By bye hackers
Films - 1 to 30
Return To Mini-Reviews Of Everything! 1 of 5 - 1, 2, 3, 4 ...  Next> Final>>

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 7th Dec '04 10:05PM
4678 Posts
Dogville 8.5/10
Set in a town so small the walls are simply drawn on the floor, you can see the whole community in most of the shots. When a woman on the run from the mob arrives, the character of the town starts to unveil. Deeply unnerving, involving, and unforgettable. Stars Nicole Kidman in bondage
Be warned though, it's 3 hours long!

Dregan
a flim flam is as good as a shim sham sam
Wed 8th Dec '04 12:57AM
843 Posts
The Big Lebowski 9/10
Just watch it, yes? The film starts with the title character [the Dude] having his house broken into in a case of mistaken identity and his rug pissed on. The rest of the film deals with him attempting to replace the rug, and all manner of WACKY HIJINXS ensue. The Dude is so laid back as to be horizontal, John Goodman is perfect as the slightly psychotic sidekick, and the villains are suitably Nazi-esque. Top class.

"The Dude abides"

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Wed 8th Dec '04 7:59AM
4597 Posts
The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 9/10
Michael Gondry, musical director extroadinaire (responsible for the fantastic Everlong video with huge hands among others) makes his first foray into the world of film direction with a screenplay written by him and Charlie Kaufmann (Being John Malkovich). So it was always going to be good.
Guy meets girl, guy breaks up with girl, guy find out that girl has had him surgically erased from her memory, guy decides to do the same thing, [[guy decides mid procedure that he's made the wrong decision and from then on most of the action takes place inside his mind where he is desperately trying to save one last memory of her as she is deleted from his brain.]] Very very well done.
Also Jim Carrey's best role and Kirsten Dunst in pants.
Second opinion by General on 3rd Oct '06 9/10
Ace!
    Average Rating 9

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Wed 8th Dec '04 8:52PM
4678 Posts
Alexander 8/10
Join the limp-wristed Macedonian army on their slapstick jaunts through Persia, Babylon, Egypt and India. Just keep heading East, boys, it'll all work out Oliver Stone's epic covering the life of Alexander The Great is by turns powerful, inspiring, and slightly boring. Whilst the subject matter certainly warranted a film of this length, I couldn't help feeling that a little more attention to his strategies, visions, and battles and a little less homoerotic angst would have been welcome. Highly impressive, nonetheless. Beautifully shot, and the main battle scene will have RTS players dreaming of wargames of the future.

"Megos Alexandros!"

Spanners*
Wed 8th Dec '04 11:32PM
4597 Posts
The Ghost In The Shell 9/10
Quality piece of Manga that was the primary inspiration for the Wachowski Brothers' classic 'The Matrix'. And it shows. It's set in a futuristic city where almost everyone has some form of cybernetic enhancement and the agents of Section 9 can use their funky brain implants to enter the minds of others **cough** Agent Smith **cough**
Needs a couple of watches to figure out roughly what you think they thought they meant the plot to be but well worth it and not only 'cos of it's cinematic significance to so much that followed.
Second opinion by Diziet on 20th Jan '07 10/10
the plot revolves around two cybernetic special agents trying to track down a criminal who has found a way to infilitrate computers and even people's brains through their implants. blistering cyberpunk / hard sci-fi action but, like spanners says, it can be a bit confusing first time round - doesn't really matter though because its so good you'll definitely want to watch it again.
    Average Rating 9.5

Oooood
Aubergine Mincemeat
Thu 9th Dec '04 8:07AM
242 Posts
Forgotten 6.5/10
Starts off as any normal thriller film would. Quickly starts going a little mysterious, then just damn right random. I'm still debating but I think I enjoyed it. A few parts to make you jump (good if you're with a *friend*). You need to keep an open mind, but I'm not gonna spoil the main feature of the film.

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Mon 13th Dec '04 2:14PM
1673 Posts
Underworld 2/10
A film featuring Kate Beckinsale, PVC, vampires and werewolves - seemed like a promising start. Don't get me wrong - it wasn't offensive or unpleasant in any way; it just utterly failed to be interesting. So much so that we watched about 90% of it before giving up, leaving the cinema and going to the pub instead. Now, you may think that a 90% watching proportion would indicate that there must have been some merit to it - otherwise, surely, we'd have left sooner? The point, though, is this: even after staying for 90% of the film - even with only about 10 minutes to go - we still weren't interested enough to be bothered finding out the ending. So tantalisingly close to the plot conclusion, and yet we just didn't care. At all.

In fact, the thing that clinched the decision to leave was when I noticed that my wife was passing the time playing games on her phone, and she simultaneously noticed that I was passing the time by sending text messages to my brother.
Second opinion by Amanshu on 30th Jan '06 5/10
To some extent agreed, this should have been a great film about Werewolves versus Vampires. Instead it's an average film about people who happen to be Werewolves versus people who happen to be Vampires.

There's some good set pieces, but you just end up being a little bit, bored by it all at times. A fun enough way to pass a few hours, but I wouldn't rush out ot buy a copy!
   Average Rating 3.5

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 13th Dec '04 4:44PM
4678 Posts
Gummo 2/10
I'm a big fan of strange or unusual movies. This was both, but I didn't enjoy it all. A series of disjointed vignettes in the life of a disturbed and ill-supervised young boy growing up in the Deep South, the film has no plot or storyline. Rather than telling a story, the film tries to create a deeply unsettling atmosphere, at which I suppose it does succeed. Written and directed by the same person who made Kids. I can't really imagine anyone who'd get much out of this movie aside from film students or those studying child psychology (of warped children).

The Guv
I have no idea what to put here........ HELP ME
Tue 14th Dec '04 8:45PM
320 Posts
Closer 8/10
Strange at times as only concentrates on 4 characters. well worth a watch though. If you are a Natalie Portman fan you should defo watch this her best ever film scenes.
Second opinion by General on 3rd Oct '06 4/10
FOund it a bit dull and pretentious
Second opinion by Xander on 29th Sep '08 4/10
My opinion possibly slightly biased by having flu first time I saw this.

Interesting concept but just unpleasant to watch. All the characters are in some way just dispicable. Even enjoying a look at Ms Portman is coloured by the fact its very decadent and dark.
Average Rating 5.33

The Guv
Tue 14th Dec '04 9:54PM
320 Posts
Mallrats 9/10
Probably Kevin Smith's finest hour(and 1/2). Basically 2 Guys one of who is the highly talented Jason Lee hang out a mall all day trying to win back both their ex girlfriends which leads to numerous comedy moments one of which is the 'pretzel' scene watch it and you will see. Watch out for Ben Affleck's plan!!! anyway this film is great. Jay and Silent bob are just comical in this. oh and her from BH90210 is in it aswell.

Jay21000
Jay21000 has left the building
Wed 15th Dec '04 7:01PM
Goodbye Avatar
Trainspotting 9/10
This film has it all. Violence, drugs, sex, and booze! Based in Scotland it's a story about a group of mates who are heavy drug users, one of which is determined to go clean. It's an anti drugs story of Mark Renton's (aka Rents) journey to quit heroin and stay clean, but he has more than his fair share of problems:
[[1) Sleeps with a 13 year old without knowing it, and is blackmailed into doing it again
2) His best friend dies from a dodgy hit that Rents gave him
3) A baby dies through neglect
]]

It's a funny, sad, serious, hard hitting, 18 rated, EXCELLENT FILM.

Cwgerard
The man with the peridot face
Sat 18th Dec '04 6:09PM
100 Posts
Clerks 10/10
Probably my favourite film, ever. Spend a day in the life of Dante and Randal, two convenience store clerks, and suffer the trials and tribulations of behind-the-counter life. Gut-wrenchingly funny and, as you'll know if you've ever worked in retail, 100% accurate.

"I'm not even supposed to be here today!" - Dante Hicks

I'm not even supposed to be here today.
Kevin Smith has never topped this
  Average Rating 9.5

Dregan
Sun 19th Dec '04 5:02AM
843 Posts
Young Sherlock Holmes 7/10
Watched this recently, and again last night with my girlfriend. It's essentially a non-canon story of Holmes and Watson, except, as you may have guessed, younger versions thereof. If you know any background about the Holmesian books, there are lots of subtle nods [and several not-so-subtle ones - watch to the end of the credits]. The story itself starts with Holmes and Watson in school, and ends with them fighting Egyptian tribesmen who are sacrificing young girls and killing people [very Temple of Doom].

Quite good overall, a bit corny and a few moments of deus ex machina, but worth a watch if you like the Holmes tales.

"The game is afoot!" -- Holmes

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Thu 23rd Dec '04 5:29PM
4678 Posts
Bad Santa 9/10
As Santas go, this one's very bad indeed. Hilarious, disturbing and quirky, the film spends a year in the company of Billy Bob Thornton as he drinks, swears and fornicates every last drop of Christmas he can. Not the usual festive tale of redemption, you'll be glad to hear, and definitely not for the kids!
Second opinion by Diziet on 20th Jan '07 9/10
brutally funny and revolting.

'oh no you don't...last time i didn't sh*t right for a week!'
  Average Rating 9

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Thu 23rd Dec '04 11:40PM
2708 Posts
The Phantom Of The Opera 5/10
Need I really say anything about the story? It's a twisted tale of obsession and love set in an opera house in Paris way back in... err... sometime... 1800's? Who knows, but it's the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical brought to the silver screen.
There are some amazing special effects (the deaging of the theatre in the opening is magnificent), and the scenery is marvellous, the actors are believable (well, as believeable as you can be when 95% of your words are song), the story compelling and... somehow it just doesn't quite work. Maybe the story is lacking a little in plot movement, I don't know. But honestly, the films enjoyable enough, but go see the play.

Rather disappointing
Second opinion by Agentgonzo on 4th Feb '09 8/10
A very good adaptation of the stage version. Beautifully choreographed and produced with some absolutely wonderful voices. It's been changed slightly from the stage version but to no detriment. Plot movement will always be hard given restricted dialogue is available due to the medium (it's mostly songs) but I don't have the problem with this that Amanshu has.

Very enjoyable, but being a film it's no-way near as spectacular as the stage performance.
   Average Rating 6.5

The Guv
Thu 30th Dec '04 8:58PM
320 Posts
Meet The Fockers 8.5/10
The follow on from the hilarious 'Meet The Parents'. Ben Stiller returns as Gaylord Focker and this time around it is time to introduce his Ma and Par (Barbra Streisand & Dustin Hoffman) to his partner and family (Robert De Niro) full of typical visual comedy moments and a great script. Any Ben Stiller fans should defo watch this one. If you liked the first one you will defo love this but if you aint seen the first one watch it as most of this movie relates to it.

The Guv
Tue 8th Feb '05 8:44PM
320 Posts
Creep 8/10
Set in London's underground you follow a German Woman on her way home from a party where she falls asleep on the station and then wakes to find she is locked in!!!!! She then panics as you would and gets on a tram and meets a man from the party who is high and he tries it on with her until [[he is dragged from the tram and well attacked by the underground slasher man.]] Thats all i am going to tell you watch it and you will find this very chilling and at times jumping out of your seat

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Sun 20th Feb '05 5:58AM
4678 Posts
The Straight Story 5/10
I'm a big fan of David Lynch. However, this film appears to be entirely free of anything which would suggest he had anything to do with it. I'm not saying it's slow, but at one point I did nod off for 20 minutes and didn't even notice. To be fair, it has it's moments of charm and warmth, but personally I like Lynch's ability to make me think, not to lull me to sleep with gentle rolling countryside scenes and kind-hearted, god-fearing southern folks (and their lawnmowers).
Second opinion by Amanshu on 2nd Nov '05 7/10
This is based on a true story of a guy travelling across America on a lawn-mower. It is very much a film in which nothing really happens, but personally I think that's part of its charm!
  Average Rating 6

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 21st Feb '05 4:16PM
2708 Posts
Ray 7/10
A biopic of blind musician Ray Charles Robinson (or Ray Charles) probably most famous for "hit the road jack". It's quite a stylish film, visually contrasting between his bright and colourful childhood and the more muted colours of his later life. It combines new recording's by Ray Charles, and manages to portray him as a likeable uncaring git at times.

Unfortunately it suffers from the same problem as most biopics, how do you know what the most important part of someone's life is? So it ends up coming in a little under three hours, and could probably do with losing half an hour in the middle...

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Mon 21st Mar '05 5:10PM
4678 Posts
Happiness 4/10
If ever a film was misleadingly titled, this is it. Quite possibly the bleakest and most depressing film I've ever seen (see Gummo, though this does have a plot). It's well made and even funny in rare moments, but the subject matter (dysfunctional sexual relationships, paedophilia, rape etc) is so grim as to leave you wishing you hadn't bothered. Possibly of interest to those in counselling, therapy or those planning to take up drugging and molesting children.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Wed 30th Mar '05 4:40PM
4678 Posts
Cypher 9/10
A techno-thriller set in the world of industrial espionage. This film has so many twists and turns that before long you'll find yourself questioning every event from several angles. Gripping and fascinating - one of those films that probably needs to be seen twice to make the most of. Pay close attention, though, or there's no way you'll follow the incredibly convoluted plot!

Dregan
Thu 31st Mar '05 2:19AM
843 Posts
Hostage 6/10
Not Die Hard 4.

"Keep talking to me Kenny, keep talking, nobody wants to hear gunshots in ther-- FUCK!" --Bruce Willis

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Sat 9th Apr '05 2:38PM
4678 Posts
Sin City 10/10
Ultra-stylish actualisation of Frank Miller's Sin City series of graphic novels. The director resigned from the RDA in order to be able to credit Miller as a co-director, and you can see why - almost every shot looks like a page straight from the books. 3 of the first 4 books are here, with the 2 leads played superbly grimly by Bruce Willis and Mickey Rourke. If you enjoyed the books, you'll love this. It's fast-paced, violent, film noir taken to the ultimate. Also interesting to note: Every backdrop in the film is generated by computer; it was all done in front of bluescreen.

Probably the most stylish and visually engaging film I've ever seen.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Thu 14th Apr '05 11:36AM
2708 Posts
Hitch 7/10
This is a chick flick for men. The main character Hitch is trying to help an overweight, clumsy tax man get a date with a beautiful, famous heiress. Hitch is also trying to win over a gossip journalist. She's trying to find out just who this guy who's seeing this wealth heiress is.
It's hilarious at places, cring worthy in others, has a couple of glaring plot holes and the ending is hollywoodised for that feel good factor. But basically it's a film to take your partner to, sit back and enjoy.

A badly dancing 7/10

Spanners*
Thu 14th Apr '05 8:51PM
4597 Posts
The Blues Brothers 10/10
Oh yes. The original.
Dan Ackroyd and John Belushi as ultra cool blues singers getting their old band back together and desperately trying to evade the police long enough to earn enough cash to save an orphanage. Comedy, great car chase sequences, fabulous characters and the mightiest soundtrack ever. This film needs to be seen by everyone.
I'll warn you now though, it is about 3 hours long. It won't seem like it though, you'll be crying out for more. However don't let this feeling prompt you to watch Blues Brothers 2000, as it is a crime against the memory of such a wonderous film. Blues Brothers 2000 practically exhumes the corpse of the original, pees on it, buries it upside down and then sleeps with its girlfriend. Twice.
Crash smash!
    Average Rating 9.5

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 25th Apr '05 9:30AM
2708 Posts
Run Lola Run 10/10
Lola has twenty minutes to find 100,000 german marks and get it across town to her boyfriend or the drug-dealers hw owes it to will kill him. The twist however is this: we don't see her do it once but three times. Each time starts out ever so slightly different (she falls down the stairs, she pauses halfway down) and as the story pans out we see how those changes effect the outcome.

Basically it's one of those foreign films that makes you want to see more foreign films...

A badly dubbed 10/10
Second opinion by Agentgonzo on 18th Aug '06 10/10
Yeah, but then that's your fault for watching the dubbed version. Films should always be watched in their original language with subtitles (unless you don't need the subtitles)

Still, a fantastic film.
   Average Rating 10

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 26th Apr '05 7:37PM
4678 Posts
High Rollers 8/10
Based on the true story of Stu Unwin, the three-times world poker champion, this is an engrossing tale of a troubled genius who discovered that money cannot buy happiness. Told through flashbacks through Stu's life, from his first childhood experiences playing Gin Rummy, through to his stardom, coke and alcohol addictions, a disastrous marriage, and his attempts to put the pieces of his life back together. Possibly a little overlong and slow in parts, this is not a 'glamorous world of high-stakes poker' film, quite the opposite - this is a film more likely to make you appreciate what you have rather than yearn for the high life.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Sat 11th Jun '05 12:06AM
4678 Posts
Employee of the Month 9/10
This is one of those films you HAVE to see twice. To mention much of the plot would reveal too much. Suffice to say, it's a fantastically enjoyable thriller which will definitely make you think. After seeing it you'll thank me for not saying more.

The Guv
Thu 16th Jun '05 8:36PM
320 Posts
Shallow Ground 8.5/10
This is one of those suspense horror films. It is set in a small village where on day a young boy goes to the police station naked covered in blood (his own or someone elses??) anyway cue lots of gory scenes and some good acting as the police people try and track down who and where has this boy come from

8.5/10

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Fri 17th Jun '05 8:21AM
2708 Posts
Batman Begins 10/10
Take one well known comic book character. Add one comic book writer as screen writer. Take one a-list cast of celebrities and cast them. Correctly.
Season liberally with effects (but be sparing, don't overpower the story, or characters).
Add integrity, self-consistency, a couple of nice touches for the fans and some new stuff to keep things interesting. Add some amusing (and only slightly dodgy) sci-fi.

Result: an actual Batman film (and if you think you've already seen one, after you've seen this you'll understand why you're so amazingly wrong...!)
Second opinion by Spanners on 2nd Nov '05 8/10
Loved it! It was great that they showed his past and how he came to become Batman, not just starting off with a fully made superhero.
Batman's back!
Second opinion by General on 3rd Oct '06 10/10
Best Comic Book Film Ever!
   Average Rating 9.33

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Mini-Reviews Of Everything! 1 of 5 - 1, 2, 3, 4 ...  Next> Final>>

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedDemian is The Daddy