Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Attempting to create an audible 16hz tone by playing the drums really really fast! - 1 to 3
Return To Creativity

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 26th May '09 10:45PM
4678 Posts
I was speculating today with my friend and drum teacher about whether or not it would be possible to create an audible tone by playing the drums fast enough. The lower threshold for human hearing, so I'm told, is 16hz, or 16 cycles per second. As sound waves are longitudinal I think this may be possible, although my physics is so rusty I couldn't say for sure. Anyway, 16hz is 960bpm, and my drum teacher has the skills to play 16 drumstrokes in every beat of a metronome set to 60bpm, so we thought we'd video it, play it back, and find out.

It's quite hard to judge the results. Personally I think a tone is audible when he hits 16hz. He alternates between 8 and 16 here and I believe I can hear a tone occuring at the higher speeds, but it sounds to me like a higher note than Audacity plays when I tell it to generate a 16hz tone. Here's the video, see what you think. Or let me know if my shoddy grasp of physics made this a stupid attempt from the start. Or you know, just check out some really fast drum playing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anrFDJYN2V8

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Wed 27th May '09 6:41PM
4678 Posts
OK, so the verdict is that was never gonna work.

It is possible, and even a style of music called 'extratone' which involves these effects. Here is some, but I warn you, I had to turn it off after 60 seconds and I can listen to the occasional gabber track. This goes up to 15,000 beats per minute!

(ARGUABLY NMS!)

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 1st Jun '09 5:42PM
4213 Posts
I think I could almost hear some semblance of a tone.
I think it's similar to the way that people make tones with Tesla coils. The frequencey of the shockwaves from the discharge creates a tone.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Creativity

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedKelly is The Daddy