Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
The unsurprising hypocricy of the BNP - 1 to 5
Return To The Big Questions

Xander
The panda is the evolutionary equivalent of living off benefits.
Sun 23rd Nov '08 9:28PM
169 Posts
Much to my surprise nobody has started this as a discussion. To big for the big questions? Thought I'd kick this off. I'm sure we are all well aware of the leak of BNP members private details.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7736794.stm

I find it strange that a party that wants to pull out of all human rights legislation is having the gaul to use the same legislation to protect itself.

I also like the way the BNP is complaining its some sort of Labour party conspiracy. Delusional paranoid bunch of fascists.

Speaking of which I watched the BBC news do an item on the leak of BNP members details. They featured an interview with a BNP activist. Clearly he didn't say much of any interest as he appeard for 5 seconds and said: "This leak it's like living in a fascist state."
Isn't that what he wants? Also how is a leak by free individuals onto a free media like living in a fascist state?

I also found Hazel Blears statement that she thought that many people had joined not because of racist or fascist doctrines but because they were turned off by mainstream political parties a bit hard to take. I mean if your a bit upset by the mainstream your really compromising your morals to join the BNP.

Minor I know but my other personal reason to hate the BNP is their use of the Union flag.

It's so asociated with them we can't use it. I also find it a tad ironic that they use something that was to bring together and unify people from different cultural and ethnic backgrounds.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 24th Nov '08 12:35PM
4213 Posts
I think they are still entitled to keep their political alegiences private regardless of how hatefull they maybe.

It is one of the cornerstones of democracy and it can't be selectively applied.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 24th Nov '08 3:37PM
2708 Posts
I wouldn't say that it's too big for the big questions, I think it's more a case that the vast majority of us have nothing to say on the subject. I would have to put my acceptance of the BNP somewhere around about "While I respect your right to these views - Really? Do actually believe that? How?"

I personally find their ideas (what little I know about them) to be so ludicrous I'd be unable to comment on them unless I had a commited opponent.

So from that angle the leaking of their personal data becomes something akin to if the Monster Raving Luny parties membership details were leaked. I feel bad for the individual members who have had their personal details released and I in no way condone the harassment that they have as a collective undergone.

Although I've got to admit I'm slightly bewildered by the people who are harassing them as well. I know of no better way of convincing someone they're right than namelessly threatening them. Besides if this person lived nearby and you didn't realise they were BNP then what's to stop them telling you that they're not and continuing regardless? If unspecified threats and random violence really worked then... Well pretty much every religion would have been wiped out by persecution at some point in history. Oh and terrorism would be much more popular than it actually is.

Agentgonzo
There's no pee in catheter!
Thu 27th Nov '08 1:28PM
811 Posts

Xander was bold enough to comment:
Minor I know but my other personal reason to hate the BNP is their use of the Union flag.

It's so asociated with them we can't use it. I also find it a tad ironic that they use something that was to bring together and unify people from different cultural and ethnic backgrounds.

Can you elaborate on this? It's the first that I've heard of it and I really don't associate the Union Flag (is that the same thing as the Union Jack?) with the BNP.

I do find it hilarious that the BNP is using the piece of legislation they were against to support their privacy now. If anyone hasn't heard Radio 4's News Quiz this week (they covered it quite a bit) I suggest you download the podcast and have a listen!

Xander
The panda is the evolutionary equivalent of living off benefits.
Thu 27th Nov '08 5:42PM
169 Posts

Xander was bold enough to comment:

They featured an interview with a BNP activist. Clearly he didn't say much of any interest as he appeard for 5 seconds and said: "This leak it's like living in a fascist state."
Isn't that what he wants? Also how is a leak by free individuals onto a free media like living in a fascist state?

Just been listening the pod cast link Agentgonzo put of the thread. They make the same point as I did (see above). Damn them if they are going nick my material. They should pay me a fee!

The Union flag is the same as the Union Jack. The difference is a Union Jack is only used on Navy ships. The Union flag for all other occasions. I think a Union Jack is longer and you can tell the difference by how the patern fits or somthing.

I thought everyone knew about the Union flag thing and right wing association? Look at any picture of the BNP they have the flag everywhere. Though it is more of a National Front Thing waving the Union flag around. The NF is the uglier cousin to the BNP, which is a bit like saying the SS is the uglier cousin of the SA.

I've heard of instances were requests have been made for Union flags to be removed because it's causing offence. Mostly on the grounds it's racist and has associations with the far right.

Having said that I hung a tiny Union flag I found in my office on the wall at work. We took bets on how long it would be up there until somone demanded its removal. I should add that I work for a screamingly PC city council. Nearly five years down the line no one has even mentioned it or particularly noticed it.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To The Big Questions

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedMagina is The Daddy