The 360 has richer colors, but the PS3 has better anti-aliasing making it look a little cleaner. Because GTA IV can preload onto the PS3 hard drive, the in-game loads are faster. Don't worry Xbox owners, the load times are rarely more than 30 seconds and don't occur very often. The slight visual edge goes to PS3, but the 360 is no slouch. Either version will do you proud.

So it's pretty much as I said.

The other thing I would say is if you are going to be pulling some epic sessions then I suggest you have a go with the controllers because the xbox one gives me cramp after half and hour whereas the sixaxis I can play with all day with no issues.

I'm not sure if it has online feature, but I would say online stuff works a bit better on the xbox, but you have to pay where as PS3 online is free.

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Wed 30th Apr '08 1:26PM
4597 Posts
Sorry for the slight tangent but whist we're on gaming can anyone with a Wii advise me on the minimum screen size for full appreciation of the Wii experience?

Diziet
optical moose
Wed 30th Apr '08 3:37PM
2522 Posts

can anyone with a Wii advise me on the minimum screen size for full appreciation of the Wii experience?

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 30th Apr '08 3:58PM
4213 Posts

Sorry for the slight tangent but whist we're on gaming can anyone with a Wii advise me on the minimum screen size for full appreciation of the Wii experience?

Hmm an interesting question.

The games are all designed to run in 480P component so it would be worth getting a telly that can handle this resolution.
I think a 14" portable and the like would be pretty much worthless. I have used mine on my mums 24" 4:3 and it was ok for one player but not much cop for 2 player split screen games.
If you want to be getting into some serious 4 player Mario Kart action (and why wouldn't you) I would suggest a 32" would be a great choice I have a 37" LCD and it is probably overkill for a console that doesn't output HD.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Wed 30th Apr '08 10:04PM
4678 Posts
Here is a sample of postings on the subject from the Gamespot forums.

Sparky2002 was bold enough to comment:

about fanboys guess were going to get em anyways & i own ps3 & i hate both them, lol ps3 fanboys & xbox fanboys, sh8 buy what you want i say & screw everyone else opion its what you want & there ramblings ant going to change anything like a bunch of politions,

The_ripster88 was bold enough to comment:

OMG this game was so worth the wait.... well if u asked me a few months ago i prob wouldn’t of said that.. But hey it's the best gta I’ve ever played in my opinion. I have a 360 n my mate has a ps3 n they both look superb so stop with this 360 over ps3 vice versa crap! GOD THANK U FOR SENDING US ROCKSTAR! TO FOR FILL OUR VIOLENT WAYS!! AMEN.

-Unreal- was bold enough to comment:

I played the 360 version from 11am to 5:30 am the next morning and had no crashes at all.

Gamezero224 was bold enough to comment:

ppl keep away of drugs. grand theft auto is a bad game with violence. last words keep away from gta

ps: did everybody see the guy that wrote this articles name guy cocker lol

Syneris was bold enough to comment:

What are bumpers?

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 30th Apr '08 11:30PM
4213 Posts

Here is a sample of postings on the subject from the Gamespot forums.

This reminds me of why I stopped using Digg.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Thu 1st May '08 7:25AM
4678 Posts

General was bold enough to comment:

This reminds me of why I stopped using Digg.

And a very good demonstration of why these forums are the best around

Magina*
Mrs Spanners if you please.
Thu 1st May '08 12:22PM
288 Posts

I would suggest a 32" would be a great choice

32"... that's ginormous!!!!!!!!!!.... like a cinema!!!!

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Thu 1st May '08 12:45PM
4213 Posts

Magina was bold enough to comment:

32"... that's ginormous!!!!!!!!!!.... like a cinema!!!!

If you get one with a fairly minimal surround they aren't that big (Same height as a 24" non widescreen telly). My mum has just got a 26" widescreen and its ok, but not ideal for gaming or HD viewing. Mine is a 37" if you can remember what that was like.

Magina*
Mrs Spanners if you please.
Thu 1st May '08 2:53PM
288 Posts

...Mine is a 37" if you can remember what that was like.

The temptation to descend into 'Carry on...' style innuendo is all too much for me....

Yes I remember.... it was extra-ginormous!!!... like really big cinema.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Thu 5th Jun '08 12:52PM
4213 Posts
Ars who famously gave the PS3 a 6/10 upon release have just written a new review taking into account the current firmware and availability of games and given it a 9!

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/playstation-3-blu-ray.ars

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Thu 5th Jun '08 4:51PM
4678 Posts

Ars who famously gave the PS3 a 6/10 upon release have just written a new review taking into account the current firmware and availability of games and given it a 9!

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/playstation-3-blu-ray.ars

Speaking of replacing the sixaxis, has anyone actually found a game where the tilt-sensing is actually useful rather than just wildly annoying? I thought it sounded great in GTAIV but I've found myself switching off every motion sensing option one by one as they all just caused me to weave wildly all over the place or lurch forwards and backwards on a motorbike like Rain Man

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Thu 5th Jun '08 6:55PM
4213 Posts

Speaking of replacing the sixaxis, has anyone actually found a game where the tilt-sensing is actually useful rather than just wildly annoying?

It's rubbish and annoying in Drakes Fortune and Motorstorm, but rather good in Ratchet and Clank where they use it for ball rolling puzzles flying and parachuting. The sixaxis doesn't work anywhere near as well as the Wiimote for motion controls. Mario Kart with the Wii Wheel is surprisingly fun.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 9th Jun '08 5:56PM
4678 Posts

It's rubbish and annoying in Drakes Fortune and Motorstorm, but rather good in Ratchet and Clank where they use it for ball rolling puzzles flying and parachuting. The sixaxis doesn't work anywhere near as well as the Wiimote for motion controls. Mario Kart with the Wii Wheel is surprisingly fun.

I got Flow yesterday and ended up having to use the tilt thing - turns out it's actually highly sensitive and accurate after a bit of practice. I can now use it to control the motorbikes in GTA4 and it's much more fun, if trickier. I don't think it'll ever be very useful except for a few gimmicky games.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Games

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedKelly is The Daddy