Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
The ConDemNation - 1 to 4
Return To The Big Questions

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Thu 13th May '10 10:03AM
2708 Posts
So as most of you are probably aware the Conservatives and the Liberal Democrats have got together to form a government. This generally seems to be seen as a bad thing by the vast majority of the people I know and I've got to wonder why.

If democracy is good for anything, and it is, then it's got to be representing the majority of the nation. Do I like the conservatives? No. But in many ways my wishes are irrelevant. The majority of the nation does like the conservatives and wants them in power. Yes, they could have created a lib/lab coalition, and maybe chucked in some of the smaller parties to scrape the majority, but should they?

Because I don't think they should. Whether you agree with the people who voted Tory or not, it was their view and wish. You can argue about whether people would have voted differently if some for of Proportional Representation was used, but it's not, and they didn't.

In an ideal world there'll be some sort of power sharing between all the major parties so that all their points of view are represented in all decisions (no I don't know how that would work either). But personally I think the fact that the Lib dems have got into bed with the Tories is a positive thing - even if I'd rather the Tories weren't in power.

Epicure_mammon
I'm not crazy cause I take the RIGHT pills :)
Thu 13th May '10 11:16AM
140 Posts
I think that's about the most sensible thing I've heard said about the current situation .

We had an interesting discussion along similar lines in work here. The Cardiff North election was very close - with the Tory's squeezing in by quite a tight majority. A chap here said "my vote definitely counted then". There does seem to be a perception with the current electoral system that if you live in a safe seat, that there is no point voting against the "safe" party.

In fact, in my opinion, all that will acheive is the certainty that the voting system will never be changed. An interesting result is John Major's election in 1992 - the Tory party received the most votes for a single political party in the history of UK politics their majority in parliament was actually reduced to a mear 21 seats.

The previous highest of 13.98 million had been acheived by Clement Attlee's Labour Party in 1951 even though it was Winston Churhill's Tory Party who got the most seats and therefore went on to govern.

In my opinion there is clearly something amiss with the current electoral system. In a sense it defies democracy for a party to get the most votes yet not be permitted to govern. That said - what better way is there?

Personally I'm a big fan of the Single Transferable Voting system - however I've not seen an analysis of the financial impact of implementing such a scheme. It would, doubtless, greatly increase the complexity of a General Election and therefore presumably the cost. I don't think the public belief in network and computer security is currently high enough to employ any form of electronic voting system - ignoring whether or not I personally believe the technology is up to it.

I do really agree with Amanshu. The way the Tory's and Lib Dem's have been talking recently has been very mature and they really do sound committed to making this government work. I guess only time will really tell though!

Afghan hound
Trainee Daddy
Mon 14th Jun '10 1:39AM
15 Posts
Surely a coalition between Labour and Conservative would have been more representative of the nation's wishes.

I think that the Tories knocked back a Labour coalition because they know the Lib-Dems are easier to subjugate and ultimately easier to subsume.

David Cameron is a liar in my opinion and I think we have five years of open lies and economic terror to look forward to. He has already started cutting public spending whilst at the same time honouring MPs existing claims to ridiculous amounts of taxpayer's money.

The thing that pisses me off the most is that essential operations for children are to be cut back.

We're fucked, pure and simple.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 25th Aug '10 12:34PM
2708 Posts

Afghan hound was bold enough to comment:
Surely a coalition between Labour and Conservative would have been more representative of the nation's wishes.

Undoubtably, although given the proportion of votes - the LibDems were only a couple of million votes behind Labour, it's not too far out to have a ConDem agreement. However as I said the best option would be some sort of coalition including all three parties.

I think that the Tories knocked back a Labour coalition because they know the Lib-Dems are easier to subjugate and ultimately easier to subsume.

I have to admit I wasn't aware that the Tories and Labour attempted to form a coalition. I would have been far more surprised if they had formed one though. The current style of politics leaves the two parties at logger heads and to go from that to happy families is never going to be an easy switch.

David Cameron is a liar in my opinion and I think we have five years of open lies and economic terror to look forward to. He has already started cutting public spending whilst at the same time honouring MPs existing claims to ridiculous amounts of taxpayer's money.

The thing that pisses me off the most is that essential operations for children are to be cut back.

We're fucked, pure and simple.

I'm not sure that's entirely true - while I can see why you're unhappy about the current situation, I also thinks it's very easy to pick a 'bad' party and heap scorn and unhappiness upon them. You might not like the changes they make, but at the end of the day I doubt anyone would last in power if they didn't at least try and make things better.

You could even look at it as a positive thing - by being forced to make harsh economic choices the Tories end up looking like the bad guys so that Labour (or whichever party you like) don't have to and can resteal the reigns in a few years time.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To The Big Questions

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedAmanshu is The Daddy