Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Brand new PC with a Vista - 1 to 4
Return To Techy Corner

Swoop*
CHIMPO
Wed 18th Mar '09 2:34AM
1558 Posts
I've been saving up money and stashing it away like a maddened capitalist beaver, and thanks to my thrifty nature (and also thanks to my particularly generous mother, no she doesn't post here, but that doesn't mean I'm not grateful ) I have enough spare money to buy a nice new PC. Yay!

So firstly, ALL THOSE NUMBERS! I've been reading a lot of stuff, and there's a lot of numbers involves. Some of them are 8's. Some aren't. I believe that Intel at the moment are the way to go, though AMD have some good numbers as well. Oh dear oh dear.

The main question I have is, To Vista or Not to Vista? I know it was universally slated on release, but I have read a few decent discussions which are of the view that since SP1 came out, and if you get the 64 bit version, it's a bit odd, but really very good otherwise. Stable, not slow, good in many ways.

Or is that reactionary tosh? If I'm buying a smashing PC in the next month or two, am I better off fishing for an install of XP and waiting however long it is until Window 7 comes out?

Also, I don't really know much about buying computer things, any recommendations as to who would sell me a nice computer? I know I can build one myself, and I might do that thing, but I've had the same PC since 1999, and upgraded every single part myself at some point or another (except the floppy drive which still has the boot disk for Windows 98 in it) and there's a part of me which says Screw it. Pay a man (or lady) to build the bastard for you and deal with the crap.

I've been idly browsing various sites and they all seem to offer wildly different things. Advice?

Epicure_mammon
I'm not crazy cause I take the RIGHT pills :)
Wed 18th Mar '09 9:58AM
140 Posts
It really depends what you want to do with your PC. My approach has been thus far - "there's nothing wrong with XP, why should I upgrade?". If I applied that universally however, I'd still be trying to catch my breakfast in a stream every morning and heating my cave with a recently gathered collection of burning sticks.

My father in law - quite a competent PC user for someone in his late 60s - has upgraded to Vista and really really likes it. Many geeks in work upgraded and then downgraded again. So there's evidence in both directions.

There is no doubt that Windows 7 is great. Personally I'd stick with XP for the moment and wait for Windows 7, but that is more of a gut feeling than anything backed up by proper science and extended user experience testing.

That said - if you do go with vista I'd be very interested to hear your opinion. Its getting very mixed reviews, so if it was a film I'd definitely go out and watch it!

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Wed 18th Mar '09 3:54PM
4678 Posts
Well Vista takes up more system resources than XP, so bear that in mind if you're not getting the latest, nippiest type of machine and want to use it for gaming. Also, remember you won't be able to run a huge amount of older games on it.

Swoop*
CHIMPO
Thu 19th Mar '09 11:17AM
1558 Posts
I am mainly going to be playing games. Or rather, I'm going to be going a whole lot of stuff but nothing that will tax its little brain as much as games.

The not playing Old Games is very bad. I'm keen on both old and silly games, but will Windows 7 be any better?
I checked the other thread but there's no definite release date for any Windows 7 is there? I'm happy to stay with XP, it's not so bad, but I assume that games will increasingly use DirectX 10 in the next couple of years.

At the moment, I'm considering waiting until number 7, but it's increasingly hard to find computers which don't come with Vista. And I'll still have my old computer for older games and as a backup when it all gets too much for me.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Techy Corner

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedKelly is The Daddy