Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Freesat - 1 to 7
Return To Techy Corner

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Wed 7th May '08 1:28PM
4597 Posts
Freesat has just been launched by the BBC and ITV and it's looking very good! 80 channels going up to 200 in the next few years.
With the cost of equipment and installation anywhere between 150 and 200 I'm very tempted to go for it as it's not much more than the cost of getting my terrestrial aerial fixed and getting a new freeview box.
It also already provides two HD channels with more on the way!
Anyone looking to use it?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7384928.stm

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Thu 8th May '08 8:55AM
1673 Posts
I was kind of pleased and kind of disappointed when I heard this.

Pleased because it's great news that we mere mortals can get HDTV without paying an extra subscription (I say "extra" because we already pay for TV licenses). Disappointed because we've only just got a BT Vision box, and the thought of having yet another electronic box under our TV is off-putting, even to me. (As is having a satellite dish, if I'm completely honest.) Not only would there be another device taking up space and electricity, but there's the whole faff of working out how to wire the thing into the plethora of devices aready there. Come to think of it, presumably there's no way to record from it?

But still, Torchwood in HD is kind of tempting.... and the Nancies...

Spanners*
Sun 11th May '08 7:50PM
4597 Posts
Well remember the great thing about the BT boxes is the TV on demand and Freesat can't provide that.
I haven't seen any freesat pvrs on the market yet but I'm sure they're not far away.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 12th May '08 12:05PM
4213 Posts
Some of the guys in my team put together the Freesat system.

I think it's going to be a really great platform because there is just so much more bandwidth for HD on Satellite and a lot of people (myself included) still just can't get Freeview.

If you are thinking about trying it out I would hold off for a couple of months because the current range of boxes are nothing to write home about and there is some much better stuff in the pipeline.

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Mon 12th May '08 12:22PM
1673 Posts

General was bold enough to comment:
Some of the guys in my team put together the Freesat system.... there is some much better stuff in the pipeline.

Ooh, top secret insider knowledge! Come on General - spill the beans!

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 12th May '08 12:54PM
4213 Posts

Malcolm was bold enough to comment:

General was bold enough to comment:
Some of the guys in my team put together the Freesat system.... there is some much better stuff in the pipeline.

Ooh, top secret insider knowledge! Come on General - spill the beans!

The only insider information I'm privy to is things like how the statistical multiplexing works and what kind of ancillary data is inserted, but I would worry that people would die of boredom if I talked about it!

On the set top box front the current gen of stuff has been rushed to market for launch so the next range that becomes available will be much better put togather.

Spanners*
Tue 13th May '08 11:18AM
4597 Posts
Sounds like it would definitely be worth waiting a while to get a PVR then. Still tempted to get it with a cheap receiver that we could upgrade in a year or 2.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Techy Corner

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedMagina is The Daddy