Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Ubuntu-related issues - 1 to 3
Return To Techy Corner

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Mon 2nd Jun '08 8:32AM
4597 Posts
I am now an entirely Microsoft-free man! After Windows rendered my main machine unusable and I purchases a very funky (yet not as fast as it once was) Lifebook from Malcolm I decided to get Ubuntu into my life. Xubuntu to be specific as the lighter resource load seems to be exactly what my machines need for a new lease of life.
It's working for me so far - easy initial setup, loads of apps ready to go. Fairly good hardware support.

However with any Linux system there are a couple of little technical issues that I'm having trouble with and I throw to seasoned users out there:

Firstly my soundcard isn't working. It's an onboard thing from a two year old Novatech desktop. That is genuinely all I can tell you about it.

Secondly I've got a scrolling desktop thing going on (the desktop is bigger than the screen and moving the mouse to the edges of the screen scrolls it round) which seems to be unconnected with the resolution - I've tried changing the resolution up and down but it's still scrolling to the same extent. I'm using a Matrox g450 video card

Any thoughts?

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 2nd Jun '08 11:11AM
4213 Posts
This Page: http://www.linux.com/base/ldp/howto/Hardware-HOWTO/video.html

Suggests that your video card is supported.
However you may find that problem is with your monitor. Ubuntu does the scrolling thing when it thinks it is sending to a monitor which cannot support the output resolution it is sending. Try checking your monitor settings. Ubuntu didn't auto detect mine and I had to set them manually. If that doesn't work you will probably need to manually edit xorg.conf which is a pretty full on thing to do here for a guide:
http://www.linux.com/feature/118108

This is a list of supported sound hardware: http://www.linux.com/base/ldp/howto/Hardware-HOWTO/sound.html

Not much more help if you don't know what card it is. I would suggest getting a cheapo PCI from the supported list as sound cards tend to just work in Ubuntu if the drivers exist. (You have checked the restricted drivers tool to make sure Ubuntu didn't need your say so to install it?)

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Tue 3rd Jun '08 8:11AM
4597 Posts
Ooh great help General
I got the display sorted out wierdly by increasing the resolution. The scrolling got less pronounced the higher I took it and at 1600 x 1200 it's fine!
I love me Ubuntu but damn there's some configuring to do

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Techy Corner

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedAmanshu is The Daddy