Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Peruvian Adventure - 31 to 60
Return To Travel 2 of 3 - <<First  1, 2, 3  Next> Final>>

BrightonBabe
Would you like to see me blink? It really is quite impressive.
Thu 17th Jun '04 5:25PM
894 Posts
WOW looks like everything is going well glad your safe and sound look forward to more updates missing u loads

Swoop*
CHIMPO
Thu 17th Jun '04 5:39PM
1558 Posts
I agree that those Alpacas look pretty tasty, I bet they make good steaks. Look a bit like giant poodles.
I'm posting this again, because it's sort of on topic, and one of my favourite sites
Those islands made out of rushes sound pretty interesting, in fact the whole thing sounds amazing! Glad you're having a top time, bring us back lots of photos, and let us know if you try a guinea pig...

Locodanny
Liked Occult Cakes Of Dance At Ned's New Year
Fri 18th Jun '04 4:36AM
230 Posts
Duuuuuuuuuuuuude! Sounds like you're having an amazing time. I couldn't be happier for you.

Take the time to relax, soak up the sun, let in the good energy, and JUST ENJOY YOURSELF!

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Sun 20th Jun '04 12:00AM
4597 Posts
So I?m in Machu Piccu Pueblo at the moment. Right at the bottom of the mountain the ruins are on. Hiked a day of the Inca trail today and got to Machu Piccu in time to see the sunset. We?re going back in time for sunrise tomorrow, the day before the winter solsice so we can see all the sun temples doing their thing. Wooooooooo.

Peace

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Sun 20th Jun '04 12:20PM
4213 Posts
Wow thats amazing................ 999 Posts

Ive been on the forums too long.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Sun 20th Jun '04 9:10PM
4678 Posts
I have a feeling that Spanners Post #1000 is going to be something amazing

Jay21000
Jay21000 has left the building
Mon 21st Jun '04 12:29PM
Goodbye Avatar
After a short holiday to Amsterdam, I am back, and what can I say Spanners? It sounds absolutely amazing. Glad to hear you are enjoying it. Strange to think that someone who can claim victory in Beef Fest can't handle his meat up high!!!

Take it easy buddy, and get a shed load of photo's.

Alison (KR???) Sign up for a free account on here, it's always a giggle! (From JVS)

Spanners*
Tue 22nd Jun '04 12:17AM
4597 Posts
OK here we go. Spanners? 1000th post live from Cusco, Peru. And on the Winter Solsice!
In the last few days I?ve:
Travelled from Puno to Urubamba. 10 hours in a bus but absolutely kick-ass scenery - driving right through the sacred valley of the Incas with fertile land dotted with farms, fields of corn, rice and maize and herds of Llamas, Alpacas, Cows, Sheep and Goats. All straddled by the Andes? finest towering overhead.
Stayed in a convered monastery for 2 nights in Urubamba where we saw the first big chunk of Inca ruins and I saw the milky way for the first time. The nights were so clear and there was so little artificial light at night that the sky totally lit up above us. It was fabulous.
Saw the Corpus Cristi festival in Cusco which is the annual Winter solstice thing in the Plaza de Armas. Loads of bands and people holding deities aloft. Very nice to witness. I also managed my first decent cup of Latte while we were there.
Hiked the Inca trail which totally blew my mind. We got the train down to one stop before Macchu Picchu (Cusco to Macchu Picchu is well regarded as one of the world?s best train journeys and I can see why - on the way we also saw all the debris left over from the lanslides a while back) and the hike took about 7 hours to Macchu Picchu, going along through the cloud forest and Wi?ay wayna (other Inca ruin half way up a mountain) and approaching through the sun gate via the reverse side of the mountain. After the sun gate I continued ahead of the other to the ruins (40ish minutes walk) because this was always meant to be a very personal journey for me and I really needded to do this part alone. As I arrived the sun was slowly descending on the left hand side of the ruins and it all looked so beautiful. The first time I raised my camera and saw through the viewfinder the same image that I?ve seen in so many books, magasines and websites it completely took my breath away.
Stayed in Macchu Picchu Pueblo for the night and came up again for dawn over the ruins and watched the Temple of the Sun do it?s thing - onle on summer and winter solstices (and a couple of days either side) the windows line up with the rising sun and the light comes through to strike the altar inside. We were there the day before the winter solstice.
Had the big tour and then found a spot on the top terraces where no-one seemed to go. I must have sat the for 2 hours just enjoying the view,loving the scenery and finding some peace. It was soooo nice. Then I wandered along the mountain to see the old Inca Bridge (half meter wide bridge crossing in front of a 200 metre sheer cliff face) and finally sat against the famous Macchu Picchu tree for an hour.

Well that?s about it. I am absolutely loving it. Every day has been more beautiful than the last. I?m off to the rainforest tomorrow for 2 nights and then doing my own thing. Looking like it may be Trujillo/Huaraz or Ica/Pisco/Nasca. I need to get some advice from our guide.
Oh and tonight we?re all going out to the restaurant that does the best Guinea Pig in Cusco. I?ll let you know what it?s like

Peace

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Tue 22nd Jun '04 12:42AM
4213 Posts
Oh man
1000th post and it's the most impressive thing.

Sloanio
*boingy* *boingy*
Tue 22nd Jun '04 9:33AM
271 Posts
I cannot wait to see these photographs Spanners, it all sounds so amazing!!!

Jay21000
Tue 22nd Jun '04 11:56AM
Goodbye Avatar
It must be said that what you are doing sounds absolutely amazing. I am finding it hard to think of a word that describes how beautiful it must be. My brother has been there, and like you can't believe how gorgeous it is!

Well done Spanners, enjoy every split second of your travels and take care

BrightonBabe
Tue 22nd Jun '04 5:43PM
894 Posts
Sounds amazing hun glad your relaxing and having some chilled time - keep it up

Spanners*
Fri 25th Jun '04 6:00PM
4597 Posts
The guinea pig was kinda like the dark meat of turkey. Nice but not much meat and the skin was way too chewy to be considered food
So I?m now in Lima, the final point of my tour and the starting point of my personal adventure. My travelling companions have left for a city tour before their flight home but I have to get a bus to Pisco at 1.30 so I didn?t have time to join them.
The people I was with were on the most part very nice people but all were 10 or more years older than me so it was hard to relate to them at times. I view this in a fairly positive way though because I really wanted this to be a personal adventure and by distancing myself slightly I have had a lot of time to take stock of all that is going on in my life and my head. And there will be much more of that to come in my next week.
But before my further travel plans, the last few days have been mighty. I was like totally in the Amazon Rainforest! We flew from Cusco to Puerto Maldonado and then took a 4 hour boat trip up the Tambopata river (main tributary of the Amazon) to our lodge. The place ruled! We had comfy cabins with hot water but no electricity anywhere on site. Palm trees dotted around and trails going all directions out into the forest. We started with an introductory hike around the lodge (just trees and butterflys around at that time) and followed it with a night hike where we saw Peruvian Jumping Spiders, poisonous tree frogs, a tarantula as big as my hand (our guide spotted its hole and poked it out with a stick) and loads of stick insects.
The next day we got up at 5.30 to take a boat trip up river to an oxbow lake and fished for Piranhas and saw loads of Tetra fish (Malcolm used to have a load as pets). No River Otters unfortunately but on the way we saw a few Caimans (type of Alligator), a load of Howler Monkeys and a couple of families of Capybaras (worlds largest rodent - they were like alsations!) and there were some black vultures circling overhead.
That evening we went night Caiman spotting in the boat and again enjoyed a mighty milky way overhead.
We got up at 4 to get the boat back to Puerto Maldonado but were than delayed 4 hours flying back to Lima so a bunch of us went over to a very impressive butterfly farm that had only opened last week. Those things were huge!

Lima kinda mings but I am saying that compared to the immense beauty of the rest of this place so I?m probably a bit biased. There is so much pollution though. A thick cload of smog is covering the whole place. Ah well I?m away soon.
I?m off to Paracas (just outside Pisco) for a couple of nights from where I can get a boat trip out to the Ballestas Islands to see the Sea Loins, Penguins and Flamingos. Then to Ica for Sunday/Monday (from there I can do the Nasca lines as a day trip) and then I?m going to an oasis called Huacachina just outside Ica for a very chilled last 3 nights - http://www.virtualperu.net/cities_ica_huacachina.html - check it!

I?m sure I?ll be in touch in the week. Take it easy. Peace.

BrightonBabe
Sun 27th Jun '04 9:43AM
894 Posts
Sounds amazing fun, glad its all by the sounds of it exactly if not more than you dreamed of.
Good luck with your personal journey - please be careful my nerves have got slighty worse this week
Missing u xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Spanners*
Sun 27th Jun '04 7:05PM
4597 Posts
Ok so I?m in Ica! After I got my bus over to Pisco ($10 for 4 hours with a free sandwich and cup of Inca Cola) I was met at the bus station by a throng of people telling me that their particular hostel was the best in Pisco and I had to go there. I looked at the flyers they all seemed to have and chose the nicest looking one for $12 a night. I was going to stay in Paracas but this was just so much easier.
The kid that took me to the hostel had spent a month in London with his dad and was really good at English. On the short journey over he described himself as a ?diamond geezer?, the Ballestas Islands as ?the dog?s bo**ocks? and a girl on the street as a ?fat minger?. It was classic! I also booked my tour to the Ballestas Islands and the Paracas national reserve with him.
After a shower and a very nice plate of mixed shellfish and rice I was flicking through the tv channels and got the biggest shock ever. Ground Force was on channel 41! I was in a random hostel 6000 miles from home and I got confronted by Charlie Dimmock sorting out her chuffing water feature!
Ballestas Islands were grand. Sea-lions, pengions, pelicans and a seriously daft amount of birds. The rocks were supposed to be red but they had that much droppings (guano) on them they were all bright white. Apparently they harvest the droppings every four years for fertiliser and fuel and stuff. The even had a war with Chile over it at one point
Paracas National reserve was beautiful. Sand dunes as far as the eye could see and another colony of flamingos. Had some astounding sea bass for lunch and me and a couple of guys (Dan and Gary) on the tour got mobbed by about 40 school girls on a trip from Ica. We must have posed for about 50 photos with them. Then they started asking us to sign their arms and as they left they all tried to get kisses from Dan (the pretty boy of us). We all provided our email addresses so if I get any interesting mail I?l let you know.
Me, Dan and Gary decided to travel to Huacachina that night and found a fairly minging 3 bed room for 15 soles each (3 quid). Then we went to a barbecue at a hostel down the road (much nicer but full up) featuring all the burgers we could eat and crusty baps, salad, cheese and of couse a few swift bevvies. I risked the salad and kinda paid the price this morning I was fine after a bit of breakfast tho
Hacachina rules! It is probably 200 metres end to end and is surrounded by towering sand dunes. This morning we climbed to the top of one (so so hard, we were sinking almost up to our knees at some points) and looked out across the land. We so could have been in the Sahara, it was just sand as far as the eye could see. Took about an hour to get up and about 2 minutes to get down - we just legged it stright down the face of the dune. Sooooo much fun.
Off dune buggying this afternoon and maybe even doing some sand boarding!
Booked in a much nicer hostel for 10 soles tonight and off to Nasca with the guys tomorrow. I?m moving faster than I expected but it?s always good to travel with people. I may well pass by here for a night or 2 on my way back. I?m not going any further than Nasca.

Peace

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 28th Jun '04 4:55PM
4678 Posts
Excellent updates so far bro. Hope all this is going on SSES when you get back!

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 28th Jun '04 5:33PM
4213 Posts
Muchos Impressed.
See you soon buddy.

Dregan
a flim flam is as good as a shim sham sam
Wed 30th Jun '04 1:24PM
843 Posts
I saw this and thought of you:

http://userpic.livejournal.com/16661416/2644918

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

LangeNU
I can dance. Would you like me to? For you?
Wed 30th Jun '04 2:59PM
213 Posts
Good thing you saw it while it was still standing

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/06/29/peru.machupicchu.ap/index.html

Anonymous
Unregistered
Wannabe
Forummer
Wed 30th Jun '04 3:20PM
Sounds like you're having an excellent tme Big man, tell us more bout the coca tea ASM

Spanners*
Wed 30th Jun '04 3:55PM
4597 Posts
Back in Ica.
OK so I know I was here last time I posted. In this very internet cafe in fact but mch has happened since.
First and foremost SAND BOARDING ROCKED MY WORLD! First you jump in a dune buggy, then you drive off into the desert doing some serious off road action, bouncing over the dunes and doing wheel spins and stuff. Then you get driken to the top of a dune, get given a board and told by the driver that he?ll meet you at the bottom. The first couple of times I was just using my board as a sledge but then after realising that the sand is so soft that it?s near enough impossible to hurt yourself I got a bit braver. We went out twice with about 8 runs each time and by the end I could do about half a dune standing up on my board before washing out. I also almost took out a dog at one point when it was randomly wandering through the desert and decided that the best place to watch the action was from right at the bottom of my run.
I was going to go again today but it?s raining
Another highlight of Huacachina was our ?Pisco Challenge?in which we spent a night seeing how many Pisco Sours (local coctail made with pisco licquor, egg white, lemon juice and sugar) we could get for free. We ended up on 4 Sours and a shot of Pisco each claimed through gratitude from a hostel manager for choosing his hostel, apology for slow restaurant service, apology for the chef having left and no food being available whatsoever and other random situations.
So after 2 nights in Huacachina with the guys we decided to go to Nasca for a night to see the Lines. On our way to add to the randomness we saw a naked man being chased down the street by a dog.
We signed up for a tour and managed to get a trip to the potteries, gold extractors and pre-inca cemetary for free ($50 all in). All was quite fun but the high point was definately in the gold extraction place where upon arrival a miner picked up his guitar and serenaded us with the first couple of verses of ?My Way? before showing us his pet scorpion ?Se?or Rock?. He passed Se?or Rock around in the bottom of a 2 litre drink bottle filled with sand along with a car aerial to poke him with. I never quite figured out why we would want to poke the scorpion but everyone had a go. Also the mummies in the cemetary were interesting if a little disturbing. They had mummified kids that kinda looked like beef jerky.
The flight over the Nasca Lines ruled! We were in a 6 seater light aircraft and I was sat next to the pilot. We were up there for about 40 minutes and saw the lot. They were very clear and huuuuuuge but unfortunately in a couple of places some complete tool had driven through them.
Afterwards I said goodbye to the guys (they were off to Arequipa) and headed back to Ica and Huacachina for a couple of days of chillin. I had some trouble finding a room so ended up in a random shared room for 2 quid a night. I then woke up this morning to find it cold and raining. Damn. This place was literally paradise a couple of days ago.
So I?m thinking I might go to Lima today, find a nice single room and try to see the best of the city. It does ming in many ways but I really should give it a go just to say I have. Also then I won?t need to worry so much about getting to the airport on time ?cos it?s just a taxi ride.
Right, four hours on a bus for John today. Hopefully be there before dark. Peace.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Wed 30th Jun '04 5:31PM
4678 Posts
That was the best update yet

Feel sorry for Senor Rock though...

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 30th Jun '04 6:31PM
4213 Posts
Don't forget to take a mummified child on the coach with you.
They make a mighty snack.

Spanners*
Thu 1st Jul '04 7:54PM
4597 Posts
OK so this is probably my last post from parts afar. I arrived in Lima and found a place to stay in the suburb of Miraflores which is much less hectic and very slightly less polluted than downtown. The hotel is a very odd place indeed. They have no sign (I just got the address from Lonely Planet) and consequently no other guests. It?s a huge house which seems to be lived in by a family of 3 and my room is part of an extension out the back. When I arrived a girl of about 18 let me in and while I was giving my details a random screechy voice kept prompting her from upstairs, primarily about getting my money upfont it seemed. Eventually the owner of the voice, a woman of about 90 hobbled down the stairs with an outstretched hand and after getting my money was politely ushed back upstairs. I was getting some major ?Psycho? vibes going on. But the place is near a nice end of town featuring (drum roll please) MURPHY?S IRISH PUB! I tried to go in last night but a band was setting up and the noise was truly epic.
Having a very chilled day today, I got up at 7 (primarily due to going to bed at 9.30 last night - caught a bit of a bug from Dan the bugger) so decided to walk into town (8km) and see the sights. Lima actually has some very nice parks and museums. Saw the museum of the Spanish Inquisition this morning and sat for a while in the Parque de la Exposicion. Also been offered weed 5 times and cocaine once in the space of an hour (I politely declined) - chuffing city folk!
Going to do some wander this afternoon and try and get to Murphys tonight. Thought I might check out Miraflores beach tomorrow before going off for my flight.
So all in all This place rocks the most! And sad as I am to leave it, it will be nice to be back in my flat and in a country where my first language is the same as everyone elses (well except for the West Belfast lot).

See you on the other side.

BrightonBabe
Sun 4th Jul '04 4:44PM
894 Posts
Well hes home safe and sound and looking well im sure he'll post more later but thought id let u all know

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Sun 4th Jul '04 7:01PM
4678 Posts
Welcome home Spanners!

The UK just hasn't been the same without you

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Sun 4th Jul '04 10:55PM
4213 Posts
Indeed he were in my flat but 8 short hours ago.
Welcome Home Dude

Spanners*
Mon 5th Jul '04 10:31AM
4597 Posts
Peace.
I back in work.
I tired.
I home.
Damn.

Jay21000
Tue 6th Jul '04 4:01PM
Goodbye Avatar
Welcome home bud.

Will catch up with you soon.

Spanners*
Tue 6th Jul '04 10:02PM
4597 Posts
Ok so I've got the first of my pics up at http://peru.thedaddy.org
More to come but it's a bit of a slow process.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Travel 2 of 3 - <<First  1, 2, 3  Next> Final>>

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedAmanshu is The Daddy