Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Fixing an iRiver? - 1 to 5
Return To Techy Corner

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 16th Jun '08 2:58PM
4678 Posts
For some reason people keep bringing me broken electronic junk in the expectation I can fix it. I can't even delete the texts out of my mobile! Anyway, the latest one seems to be some sort of overpriced iPod clone I've never heard of called an iRiver. There are instructions for resetting it on the web, i.e. taking out the batteries and then using the 'Portable Device Initialisation', but this one is seemingly dead in the water even after this process. Don't suppose any of you have a) ever used one of these, and b) knows some secret 'hard reset' to boot the thing back to its factory settings?

It's political correctness gone mad!

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 16th Jun '08 3:36PM
4213 Posts
I have two of them!

What model is it?
I had Windows Media Player brick Giraffes H10, but I've never had any problems with my H340.

Depending on the model you can put rock box firmware on them which is fairly awesome.

The iRiver fan site is usually the best place to start.
http://www.misticriver.net/

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 16th Jun '08 5:05PM
4678 Posts
Ooh, result! Thanks General. It's a 6gb H10 model. Do you have one?

Sorry for calling them junk if they're actually good machines, I just can't believe she paid 160 quid for a 6gb mp3 player

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 16th Jun '08 11:12PM
4213 Posts
I do indeed have exactly the one.

When did she pay 160 for it?

I bought mine for 150 but at the time a 4GB iPod Mini (remember those) was about 180.

The H10 was the poster child for Windows "Plays for Sure" except it should have been called "Plays sometimes but other times bricks your player"
The only way to sync a MTS H10 is with Windows Media Player and if WMP crashes during the process which happens all the time it destroys your player so it won't even boot.

The only way to fix it is to convert it to UMS using the following instructions which makes it work about ten times better.

http://www.misticriver.net/wiki/index.php/H10_Firmware_Conversion:_MTP/UMS

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 17th Jun '08 8:47AM
4678 Posts
Incredible - only posted here on the offchance, once again TDDO comes up trumps! Thanks G!

He says she bought it about a year ago. I'm sure mp3s could be had much cheaper by then...

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Techy Corner

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedMalcolm is The Daddy