Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Protecting the PC - 1 to 7
Return To Techy Corner

Xander
The panda is the evolutionary equivalent of living off benefits.
Sun 5th Apr '09 6:58PM
169 Posts
I recently bought Norton 360 for my PC (criminally expensive it was too) but I'm still slightly paranoid about the threat of computer Virus, identity theft etc... Anyone got any security tips?

Also, just out of general interest is it possible to at least theoretically infect a Play Station 3 with a computer virus or steal the users identity?

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 6th Apr '09 9:07AM
4678 Posts
Pretty sure your PS3 is safe, unless someone was to convinve it that the virus installer is a legitimate firmware upgrade. And there'll be measures in place to prevent that.

As well as a virus scanner you might want to get hold of a malware remover such as Spybot Search & Destroy and/or Lavasoft ad-aware (both free).

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Mon 6th Apr '09 9:46AM
4597 Posts

Xander was bold enough to comment:
Also, just out of general interest is it possible to at least theoretically infect a Play Station 3 with a computer virus or steal the users identity?

Nah, it's very difficult to get a virus on any non-windows system (I'm not saying impossible as trojans can still, in theory, get past security as they require you to execute them with appropriate privs) because other systems implement auth control properly and don't allow any program (including viruses) to run with sysadmin privs without your explicit say so. This means they can't get up to much mischief on your system as anything important is locked down.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 6th Apr '09 12:59PM
4213 Posts
I'd echo those sentiments

One tip I would offer is that AVG and Avast are both free security software which genrally rate higher than the Norton and McAffee super expensive options.

HuMpO
Daddy Mack
Tue 7th Apr '09 7:49PM
27 Posts
Best Tip - Get A Mac.

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Wed 8th Apr '09 9:05AM
4597 Posts

HuMpO was bold enough to comment:
Best Tip - Get A Mac.

True that! Also if you want one at a bargain price, bag one from the Dixons Tax Free shop in most UK airports. Plus is you do any business on it you can register for tax and claim a further 15% off

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 8th Apr '09 9:39AM
2708 Posts
I think the best advice I can give you is don't be stupid. I basically run a couple of completely unprotected systems. No firewall, no virus protection, I only occasionally run a malware remover. I do vaguely try to keep my windows updates up to date, and I browse the web with a copy of Firefox with noscript and adblock plus running.

In fact if you are worried about computer security you can do worse than running Firefox with noscript. It basically stops any scripts running from the web unless you specifically enable them on that page. It'll remember which pages you trust and which ones you don't. It does take a little bit of getting used to (I can't remember the number of times I've failed to understand why a button isn't working until I remembered) but once you are used to it it works like a dream!

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Techy Corner

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedMalcolm is The Daddy