Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Administering a dedicated games server - 1 to 2
Return To Techy Corner

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 26th Aug '08 12:51PM
4678 Posts
I've recently hired myself a TF2 server so that I can play the maps I like with the settings I like (9.8m/s^2? Pft!). I'll put the IP up later if anyone wants it.

However, as should probably have been expected, it's not quite as simple as just letting it run. The hosting company provides an interface of sorts but it's unfinished and broken in places, so I was seeing how much I could get done with a program called HLSW (I have no idea what it stands for but I like to tell myself it means Half Life Server Wrangler). I was wondering if any of you have experience with this? It seems to make it easy to change settings on the fly and reboot the server onto a new map, but the actual map selection seems to be defined by various text files on an FTP server, and when I change those the server resorts to booting the game into Gravelpit, which nobody wants to see happen.

So my questions: Is HLSW all I need? Is there another solution which would allow configuration settings and on-the-fly tweaks as well? Or are there other packages for this sort of this that anyone can recommend? Or any tutorials or beginners guides you've found useful?

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 26th Aug '08 4:31PM
4678 Posts
If anyone has TF2 and wants to test it, or come have a game with me and Swoop, the IP is 85.234.148.26, and the port is 27255. Should be called something like 'INX Gaming - Dunccc's Lowgrav Server.'

If you need a server running a particular map for your own fun, realistically it's going to be next weekend until I can get this tweaked to run just dm_store and floodzone so until then if anyone has a favourite map I'll run that on there till the weekend if you let me know what it is. Oh and I'll turn the lowgrav off on request

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Techy Corner

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedAmanshu is The Daddy