Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
What would be your policies? - 1 to 13
Return To The Big Questions

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Tue 22nd Apr '08 5:43PM
4597 Posts
With all this talk of the American elections going on and the big fight between Democratic candidates I've found myself wondering what really are the issues that matter to people these days? Since Barack and Hillary both have to tow the party line on most major issues the subtleties of their policies become more important and people will find themselves leaning towards the better stance on environmental issues or more realistic foreign policies.
So if you found yourself in a race to a position of power what would you use as your trump card? Big investments into new technologies to benefit your people, a humanitarian agenda to help the poor around the world and pull out of armed conflicts, idealistic promises that in practice you probably couldn't deliver or a bunch of less controversial crowd-pleasers?

I think purely to enable myself to sleep at night I'd stop haemorraging money into useless armed occupations and put it back into the NHS, the education system and homeless charities. I'd also stick a large chunk of the tax from petrol into renewable power generation. And I'd do all I could to get guys like Mugabe out of power and democracy installed.

Epicure_mammon
I'm not crazy cause I take the RIGHT pills :)
Tue 22nd Apr '08 9:47PM
140 Posts
I quite like the idea of linking the minimum wage to the basic tax band. HMG have decided that the minimum wage is the smallest amount of money anyone can sensibly live on - so why tax people who are earning less than that?

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 23rd Apr '08 5:11PM
4213 Posts
I would have to go with the total seperation of church and state and abolition of all faith based schools. I would also move the teaching of science away from the history of science and towards a focus on building critical reasoning and understanding the scientific method. I would reduce the amount of testing and homework young kids have to deal with so they get the chance to be children. Give all kids the right to free state provided musical education.
I would impose a significant tax on every property you own, but don't either live in or operate a business out of so people can have a chance of getting on the property ladder.
I would also issue licences for all therapies and psychics based on a double blinded test being completed demonstrating a statisticly significant result.

Emo Squid
sanctus, sanctus, sanctus
Thu 24th Apr '08 4:47PM
624 Posts

General was bold enough to comment:
Give all kids the right to free state provided musical education.

Hear, hear! In the not too distant future (hopefully) the psychological & therapeutic aspects of music will be fully understood.

I'm with you on the property ladder thing as well, but if that was brought in now, I reckon a lot of people would end up paying for it through increased rent.

Diziet
optical moose
Thu 24th Apr '08 5:43PM
2522 Posts

Emo Squid was bold enough to comment:

I'm with you on the property ladder thing as well, but if that was brought in now, I reckon a lot of people would end up paying for it through increased rent.

i agree. i think a land tax would encourage landlords to up the rent.

since when did music stop being part of the national curriculum??? i only found out last year that they'd stopped teaching home economics (when i found out they were bringing it back!).

i don't know much about politics but an increase in spending on care of the elderly would be nice.

Emo Squid
Fri 25th Apr '08 9:18AM
624 Posts

Diziet was bold enough to comment:
since when did music stop being part of the national curriculum???

It didn't, but if you want to get good at anything or do ABRSM grades, you'd best get your wallet out.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Fri 25th Apr '08 10:01AM
4213 Posts
My school was supposed to be the best in the county for music and the way it went was pretty much. All those of you who can read music come over here and learn stuff and for all those of you who can't here is a waterproof book with chewable edges, sit in the corner and try not to hurt yourselves.

Emo Squid
Fri 25th Apr '08 11:03AM
624 Posts

General was bold enough to comment:
My school was supposed to be the best in the county for music and the way it went was pretty much. All those of you who can read music come over here and learn stuff and for all those of you who can't here is a waterproof book with chewable edges, sit in the corner and try not to hurt yourselves.

It was pretty much the same at my school - the emphasis was very much on the classically trained students who were already about grade 6 on a traditional instrument. I remember quite clearly that 'experimentation' was positively encouraged in the curriculum, but this was seldom encouraged in the classroom.
I'm happy to report that this is no longer the case. My girlfriend teaches music in a high school and has worked very hard to ensure her lessons are differentiated across the spectrum of musical forms. Music technology is now dirt cheap, which was not the case 15 or so years ago, so it's much easier for students to create what they hear in there heads without any formal knowledge of music theory. I've worked with students myself who, if anything, have been put-off compositional work because of the theory. However, sit them down in front of a sequencer and they will get results quickly... and really enjoy themselves in the process. Sweet.
Be that as it may, I firmly believe that the basics of rhythm and harmony should be taught & encouraged from a much earlier age. Music is language that is unique amongst other languages in that it has the capacity to communicate on a purely emotional level. Oops, sorry, thread-derailing alert!

Diziet
optical moose
Sun 27th Apr '08 5:04PM
2522 Posts

Emo Squid was bold enough to comment:

Oops, sorry, thread-derailing alert!

nah, great post!

i think i would make it compulsory that all children from an early age be given a stick and a little drum and told to make as much noise as they want. i know that i want my child to be musically minded because it opens you up to so much. in short, i would make a policy that actively encourages kids to get into music, be it guitar based, r n b or even 'grime'.

your girlfriend is a violinesque genius, by the way. she's exactley the kind of person needed to enforce my policy

Agentgonzo
There's no pee in catheter!
Tue 29th Apr '08 12:41PM
811 Posts

I would impose a significant tax on every property you own, but don't either live in or operate a business out of so people can have a chance of getting on the property ladder.

<Former Accountant Alert>They do already tax this. Second homes come under Capital gains tax when you sell it and you get taxed income tax on the rent. But I'm with you that there are too many people estate building.

My policies. Abolish NI charges and just lump it together with normal tax as that's where it goes anyway.
Re-privatise public transport and subsidise it as it should be to
a) let less mobile people get around without a car - this includes restarting the less-frequented routes that have been shut down as they were deemed unprofitable.
b) cheaper than using a car to encourage people to stop using their cars and clogging up the roads and atmosphere.
Plough ALL vehicle and road tax into the road networks/public transport/environmental programmes.
Raise taxes on industrial plants that pollute and use this to directly fund clean energy projects and build a shed load of offshore wind turbine stations. Old and abandoned oil rigs would be ideal for this.
Abandon all variable road pricing policies as it just won't work.
Put all the old polytechnics back to polytechnics and lower the government's target of getting 50% of people university educated down to about 20%. University should be for the elite who _want_ to learn, rather than the people who want 3 years of partying and do a degree in carpentry* or kite surfing*.
Charge Mr Blair with unprovoked invasion of another nation's national soil.
Abolish child maintenance grants. If you can't afford to bring a child into the world, then you should rethink it. If you got pregnant without thinking it through, then it's your tough luck. You can always adopt/abort**. If you don't want to do that and still can't afford it, then child services should take the child away from you - you're obviously not responsible enough to raise one.

*I'm not saying that carpentry is useless - far from it. You should learn it through the old vocational style work and apprenticeships rather than theory at university. Kite flying is useless as a job.
**This discussion is for another thread

Diziet
optical moose
Tue 29th Apr '08 1:07PM
2522 Posts

Agentgonzo was bold enough to comment:

Abolish child maintenance grants. If you can't afford to bring a child into the world, then you should rethink it. If you got pregnant without thinking it through, then it's your tough luck. You can always adopt/abort**. If you don't want to do that and still can't afford it, then child services should take the child away from you - you're obviously not responsible enough to raise one.

there are many things i'd like to say in response to this and not a single one of them is worksafe.

edit: The Daily Mail forums can be found on the Daily Mail website.

Emo Squid
Tue 29th Apr '08 3:07PM
624 Posts

Diziet was bold enough to comment:

Agentgonzo was bold enough to comment:

there are many things i'd like to say in response to this and not a single one of them is worksafe.

edit: The Daily Mail forums can be found on the Daily Mail website.

Oh dear....

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Wed 30th Apr '08 1:22PM
4597 Posts
Those are some stonking policies General, I heartily agree with your educational ideas - along with generally improving the quality of education in the country I think they would greatly increase children's enjoyment of education and hopefully help to reduce truancy and anti-social behaviour.
And AG those are some very sensible environmental policies - It's a losing battle to try and cut vehicle use whilst investing nothing in public transport.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To The Big Questions

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedDemian is The Daddy