By bye hackers
Money! - 1 to 7
Return To Travel

Kelly*
Poke me in the knees and call me Roger
Tue 28th Oct '08 7:35PM
758 Posts
Hello there!

Now, on Sunday I shall be travelling to America. So will Malcolm. We have a question for you. We need to change some money into an American-spendable format, but aren't sure whether to get this as dollars, travellers cheques, or whatever else there might be available.

We realise that if we'd done this a month ago we'd have got more money for our pounds. . But we didn't.

What would all you forummers suggest?

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Wed 29th Oct '08 8:33AM
4678 Posts
Oil

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Wed 29th Oct '08 9:00AM
4597 Posts
I would recommend a combination of both. Travelers cheques have the safety of being replacable and in most of america you can spend them like money (although be warned, they normally ask for your passport anytime you want to use one). Of course though cash is just easy and the rate is generally slightly better for cash than for travellers cheques.
Also whatever you do make sure you split your money and cards across different pockets just in case. Don't keep your wallet in your back pocket, get a money belt or similar each (I recently bought one of these) and keep your passports under your clothing where possible. Also make at least a couple of copies of your travellers cheque numbers and split them up.
Where you're going is pretty safe but I have often heard it's good to keep a 'decoy' wallet in your back pocket with $20 and a tesco clubcard in it. Better to lose that than anything important!

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Wed 29th Oct '08 10:02AM
1673 Posts
That belt is great! Sadly probably too late to order one now, but we'll have a look for something suitably hideable.

What about credit cards? I know you can just use them to pay anywhere in the world (and I'm not talking about withdrawing cash as I know that's always really expensive) - is that a good idea, and then just pay the bill in Sterling when we get home? Or does it work out worse that way?

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 29th Oct '08 11:09AM
2708 Posts
To be honest I've always just gone with the hole in the wall once you get there. You do get charged a bit, but nothing too major and as long as you get out reasonably amounts you'll be fine. Then again it helps that HSBC have machines everywhere - I don't know what that's like for other banks.

As Spanners said, you're going to a reasonably safe area so I'd go with getting some traveller's cheques to start you off and the hole in the wall for the rest. I'd save the credit card for any big purchases - the traceability and insurance makes it worth it.

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Wed 12th Nov '08 8:09AM
4597 Posts
The missus and I are off to Cuba on Tuesday and I've been looking around at advice on the best currency to take but can't find a solid opinion. Does anyone have any ideas?
From what I hear dollars are out except when out and about small denomination dollar notes are good for the markets and dollar (or even American express sterling) traveller cheques can't be exchanged.
Also apparently it's standard there to add 11% on to any credit card transaction so they definitely need to be kept to a minimum.
As far as I can tell just taking a pocket full of twenties might be the best plan!

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Thu 13th Nov '08 8:42AM
4678 Posts
Found this link for ya:

http://forum.holidaywatchdog.com/Cuba-Cuba-Currency-what-to-take-Thread-2650.html

No no longer can you take anything american into cuba and ifyou do you will incure and hefty charge!

I have no been advised best bet is Sterling Cash and change in hotel or bank - if seen!!

you cannot take cuban pesos in or out the country (not the convertible one that is used anyhow!)

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Travel

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedMagina is The Daddy