Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Knitting - 1 to 3
Return To Creativity

Magina*
Mrs Spanners if you please.
Thu 22nd May '08 4:56PM
288 Posts
Having seen evidence thedaddy.org knitting talents I thought I'd ask for some advice...

I am currently in the process of learning to knit, but - and this may be a really dumb question - i'm having trouble changing froma K to P stitch within the same row. After battling with this for a few hours I've discovered it works if I pull the wool up between the needles, forward for K, back for P. Is there an easier way of doing this?

My pattern is K,P,K,P... and so it's a pain to keep moving the wool back and forth. Can anyone help????????

Allen Key
Stagnating, like a packet of crisps on the roof.
Fri 23rd May '08 12:23PM
510 Posts
When you're making a K, the yarn always needs to be at the back. When you're making a P, it's always at the front.

So I'm afraid moving the yarn back and forth between stitches, as you've worked out, is the only way of doing it! It does get easier with practice.

Just out of interest, how do you hold your needles? If you hold them sort of like a knife and fork (i.e. with your hands over the top), something like the rib pattern you're doing is a bit more of a faff because you're having to let go of the right needle on each stitch (known as 'throwing'). I hold mine so the right needle is balanced on my hand with the yarn wrapped round my fingers, so you just need to flick it forwards to make each stitch without dropping and picking up the needle each time (know as 'wrapping'). It's a bit odd until you get the hang of it, but I find it much quicker, and your fingers soon retain the 'memory' of where they're supposed to be and what they're supposed to be doing. Plus throwing always used to give me really bad cramp in my right hand.

Everyone's different though, so go with whichever you're most comfortable with. But if you're interested, let me know and I'll try and explain wrapping a bit better! (Apologies if that was more info than you were after!)

Magina*
Mrs Spanners if you please.
Fri 23rd May '08 1:41PM
288 Posts
Ah ha! Yes that makes sense, I'll try it!! I normally hold both needles, but I do tend to get cramp in my right hand.

Thanks Allen Key!!

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Creativity

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedDemian is The Daddy