Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Words we like and words we don't like - 1 to 17
Return To General Merriment

Xander
The panda is the evolutionary equivalent of living off benefits.
Thu 30th Oct '08 10:41PM
169 Posts
Heard on Radio 4 recently one of those programs discussing words. Got me thinking about some of my favourits as I listned in the car and ones I can't stand.

Like:

Disconbobulate - Love the way it flows but hard to put into conversation. "That confused me then I becaome all disconbobulated." Doesn't quite work.

Resevoir - Like the way if flows off the tongue.

Numpty - An insult but I like the way it sounds. "You utter numpty." It's versitile too.

Dislike:

Moreish - As in "these crisps are so moreish". Just can't stand it but on a tec point it sounds like bad grammar.

Sickly - Food related again as in "That cakes a bit sickly." So sickly = sweet. I like sweet stuff so have no use for the word sickly but can't other people just say "its a bit sweet" why use sickly. In my brain sickly take away the ly is sick and I think vomit. Not a good image when your enjoying eating something and some numpty says the word.

Thought I'd start a thread see what words people like and don't like and reasons why.

[Edit: I know we have a policy of not correcting spellings, but 'moorish' means something totally different -Demian]

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Fri 31st Oct '08 8:26AM
4678 Posts
I'd never really thought about it before but I see where you're going with 'sickly'. Also, it means ill too.

'Plinth' has always been my favourite word. It sounds like some sort of new swear word with a lisp.

'Razed' is rubbish word, as in 'razed to the ground'. Mainly because it sounds like raised.

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Fri 31st Oct '08 8:32AM
4597 Posts
I can't think of any particular words that get me but there are a couple of phrases I think are completely stupid:

"I do and I don't" - Which is it? Make up your mind!

Oh and when politicians, police chiefs etc talk about violent crime they continually refer to it as 'a cowardly act'. I just don't get that. Stabbing a teenager makes you a murdering scally dickweed but 'coward' just doesn't fit. why do they say this?

I am however a big fan of the word 'betwixt'.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Fri 31st Oct '08 9:39AM
4678 Posts

Spanners was bold enough to comment:

Oh and when politicians, police chiefs etc talk about violent crime they continually refer to it as 'a cowardly act'. I just don't get that. Stabbing a teenager makes you a murdering scally dickweed but 'coward' just doesn't fit. why do they say this.

I am however a big fan of the word 'betwixt'.

I always thought that was nonsensical. Newspapers in particular seem to use it to mean 'naughty or evil'.

And similar to betwixt: Interstices! Something awesome about the way it's pronounounced...

Magina*
Mrs Spanners if you please.
Fri 31st Oct '08 3:46PM
288 Posts
i like the word 'pooh'. it's just so silly. 'silly' is also a good word.

Xander
Fri 31st Oct '08 5:25PM
169 Posts

Spanners was bold enough to comment:
I can't think of any particular words that get me but there are a couple of phrases I think are completely stupid:

"I do and I don't" - Which is it? Make up your mind!

Thats a good one. The phrase I can't stand and everyone seem to be saying it is "I see what your saying but...".

Normally used during an argument. Especially annoying when the issue under dispute is so simple.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 3rd Nov '08 11:57AM
4678 Posts
Some other great words:

Wangle
Parsnip
Taramasolata
Plump
Pilkington
Gnu
Twang
Whence
Pelmet
Gland
Runcible
Tweezer
Fillibuster
Squish
Nostril
Elk

Gertrude
Landy Dirtlady
Wed 5th Nov '08 8:08AM
579 Posts
Polyptic.

Magina*
Mrs Spanners if you please.
Wed 5th Nov '08 12:31PM
288 Posts
willy

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Thu 6th Nov '08 9:22PM
2708 Posts

Magina was bold enough to comment:
willy

No he won't...

Doughnut
What am I doing here? And where are my shoes?
Fri 7th Nov '08 9:34AM
45 Posts
Irregular contributer here.
"antidisestablishmentarianism" is a fabulous word, but not easy to say when pissed!!

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Fri 7th Nov '08 10:41AM
4678 Posts

Doughnut was bold enough to comment:
Irregular contributer here.
"antidisestablishmentarianism" is a fabulous word, but not easy to say when pissed!!

Hello Doughnut, long time no see!
Try getting your tongue around 'flauccinauccinihilipilification' then
Or Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerrichwyrndrobyllllantisiliogogogoch...

Xander
Fri 7th Nov '08 5:06PM
169 Posts

Thats the village in Wales isn't it? Means something like: nice pleasant village at the bottom of a steap hill near a lake. Can't remember exactly.

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Thu 15th Jan '09 11:32AM
1673 Posts

Xander was bold enough to comment:

Thats the village in Wales isn't it? Means something like: nice pleasant village at the bottom of a steap hill near a lake. Can't remember exactly.

If I remember correctly, it's something along the lines of "St. Mary's church, near the rapid whirlpool by the white hazel trees, by the red caves of the church of St. Tysilio" or something like that.

Insufferable nerd as I obviously was at the age of about 12, I used to memorise things like that. Which is why, to this day, I can still spell and pronounce not only Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerichwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, but also floccinaucinihilipilification, antidisestablishmentarianism, and pneumonultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconeosis. And define them all, except the last one (which is some kind of lung disease, I think). I say all of this not to show off, but quite the opposite: I've just realised how full of tedium my mind is, and how clever I obviously thought it was to put these things there all those years ago*.

But back to the subject in hand:

Tenement. That's a good one.

*edit: And pi to 18 decimal places. And, of course, the Vogon poem. Good god.

Agentgonzo
There's no pee in catheter!
Thu 15th Jan '09 1:01PM
811 Posts

Over the past few years, I've started listening to podcasts quite a bit. Some of them have questions sent in by listeners, along with their location. As such, I've developed a new game where I send in a question (a question that I'd have probably sent in anyway) and pretend that I'm living in North Wales (in Dwygyfylchi* specifically) then see if they read out the question and what their attempt at pronunciation is. Sometimes I provide hints, sometimes I just let them try their hardest.

Back on topic, I've always liked "irk", "onyx", "pyre" and "ilk". Not sure why. I think that I like words with k, x and y in them. Again, not sure why. Maybe it's because those letters aren't as popular as others and I think they may get a bit depressed about it.

*Dwygyfylchi is a couple of miles from where my parents live. I'll let you all figure out how it's pronounced.

Xander
Tue 10th Feb '09 4:37PM
169 Posts
Word I don't like: 'Hubby' as in short for husband.

Came to my attention today in a staff kitchen it was full of 'Take A Break' type magazines and other such 'I cut my Hubbys penis off in a blind rage' real life story mags retailing at 80p.

My dislike is because I've never ever heard it used by anyone ever, the only place I've ever seen it is in printed form usually by the 'News of the World' or 'Take A Break'. I'm begining to think the word is a media invention.

Word I do like: Piffle

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 10th Feb '09 7:24PM
4213 Posts
I would include the words "Romp", "Lag" and "Tot" in this category.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To General Merriment

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedMagina is The Daddy