Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Registering a patent - 1 to 4
Return To Creativity

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Thu 6th Nov '08 1:43PM
4678 Posts
Does anyone have any experience in this? I'm happy to pay the registration fee but according the the UK Patents Office website I also have to pay a 130 fee for them to do a search to make sure someone else hasn't already invented it. However, I've searched the internet and in fact the patents database, nobody has even mentioned my idea on the internet and it's certainly not already registered. Additionally, it's so silly anyway that there's not a suggestion of an whiff of an iota of a chance that anyone's ever registered it as a patent. And apart from anything else I don't have a spare 130. So why should I have to pay someone else to do the same searches I've already done? Is there any way to simply pay the registration fee, and accept that the original inventor would be well entitled to sue me should it already be registered?

Bah. No wonder British innovation is at a low ebb if you need to be rich to invent something

(And no, I'm not revealing what it is until I either have patent pending or have abandoned the idea of patenting it. It's not marketable anyway and is purely a stupid project for my own entertainment. I just want to be the registered inventor of something!)

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Thu 6th Nov '08 5:28PM
4213 Posts
[EDITED!]

Do you ever watch Dragons Den?

You know the bit where they say they have had to remortgage their house?
Now you know why!

If you think about it the search is the only thing that stops patent trolls (And often it doesn't) so it needs to be thorough and discourage people from submitting flippant requests. Also be aware that if it were granted you would bar a huge cost in paying fees to sustain it (in the order of tens of thousands if you want it worldwide!).

Patenting things that arent going to make you money is not a good idea. Unless you are sure it is going to make you your fortune you are much better off making it an open source project and then perhaps people will help you with it and you will be contributing to society.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Thu 6th Nov '08 5:32PM
4678 Posts
Hmph. Nope, never seen Dragons Den as I haven't turned on a telly in around 10 years.

OK, thanks for the input G.
Guess there's nothing left for me to but write it all up and post it on thedaddy for you all to boggle at the ridiculousness. At least it's stupid enough that nobody will ever want to rip off my idea

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Thu 6th Nov '08 5:34PM
4213 Posts
Wow you read that quick.

I just changed it if you want to look again.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Creativity

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedMalcolm is The Daddy