By bye hackers
MIRACLE FRUIT IS HERE! BOOK YOUR SLOT NOW! - 1 to 30
Return To Creativity 1 of 2 - 1, 2  Next> Final>>

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 3rd Jun '08 1:25PM
4678 Posts
http://miraclefruit.co.uk/

Miracle Fruit Plant, sometimes known as Miraculous Berry, (Synsepalum dulcificum) is a plant first documented by an explorer named Des Marchais during his 1725 excursion to its native West Africa.

Although the berry itself is not sweet, it contains an active glycoprotein molecule, with some trailing carbohydrate chains, called miraculin. When the fleshy part of the fruit is eaten, this molecule binds to the tongue's taste buds, causing changes to gustation - in particular bitter and sour foods (such as lemons and limes) consumed later to taste sweet. This effect lasts up to two hours.

Has anyone tried any of this? I would have dismissed it out of hand as nonsense but I just read an article about it in today's Independent. Apparently after eating the fruit, lemons taste smooth, sugary and sherbety, and vinegar tastes like treacle.

People are apparently holding 'fruit dropping' parties where they eat dried miracle fruit pills then taste lots of different types of food to see how they taste with the effect.

If nobody has tried these I'm willing to order some for research purposes and report back Although I'm thinking that they're not going to prevent the onset of massive acid indigestion after eating limes, vinegar and lemons...

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Tue 3rd Jun '08 1:32PM
4597 Posts
Ooh I'd like to give that a go. We should have our own TDDO tasting party

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 3rd Jun '08 2:57PM
4678 Posts

Spanners was bold enough to comment:
Ooh I'd like to give that a go. We should have our own TDDO tasting party

Will get some ordered next week then. Anyone other Manc forummers fancy a go? Post here before next friday to get your orders in, if there's not too many I'll get the miracle fruit in and we can all bring foods to try!

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Tue 3rd Jun '08 5:29PM
1673 Posts
Aw, this sounds great! I want to try some!

Maybe we should have synchronised Manchester and York-based tasting events? Could even attempt some kind of crazy live link-up...

Any Yorkshire-based forumers interested in monkeying around with their taste sensations?

Kelly*
Poke me in the knees and call me Roger
Tue 3rd Jun '08 7:34PM
758 Posts
A thoroughly hesitant and nervous "yes" from me to the York suggestion!

Gertrude
Landy Dirtlady
Tue 3rd Jun '08 7:47PM
579 Posts
Are you telling me that I can eat fruit and have it taste like cake? Yes yes yes yes yes!

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Wed 4th Jun '08 8:14AM
4678 Posts

Malcolm was bold enough to comment:

some kind of crazy live link-up...

This would be fantastic! We can even make it a competition, eurovision style, or something... with votes cast for the best altered-tasting foods!

And I suppose we'd better start thing up foods with bitter / sour components to try.

I propose 'Fangtastic', the ridiculously tart fizzy sweets.
Lemons and limes of course, have to be tried. Oh, and grapefruit.
Personally I want to see what a ripe raspberry ought to taste like, since every one I've ever eaten has been horrible and sour.

Clara
Even red onions have a silver lining
Wed 4th Jun '08 8:58AM
838 Posts

Malcolm was bold enough to comment:

Any Yorkshire-based forumers interested in monkeying around with their taste sensations?

Erm, I think so!

Malcolm*
Wed 4th Jun '08 11:40AM
1673 Posts

Demian was bold enough to comment:

We can even make it a competition, eurovision style, or something... with votes cast for the best altered-tasting foods!

Ladies and gentlemen, here are the results from the York vote. Mesdames et messieurs, voici le résultat de la vote Yorkaise.

Vinegar - eight points.
La vinaigre - huit points.
Citric acid - ten points.
L'acide citrique - dix points.
Slovenia - twelve points.
La slovénie - douze points.

Curse those Baltics.

Allen Key
Stagnating, like a packet of crisps on the roof.
Thu 5th Jun '08 2:30PM
510 Posts
Hmm, interesting - count me in for York-based miracles!

Demian was bold enough to comment:

Personally I want to see what a ripe raspberry ought to taste like, since every one I've ever eaten has been horrible and sour.

Oh, poor Demian - that's one of the saddest things I've ever heard....

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Fri 6th Jun '08 4:49PM
4678 Posts

Allen Key was bold enough to comment:

Oh, poor Demian - that's one of the saddest things I've ever heard....

Aww Thank you for your sympathy, but all will be rectified once we get some of this stuff on order, nothing need ever taste sour again!

Swoop*
CHIMPO
Mon 9th Jun '08 10:22AM
1558 Posts
Sounds like an awesome fruit. I'll have to spend some time stocking up on the sour and bitter.
I've had wheatgrass recommened as something vile that might be improved.

Does it work the other way round? Will it make pavlova taste dire? Or will honey become too sweet to bear?

Allen Key
Stagnating, like a packet of crisps on the roof.
Mon 9th Jun '08 2:57PM
510 Posts
They were talking about this on Have I Got News For You - apparently it makes Guinness taste like chocolate milkshake. To be honest, I'm rather partial to Guinness that tastes of Guinness, but I think it merits further investigation. Perhaps tried in conjuction with actual chocolate milkshake, which would answer Swoop's question re. it's effect on already-sweet stuff.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 10th Jun '08 9:48AM
4678 Posts
4 days to sign up! I'll collect all the orders together on Saturday and order the stuff so post in this thread if you want to be included.

Magic fruit dust is on me - offer limited to one sachet per person!

Gertrude
Landy Dirtlady
Fri 13th Jun '08 2:26PM
579 Posts
Did anyone else see Gordon Ramsey and Graham Norton testing this on the Graham Norton Show last night? Somewhat mixed results, but it looked a lot of fun. I want a go!

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Fri 13th Jun '08 10:47PM
4678 Posts
OK, I'll assume everyone who's posted in here is up for it, one more day to get orders in and I'll order them on saturday night.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Sun 15th Jun '08 5:40PM
4678 Posts
Freeze Dried Fruit Postal Status - Delayed We are re-stocking asap - Hopefully before next month. We thank our many customers for their continued patience.

Ah well... looks like it's on hold for a couple of weeks at least. Still, time for more people to sign up!

Spanners*
Sun 15th Jun '08 5:57PM
4597 Posts
I want to try licking a variety of spices. Would a hot curry still be painful do you think?

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 16th Jun '08 8:43AM
4678 Posts

Spanners was bold enough to comment:
I want to try licking a variety of spices. Would a hot curry still be painful do you think?

Apparently it's just the bitter and sour tones it masks. I don't think 'hotness' is one of the components of taste, just a chemical effect on the membranes of the mouth.

Sweet & Sour might be interesting... actually probably just horrible

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Wed 3rd Sep '08 11:04PM
4678 Posts
Still no luck getting hold of these in the UK, so here is a trip report from someone on another forum to tide you over.

I read about the Miracle Fruit many years back and always wanted to try it. Unfortunately, the fruit is impossible to find. However, people have started extracting the active ingredient and putting them into tablets recently.
So what is the deal? There is a protein that is called Miraculin. When it is allowed to sit on the surface of your tongue for a while (30 seconds is optimal) it changes how your taste receptors work. Sour, acidic substance become sweet for 30-120minutes!!!

So i recently picked these things up:

They run ~$15-20 for a box of 10 tablets. You can use half a tablet for good effect. About 20 min ago I tried one out for the first time.

T -0:10 = I found some lime juice, raspberries, an orange, and a nectarine in the fridge. I tried them all first just to get a reference.

T 0:00 = Dropped half a tab on my tongue and let it sit for 30 seconds. It tastes like a tart berry flavor. Not bad. Has a bit of a bite.

T +0:01 = Lime juice.. holy shit. ITS SWEET! I can still taste some of the sour. The bitter taste is still present though. Not the best thing in the world but waaaay easier to get down than normal lime juice.

T +0:02 = Raspberries. OMFG!!!! I could not stop eating these. I ate an entire package of them in about 30 seconds. There is a little bit of sour still there but there have this insanely good sweet taste. It is that sweet taste you find in perfectly ripened fruit, but stronger. Best raspberries I have ever tasted

T +0:04 = Orange. This was incredibly good too. Same thing as the raspberries. Absolutely mouth watering.

T +0:06 = Nectarine. Pretty good. They arent that sour to being with but there was a noticeable increase in sweetness.

T +0:10 = back to gorging myself on the oranges and raspberries. They taste like some exotic fruit that few have ever tasted because they are so sweet that they must be so overly ripe that they will rot within hours...

T +?? = I heard beer tastes different due to the berry also maybe modifying bitter tastes. I opened some anchor steam and tried it. It was a bit sweeter but I think the berry was starting to wear off.

these things are incredible. I am going to buy a few boxes to keep around so I can share them with friends and completely blow their minds.

Malcolm*
Thu 4th Sep '08 10:27AM
1673 Posts
Firebox.com are currently out of stock but expecting more on the 9th September...

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Thu 4th Sep '08 11:23AM
2708 Posts
http://www.fruitmiracle.co.uk/

It's tablet form, but £9 for 20 servings...

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Thu 4th Sep '08 6:06PM
4678 Posts

Amanshu was bold enough to comment:
http://www.fruitmiracle.co.uk/

It's tablet form, but £9 for 20 servings...

Fantastic! Well, probably - I just put in an order, but after validating my details the 'nochex' payment system 404'd. I have the receipt for the payment and have mailed fruitmiracle to see if they have received the payment. If so, it should be here tomorrow, so next step is establishing a live York-Manchester video link up, so I'll liaise with Malcolm. Once thats done we'll pick a date and start getting the freaky foods in!

I warn you all now, there's no way I'm drinking vinegar no matter how delicious it tastes, can you imagine the amount of Rennies you'd need to sort that out!?

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Sun 7th Sep '08 7:05PM
4678 Posts
No reply yet from Fruitmiracle. Just sent a rather snippy email requesting an immediate update as to the status of the order. The site guarantees a response within 24 hours and I've waited 3 days already...

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 8th Sep '08 12:52PM
4678 Posts
Iiiiit's here!

Right, next step is the weblink, then we'll pick a date! Malcolm, I shall be on the phone in the next day or two

Also, the back of the pack says 'It's FUN! Make your lover's kisses taste sweeter!!'

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 8th Sep '08 3:58PM
4678 Posts
Time to start compiling a list of must-tastes. Find out what all those sour foods would be like if they were sweet instead!

Lemon
Lime
Vinegar
Tangfastics (and other sour sweets)
Raspberries
Oranges
Sherbet
Gooseberries
Grapefruit / Grapefruit Juice
Tomatoes
Rhubarb
Ginger Beer

Post your suggestions and I'll have a master list ready for the shopping trip.

Oh, and I am providing free miracle fruit tablets to all who participate, you'll probably just have to shell out for a share of the foods to try (if you live in York - I'll supply the Manchester posse with foodstuffs too). The idea is to meet up one (maybe) Saturday evening and have a Eurovision-style webcam linkup to determine the winning foodstuffs. All you need are your tastebuds and a way to get to either my house in Manchester or Malcolm and Kelly's in York!

I'm not posting my address here publicly but will PM it to all who intend to turn up.

Spanners*
Mon 8th Sep '08 6:43PM
4597 Posts
Magina and I are in. This sounds like it could get very silly indeed. I think I'd like to try a prawn under the miracle fruit's effect (me, not the prawn. I doubt it has the intellect to care if lemons taste sweet or not)

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Wed 10th Sep '08 5:04PM
4678 Posts
Webcam linkup works! I've just had the uncanny experience of full-screen hi-res live action Malcolm on my PC A little bit fuzzier on the other end but working well, but I'll buy a proper webcam anyway next week.

Xander said he's up for it at the Manc end too.

So all we need now is a date! I'll leave a day or two to see if anyone has any preferences, then I'll start making suggestions, probably early on a saturday evening?

Xander
The panda is the evolutionary equivalent of living off benefits.
Wed 10th Sep '08 6:35PM
169 Posts
Somethin else to add to your shopping list: try Ginger Beer that can be very bitter.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Wed 17th Sep '08 10:06AM
4678 Posts
Added!

OK, Miracle fruits have been dispatched to York this morning.

2 dates to suggest: Saturday @6pm (not too late as we don't want to have eaten first!), 27th September or 4th october? If anyone has strong feelings against Saturdays we can easily renegotiate.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Creativity 1 of 2 - 1, 2  Next> Final>>

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedSwoop is The Daddy