Peruvian Adventure - 1 to 30
Return To Travel 1 of 3 - 1, 2, 3  Next> Final>>

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Fri 4th Jun '04 5:33PM
4597 Posts
OK so here it is...

THE thread...

The one means of contact I'll do my best to keep with the outside world...

I have one week until off, final preparations are being made...

...and I'm bricking it!

Any final advice, tips or tricks for a unseasoned yet very willing traveller?

Swoop*
CHIMPO
Fri 4th Jun '04 5:44PM
1558 Posts
It's considered polite when meeting someone for the first time to bite their llama on the nose. Not hard, just enough to mske it squeak a bit.

Dregan
a flim flam is as good as a shim sham sam
Fri 4th Jun '04 8:03PM
843 Posts
Keep yourself covered in creams of various sorts to kill the disgusting infections the insects live with daily. And to keep from having your pale white manflesh burnt to a crisp!

And don't eat yellow snow. No matter how tempting it looks!

Have fun too.

--
This is not the post you are looking for.

BrightonBabe
Would you like to see me blink? It really is quite impressive.
Fri 4th Jun '04 11:25PM
894 Posts
Have fun, chill out and don't forget us little people

Oooood
Aubergine Mincemeat
Sat 5th Jun '04 12:11AM
242 Posts

Dregan was bold enough to comment:

Keep yourself covered in creams of various sorts to kill the disgusting infections the insects live with daily. And to keep from having your pale white manflesh burnt to a crisp!

And don't eat yellow snow. No matter how tempting it looks!

Have fun too.

Pale white man flesh?!!?? What sort of naked Peruvian adventure you going on?

Jay21000
Jay21000 has left the building
Sat 5th Jun '04 4:29PM
Goodbye Avatar
Time flies by doesn't it!

Any advice? Not a huge amount apart from be good, be careful, don't eat wierd stuff, don't fall off the side of a mountain, and stay in touch.

HAVE A GREAT TIME

BrightonBabe
Sat 5th Jun '04 8:19PM
894 Posts

Jay21000 was bold enough to comment:

Time flies by doesn't it!

Any advice? Not a huge amount apart from be good, be careful, don't eat wierd stuff, don't fall off the side of a mountain, and stay in touch.

HAVE A GREAT TIME

Be VERY CAREFUL and don't meet too many peruvians - i want you back

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Sat 5th Jun '04 10:37PM
4213 Posts
Have a good one buddy.
What day will I be seeing the smelly weather beaten traveller on my doorstep?

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Fri 11th Jun '04 1:46PM
4678 Posts
Have a fantastic time, and seek out those net cafes wherever you can!

Looking forward to a few beers on your return

Swoop*
CHIMPO
Fri 11th Jun '04 2:01PM
1558 Posts
Sounds like an amazing adventure, have a whale of a time!

I just noticed that the ads at the bottom of the page regard readers of this thread as being interested in the US Marine Corp. I'm not sure what to make of that )

Kelly*
Poke me in the knees and call me Roger
Fri 11th Jun '04 2:20PM
758 Posts
Have a fantastic time!

Sloanio
*boingy* *boingy*
Fri 11th Jun '04 2:29PM
271 Posts
Stay safe, and come back with all your bits...

Binoculars and so on

Dregan
a flim flam is as good as a shim sham sam
Fri 11th Jun '04 3:23PM
843 Posts
Bye man, have fun!

Locodanny
Liked Occult Cakes Of Dance At Ned's New Year
Fri 11th Jun '04 3:48PM
230 Posts
Whoa! Almost missed this thread. ENJOY YOURSELF! Have fun. Mess around. Meet people, but remember Tash

Most important tip: Wear a dress while jumping on one foot while balancing on your head in the Peruvian outback. Done.

Spanners*
Fri 11th Jun '04 4:47PM
4597 Posts
Thank you all for your kind messages, it means a lot.
Well, take care one and all. I'll be in touch if and when I can find an internet cafe.
But for now...

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Take care guys. Peace.

BrightonBabe
Fri 11th Jun '04 7:51PM
894 Posts
Well hes gone from the forums for a while and off 2 the airport tonight so there be lots of tears lol but i know ive got all of u 2 look after me

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Sat 12th Jun '04 11:28PM
4213 Posts
Have a good trip mate.
See you in a few.

Spanners*
Sun 13th Jun '04 5:50PM
4597 Posts
Hola mis amigos! Estoy en Arequipa y il son muy bonito!
So the craic so far is that ?fter travelling for a horrendous amount of time (flight delayed by 4 hours coming out of Madrid which they compensated for with a full 3 course meal and bottle of red wine) I have made it to Arequipa.
We landed here at about 11pm local time and got to the hotel about 12.30 for 3 hours of sleep (which I was able to add to the 1 hour I got in Heathrow Airport on Friday night) before we had to get up to catch a shuttle flight to Areuipa. We got in at 7 this morning and I was feeling pretty groggy but as soon as I stepped off the plane I was hit with El Misti and the mountains towering over the town to one side and the desert to the other and I couldn?t believe it. This place is BEAUTIFUL!
So far this morning I?ve seen an Inca mummy, tried the infamous coca tea and watched a random Peruvian dressed as Father Christmas direct traffic in the Plaza de Armas. No, really. I?ve got pictures and everything - when he saw me taking a photo he stick up his thumb and shouted "la ho ho ho". No kidding. This place is mad.

Well we?re off to check out the mountains and the markets this afternoon and then taking the bus over the Andes to Puno in the morning. From there it?s Lake Titicaca, the Uros Islands and then on to Cusco.

Peace

sp

Sloanio
*boingy* *boingy*
Sun 13th Jun '04 7:25PM
271 Posts
"la ho ho ho!" lol!!

Love it!

Anonymous
Unregistered
Wannabe
Forummer
Sun 13th Jun '04 8:11PM
Go have fun and take a breath before you make a decision! Take pictures.

BrightonBabe
Sun 13th Jun '04 11:13PM
894 Posts
Glad ur safe and sound have a brill time relax and try and find the reason why u went out there. But remember were all still here for you

LangeNU
I can dance. Would you like me to? For you?
Mon 14th Jun '04 12:02PM
213 Posts
Glad to know its going well so far. Keep us updated on all the fun spanglish you come across!

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 15th Jun '04 6:12PM
4213 Posts
Glad to hear you are having a bonza time.
Chant a mantra for me.

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Wed 16th Jun '04 8:51AM
1673 Posts

Spanners was bold enough to comment:
So far this morning I?ve seen an Inca mummy, tried the infamous coca tea and watched a random Peruvian dressed as Father Christmas direct traffic in the Plaza de Armas.

Sounds absolutely amazing! But watch out for those Inca mummies - they're the tricky ones. They go all coy and flirtatious and before you know it they're sucking your life essence out through your face.

Just a tip.

Spanners*
Wed 16th Jun '04 8:32PM
4597 Posts
Hola again!

I?m now in Puno (4000 metres above sea level) on the shore of Lake Titicaca and I got back about an hour ago from spending a day and a night with a native family on the island of Amantani. It?s the second biggest island on the lake (after the island of the sun in Bolivia?s side) and boasts the world?s highest football pitch at 4020 metres.
I really cant express how beautiful that island was. We went for an early morning walk up to the top of the island and looked across to the snow capped mountains of Bolivia and Peru?s altiplano. Damn.
On our way over there we stopped at the floating Uros islands which are more than 20 islands made entirely out of reeds that a tribe built and emigrated to 600 years ago in order to flee from the Chileans who were trying to conquer them to make them work as slaves in their silver mines.
In our journey up here from Arequipa (10 hours) we?ve seen Llamas, Alpacas, vicunas (only 100000 left in the world), flamingos and loads of random birds. We got up close to a couple of the alpacas on sunday night and as I was trying to get my picture taken with one it spat in my face. So as revenge I had alpaca and chips for dinner the next day! Very very tasty.
The altitude is a bit intense. It?s impossible to do any more exercise than a mild walk because the air is so thin. Also because it takes oxygen to digest stuff you have to take it really easy after meals. I almost passed out after my alpaca, red meat is a tough one to process. Have stuck to fish since!
Also saw my first Inca architecture here - funeral towers on the top of a hill arranged in the exact position of the southern cross. All very impressive.
Well we?re off to the Puno market in an hour where I?m told they sell sheeps heads. Nice. I don?t think I??ll get one but I may take a picture or 2
Off to Urubamba (near cusco, another 10 hour trip) tomorrow for the Machu Piccu part of the trip (woo) and then off to the rainforest at the start of next week.

Peace

Anonymous
Unregistered
Wannabe
Forummer
Wed 16th Jun '04 8:57PM
Hey hey John, sounds like you are having an amazing time Hope you continue to have a fab time - can't wait to read more random funny stories from your travels!!

Alison

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 16th Jun '04 9:34PM
4213 Posts
Woah dude that sounds amazing!
On the up side of the altitude thing. It ups your red blood cell count by a load so when you cone back down you will be super mega strong!

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Thu 17th Jun '04 9:23AM
1673 Posts
I was intrigued by this "alpaca" thing, so for all of our information I've found the following picture:

And the site I found it on looks most intruguing - I highly recommend http://www.xanadu-llamas.com.au .

By the way, Spanners: you may not have noticed, but you're just about to reach your 1000th post. I think it's great that that will happen from Peru. Make it a good one!

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Thu 17th Jun '04 5:19PM
4678 Posts
Wow, those Alpacas look tasty.

Sounds amazing, wish I was there with you bro...

Alison, register an account, it's free n' stuff! The same goes to all Spanners' other friends watching this thread for updates.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Wannabe
Forummer
Thu 17th Jun '04 5:23PM
Hello we of the Helpdesk crew salute you on your mission
and Couzie says

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Travel 1 of 3 - 1, 2, 3  Next> Final>>

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedKelly is The Daddy