By bye hackers
Help Me Help the Environment - 1 to 7
Return To The Big Questions

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Sun 11th May '08 7:41PM
4597 Posts
Hi all
So I've got a little side-project that I've been working on for a while which is an environmental website which gives news on environmental issues and what you can do to help but without being all doom and gloom. Basically I want it to have an ethos of 'it's not too late to save the world' about it.
Now I've got the site set up but I need content! It's running an RSS aggregator for environmental stories and a page where I debunk all these crazy environmental myths you hear such as 'turning on a fluorescent buld instantaneously uses an hour's worth of electricity' but other than that it bare. Does anyone want to help write stories, source articles, check facts, blog about current issues? Or can anyone suggest any good resources I can use?
The site is currently at http://www.thedaddy.org/mysphere (mySphere is the 'working title') but there ain't much there. I'd just really love to collaborate with some good people and see if we can use the skills we have to make a difference

Edit: it's now at http://www.futurefootprint.co.uk

Dregan
a flim flam is as good as a shim sham sam
Mon 12th May '08 12:38PM
843 Posts
While I can't think of much new content, under the "One Person Can't Make a Difference" section I think your maths is out at the end, if the millenium stadium consumes 715kW per hour and one chappie saves 429kW per year, then surely his saved energy can only power the stadium for 0.6 hours?

Spanners*
Mon 12th May '08 3:18PM
4597 Posts

Dregan was bold enough to comment:
While I can't think of much new content, under the "One Person Can't Make a Difference" section I think your maths is out at the end, if the millenium stadium consumes 715kW per hour and one chappie saves 429kW per year, then surely his saved energy can only power the stadium for 0.6 hours?

Yeah I need to go through that one again - it's quite involved and it's been a long time since my Match A-Level. Still though, one person's saved energy powering the Millenium Stadium for 0.6 hours is a pretty darned impressive!

Dregan
a flim flam is as good as a shim sham sam
Tue 13th May '08 4:15PM
843 Posts

Spanners was bold enough to comment:

Dregan was bold enough to comment:

Yeah I need to go through that one again - it's quite involved and it's been a long time since my Match A-Level. Still though, one person's saved energy powering the Millenium Stadium for 0.6 hours is a pretty darned impressive!

Aye, very true :D

Magina*
Mrs Spanners if you please.
Wed 14th May '08 12:23PM
288 Posts
We could have a TDDO tree planting day/event/competition.......

Spanners*
Sun 24th Aug '08 5:46PM
4597 Posts
Right, I've finally found the spare time to get this launched properly. As the domain name I was after (mySphere.co.uk) got nabbed whilst I was being busy with other tasks in the past few months I've rebranded as Future Footprint

I'm really keen to get this off the ground so there will be a much more content going on there in the next few weeks but I'd also love contributions from any of you who fancy helping. I'll take any sort of articles, reports on environmental projects, creative writing... Anything environmental that people will want to read.

The banner up there is only temporary (Malcolm is designing me a proper one) but the rest of the site is functioning and looking happy

Suggestions this way please!

Spanners*
Mon 13th Oct '08 1:31PM
4597 Posts
Here's some encouraging news I've just found out
http://redgreenandblue.org/2008/10/11/eu-bans-incandescent-light-bulbs/
Incandescent bulbs banned in Europe after 2010! Bring it!

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To The Big Questions

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedMalcolm is The Daddy