New York Post cartoon - 1 to 5
Return To The Big Questions

Agentgonzo
There's no pee in catheter!
Wed 25th Feb '09 12:17PM
811 Posts
http://tinyurl.com/d77o3m

Is this cartoon racist?

I don't see how it is. All I see (from my admittedly politically-ignorant stance) is some zoo-keepers shooting a chimpanzee and inferring that it is President Obama. How is this racist? I honestly don't see it. If there is long-standing and institutionalised racism that a black-man is an ape, then maybe, but I haven't seen that. I see that they are calling Obama a chimpanzee, but that in itself isn't racist - you're just talking about the one man.

If you then say that "well, Obama's a black man and having him portrayed as a chimpanzee is racist because you are saying that all black men are chimpanzees" then that's just utter bollocks because in that case it's you who is the racist because you're inferring that all you see of Obama is that he's a black man and that anything said about one black man is valid for all black men.

Seriously, I don't see how this cartoon is racist.

Allen Key
Stagnating, like a packet of crisps on the roof.
Wed 25th Feb '09 2:09PM
510 Posts

Agentgonzo was bold enough to comment:
If there is long-standing and institutionalised racism that a black-man is an ape, then maybe, but I haven't seen that.

Sadly, there is - for example, there are references to the association in Othello, right up to black football players having monkey noises chanted at them from the terraces today etc.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Thu 26th Feb '09 12:37AM
4213 Posts
I think one of the ridiculous justifications given for slavery was that black men are closer to apes than humans and therefore it is ok to use them of beasts of burden hence it is a very sensitive issue.

Also as AK points out racist football hooligans traditionally pelt black players with bananas and make references to being "from the jungle".

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Thu 26th Feb '09 10:35AM
4597 Posts
Yeah it;'s all big extension of the 'youre not from round here so I shall hate you' sentiment that those racist freaks are so fond of.

Agentgonzo
There's no pee in catheter!
Thu 26th Feb '09 11:38AM
811 Posts
I seem to have lead a sheltered life - that stereotype has completely passed me by

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To The Big Questions

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedSpanners is The Daddy