By bye hackers
Music - 1 to 30
Return To Mini-Reviews Of Everything! 1 of 4 - 1, 2, 3, 4  Next> Final>>

Swoop*
CHIMPO
Tue 7th Dec '04 11:59PM
1558 Posts
BAND AID 2004 (single) 1/10
I found this single awful and shocking in many ways. The original is pure cheese, but for a good cause and it fit the times. Listening to this remake, you can't hear the passion of the cause in any of the voices, they're not pulling together, they're not giving everything they've got. It sounds and looks like they're jostling for airtime. The production is poor, and as a piece of music it's disjointed to say the least. As a work of charity I hope it raises some cash, but good grief I'd feel more ethically sound hurling 1p pieces at a begger than forking out for this. Also, the artwork on the cover of the single almost made me retch in disgust.

[edit] Forgot the score: 1/10 and it only gets the one on the grounds that it might raise some cash in a good cause, some of which won't be spent on limos and champers for the little tossers singing)

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Sat 11th Dec '04 1:50PM
4597 Posts
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me/Feels Like Home 10/10
Singer, songwriter and pianer player, Norah Johnes fills me with hope that modern music has begun to turn from its teenypop/dance downwards spiral of destruction.
She has taken soul/blues into the noughties and each song on her albums can genuiniely be regarded as a classic in its own right. You'll find yourself in a 'The Bends' vs 'OK COmputer' style dilemms trying to figure out which album you like most.
Great for party background music but equally mighty for turning up loud on the bus and finding your chilled place in the midst of 100 angry commuters.

Buy em.

The Guv
I have no idea what to put here........ HELP ME
Thu 30th Dec '04 9:03PM
320 Posts
GREEN DAY - AMERICAN IDIOT 9/10
US Punksters return with another classic album full of quirky punk tunes. This is defo worth a listen and i think it is better than 'Dookie'
Stand out tracks - American Idiot, She's a Rebel, Jesus of Suburbia.

Spanners*
Mon 3rd Jan '05 7:12PM
4597 Posts
Fun Lovin Criminals - Mimosa 10/10
More of an EP than an album this is probably my favourite offering from 'The Criminals'. It's all in a very easy listening style comprising covers of some classics (most notably 'Crazy Train' by Iron Maiden and 'I'm Not In Love' by some random fella) and smoothe versions of their own favourites. The new version of 'Scooby Snacks' is guaranteed to please.
For quality over quantity this is an excellent acquisition and is a very good introduction to the essence of what the band is about. Don't be put off by the name, these are very chilled people.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 5th Jan '05 10:46PM
4213 Posts
Jamie Cullum 1/10
I recently saw a poster of Jamie Cullum on the tube on which someone had scrawled "Look at my Smug Face"
I could sum it up no better.
Second opinion by Spanners on 1st Nov '05 6/10
I agree to a point. He is far too smug however he writes his own stuff and is a very talented pianist. He's playing his part in moving music away from all the talentless bay band/girl band and pre-programmed dance crap we've had so much of. I may not be a big fan of him per se, but I'm a big fan of what he stands for.
    Average Rating 3.5

Sloanio
*boingy* *boingy*
Thu 20th Jan '05 6:38PM
271 Posts
Kaiser Chiefs - I Predict A Riot 10/10
Not often do I hear a song for the first time and am singing along with it by the end of the song without realising it. This was one of thsoe songs, standing in HMV yesterday. Fabulous guitar, excellently produced. Foot tappingly fantastic!

Listen to it!
Second opinion by Mrsham on 7th Jun '07 9/10
This is a blatant retaliation to Emo's drubbing of the Kaisers (although I'm very pleased you're enjoying Boxer, Emo!)

Look, I just like it. It's been hugely overplayed, forever since it came out, but I still like it. It's a big fat fun pop tune and it's very good at being this. I bet everyone secretly likes it really. Don't they?

(I'm not going to argue the case for the Kooks though )
Second opinion by Spanners on 24th Jul '07 0/10
I just think they're rubbish. I can't really give any specifics to my aversion, I just think they are devoid of musical talent and a bit foolish.

I predict a riot? I predict be quiet.
Second opinion by General on 24th Jul '07 4/10
Quite jolly tune but they just get on my nerves.
They also seem to be quite misogynistic and snobby with their lyrics
 Average Rating 5.75

Spanners*
Wed 26th Jan '05 2:41PM
4597 Posts
Esbjorn Svensson Trio - Good Morning Susie Soho 10/10
Progressive modern jazz trio featuring piano, bass and drums - the classic jazz line-up if you ask me. This is a incredibly technically brilliant whilst remaining tuneful and highly relaxing. None of that scriblly noise so often associated with the progressive sound jazz seems to be developing.
Equally good as background dinner music and turned up loud in the car.
The tracks have very silly names but don't let this put you off - 'Spam-boo-limbo' and 'Pavane - thoughts of a septuagenarian' are absolute classics.

The Guv
Tue 8th Feb '05 8:40PM
320 Posts
IDLEWILD - WARNINGS 8/10
For those of you who have not heard of Idlewild i seriously think you should check them out. They are are a fantastic live act especially the front man Roddy Woonble. Anyway this is their new album which is a more mainstream than there previous stuff. Think Feeder as they are now (they was much better a few years ago until their drummer killed himself). Idlewild have changed so much over the years but this album is still great check out track 1 Love Steals Us. Just check it out good
Second opinion by General on 2nd Nov '05 8/10
The band once described as sounding like "A flight of stairs falling down a flight of stairs" continue their progresion to the indie mainstream. Also try "The Remote Part" an alltime favorite of mine.
Average Rating 8

The Guv
Thu 12th May '05 7:56PM
320 Posts
OASIS - Don't Believe The Truth 9/10
WOW let me just get my breath back, WOW This is Liam and the gang back at their best. just listen to Mucky Fingers and A bell will ring you will be amazed how good they have become again.
Roll on the gigs at COM in the summer

WOW
Second opinion by General on 2nd Nov '05 8/10
Can't touch the classic Definitely Maybe, but it's their first consistant album since Morning Glory.
Average Rating 8.5

Dregan
a flim flam is as good as a shim sham sam
Fri 28th Oct '05 2:06AM
843 Posts
System of a Down - Hypnotize [single] 9/10
I was fortuitous enough to hear the advance version of this single. And it's damn good. A bit heavy-handed with the ol' political messages, but when they sound this good..

Speaking of sound, it's fairly different from any track you care to name off Mezmerize. This furthers the theory that Hypnotize will be complementary to Mezmerize, and with any luck a boxset is in the works.

Full album review: November 21st

"mesmerise the simple-minded, propaganda leaves us blinded" -Daron

Diziet
optical moose
Mon 14th Nov '05 2:26PM
2522 Posts
Let There Be Love - Oasis 1/10
The Gallagher brothers continue their systematic plundering of the Beatle's corpse with this insipid, derivative and wholly un-entertaining 'song'.

Noteworthy only because Noel and Liam share vocal duties.
Second opinion by General on 14th Nov '05 7/10
A song that Noel Gallagher included on the new album under record company pressure as he wished to avoid "having a football chant song on every album"
Not the best thing on the album by a long way, but it manages to be epic whilst avoiding the bathos of Be Here Now.
Average Rating 4

Diziet
optical moose
Thu 17th Nov '05 9:42PM
2522 Posts
Squeeze - Tempted By The Fruit Of Another 9/10
not the best squeeze song you would ever hear (that would be Pulling Muscles From A Shell) but definitely one of the greatest pop songs ever written.

the verse revolves around a fantastic descending bass progression and you can't help but sing along to the chorus. glenn tilbrook belts the lyrics out and theres a top wah-wah rhythm line at the end.

quality.

Diziet
optical moose
Tue 10th Jan '06 7:10PM
2522 Posts
just like heaven - katie melua 0/10
katie thought she could re-work a Cure classic.

katie was wrong.

a euphoric slice of pop perfection transformed into a funereal dirge.

edit: i second that. DEATH TO MELUA. i had great fun going to her website and posting on the forum as Robert Smith. mwa-ha-ha!
Second opinion by General on 22nd Nov '06 0/10
DIE MELUA DIE!
Second opinion by Emo Squid on 2nd Mar '07 -10/10
Pants. This is a travesty, as was her cover of 'Lilac Wine'. However, i don't want to kill her because she looks nice.
Average Rating -3.33

Spanners*
Sun 15th Jan '06 5:50PM
4597 Posts
In Your Honour - Foo Fighters 9.5/10
As a long standing Foo Fighters fan I had great hopes when this album was released. All the press said it was their best yet even Dave Grohl was quoted as saying he's the most satified he's ever been on completion of an album.
I was not disappointed. It rocks.
It's a double album with one disc of classic loud, fast Foo Figher rock at its best and the other a more mellow set of quality ballads.
Every track is a classic although it does take a few listens before it properly grows on you. I'd still rate 'The Colour and the Shape' as their best ever but this is a very close second.
Second opinion by General on 2nd Feb '06 8/10
This is a great album, but I don't seem to be able to write second opinions

EDIT: Yes I can just not on the Katie Melua song. Grrrr
Second opinion by Diziet on 2nd Feb '06 8/10
your second opinion would be most welcome on the katie melua song. i'm sure its something better than a simple 'grrr'

Average Rating 8.5

Diziet
optical moose
Thu 2nd Feb '06 5:27PM
2522 Posts
Ben Folds Five - Ben Folds Five 10/10
i recently bought this album in a charity shop for 50p. i've not heard it since it was released in 1995 and i have to say its still as brilliant as i remember it.

its an album full of piano-based tunes that are instantly hummable. ben folds' style is very upbeat and positive and you can't help smiling while you listen. i dare anyone who listens to this album to not tap their feet to 'philosophy' or 'where's summer b?'.

its a gorgeous album full of bouncy, uplifting and very, very summery tunes. if you're looking for something to get you going in the morning (especially when its cold and nasty outside) then this is it.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Fri 3rd Mar '06 4:35PM
2708 Posts
Dirty Fan Male 10/10
Not strictly a music cd, this is Genuine Letters Written to Pron Stars read out in different ways, and sometimes even set to music. They range from the obviously crude, through the heartbreakingly sad, to the chillingly creepy. But they are all by turns funny, creepy and intriguing.

It's not the kind of thing you should take around your mum's to listen to, but it's a lot of fun none the less!

"My Dear Lady Samantha,

Your password is 'Professor'. No-one knows your password. No-one must ever know your password.
I have given you this password for a reason. And also this one: 'Master King'.

My Deepest Love,
Martin"

Diziet
optical moose
Wed 15th Mar '06 6:06PM
2522 Posts
Arabstrap vs Grandmaster Flash - The Message 9/10
this is fantastic. a nifty beat and some superb strumming skills from the 'Strapster turn this hip hop classic into something completely different but still as funky and catchy as the original.

possibly the only song you can't download from the internet because it only exists on the cd 'Strap gave me and whatever other copies he and his collaborator have for themselves. And anyone else they may have given a copy to. And anyone those people may have given a copy to. actually, boot up limewire - you may find it on there. but make sure you ask 'Strap's permission to download it first

Diziet
optical moose
Tue 9th May '06 7:51PM
2522 Posts
doves - some cities 10/10
this album...

...sorry, i can't express how gorgeous this album actually is.

Second opinion by General on 9th May '06 10/10
All I can add is this...........

...... It's that good
Average Rating 10

Diziet
optical moose
Sun 4th Jun '06 1:40AM
2522 Posts
the feeling - fill my little world 5/10
oh show some love you ain't so tough come fill my little world right up right up oh show some love you ain't so tough come fill my little world right up right up oh show some love you ain't so tough come fill my little world right up right up oh show some love you ain't so tough come fill my little world right up right up oh show some love you ain't so tough come fill my little world right up right up oh show some love you ain't so tough come fill my little world right up right up oh show some love you ain't so tough come fill my little world right up right up oh show some love you ain't so tough come fill my little world right up right up oh show some love you ain't so tough come fill my little world right up right up oh show some love you ain't so tough come fill my little world right up right up oh show some love you ain't so tough come fill my little world right up right up oh show some love you ain't so tough come fill my little world right up right up oh show some love you ain't so tough come fill my little world right up right up oh show some love you ain't so tough come fill my little world right up right up oh show some love you ain't so tough come fill my little world right up right up oh show some love you ain't so tough come fill my little world right up right up oh show some love you ain't so tough come fill my little world right up right up oh show some love you ain't so tough come fill my little world right up right up oh show some love you ain't so tough come fill my little world right up right up oh show some love you ain't so tough come fill my little world right up right up oh show some love you ain't so tough come fill my little world right up right up

edit: only just got this song out of my head and now i've given it a more sensible score. horrendously catchy with some highly dubious lyrics - 'i just wanted some evidence that you really like me'. as General said, it gets on your nerves, in much the same way that their previous single 'sewn' does.
Second opinion by General on 4th Jun '06 6/10
Jolly enough but gets on my nerves a bit.
Second opinion by Agentgonzo on 22nd Sep '06 9/10
I really liked it. It's bouncy and summery in the same way that Supergrass' Alright was and that nothing has done since.

"The sun is shining" B-side is even better at the summer happiness and in really missing from the album "Twelve steps and home"
Average Rating 6.67

Diziet
optical moose
Sun 4th Jun '06 6:29PM
2522 Posts
dave grohl - tiny dancer (acoustic) 9/10
the rather excellent dave grohl covers an elton john tune.

this is one of the funniest cover versions i've ever heard. dave grohl's interaction with the audience is great - he gets them to re-create the bus scene from Almost Famous where the band all sing this song (if you haven't seen Almost Famous, you should. its brilliant.)

top notch stuff.

Second opinion by Spanners on 2nd Jul '06 9/10
Just heard this for the first itm and it is magnificent. Dave Grohl is the man on so many levels!

Also his live Stairway to Heaven is the funniest track I've ever heard!
Average Rating 9

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 12th Jun '06 11:19AM
2708 Posts
Genesis - the platinum album 5/10
The problem with Genesis has always been that as a band they have no real style. They kept growing and evolving and creating new types of music. Now this is all werll and good, but it basically means that everybody has their favourite period. Personally for me it was the fun jokey single period towards the end. The "Invisible Touch"/"Jesus, he knows me"/"No Son of mine" stage. However this album tries to cover all of the Genesis period. From start to finish, and although there are probably some great tracks on the second and third cd's, I know they're not going to be the songs I like. Do I don't listen to them.

My advice is if you want Genesis music, then go buy a specific album, don't try and find a "definitive album" to encapsulate them

Clara
Even red onions have a silver lining
Thu 15th Jun '06 10:57AM
838 Posts
Keane - Under the Iron Sea 9/10
Ooooohhhh, have been waiting for this for ages! This is based purely on first listening. If it's anything like Hopes and Fears it'll grow on me till I know the words without actually realising I've learned them.

As I say, on first listening, it's far darker than their first album, but there are still the hooks to get you singing along. Current faves are Is It Any Wonder, Nothing In My Way and A Bad Dream (the latter I have only heard twice, yet the chorus is embedded in my brain).

Clara likes, she likes a lot. The Deanery will be despairing at the amount of times it will be listened to!
Second opinion by Diziet on 15th Jul '06 9/10
getting the album tomorrow - this rating is only for 'is it any wonder'.

i never realised keane could rock so much! top tune...
Second opinion by Mildred on 18th Jul '06 9.75/10
V.v.v.good album from the lovely Keane boys (Clara and I have long referred to Tom Chaplin as The Lovely Tom, and now I extend the appellation to Richard & Tim as well, for they are all very lovely indeed) - the album art is very striking, and I'm currently liking the following songs very much: Hamburg Song, Leaving So Soon? Nothing in My Way & A Bad Dream.

Interestingly, my mother pointed out that 'A Bad Dream' is a reworking of the following poem by Yeats (excellent intertextuality there Tim Rice-Oxley!):

An Irish Airman Forsees His Death

I know that I shall meet my fate
Somewhere among the clouds above;
Those that I fight I do not hate,
Those that I guard I do not love;
My country is Kiltartan Cross,
My countrymen Kiltartan's poor,
No likely end could bring them loss
Or leave them happier than before.
Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,
A lonely impulse of delight
Drove to this tummult in the clouds;
I balanced all, brought all to mind,
The years to come seemed waste of breath,
A waste of breath the years behind
In balance with this life, this death.

I nearly gave it 10/10, but withheld 0.5 marks on the grounds that when Tom Chaplin warbles 'Oh! Crystal Ball!' in the song 'Crystal Ball' it does frequently make me have hysterics (he just sounds so jubilant! And squeaky!), but this is not a bad thing, in fact it adds to the entertainment - so I think I'm going to - yes, I'm going to increase it to 9.75/10!

Can't wait to see Keane in October, hoorah!
Second opinion by General on 13th Aug '06 6/10
Admirable that they tried to stop being so wussy on this album, but it's still a bit twee for my liking.
Second opinion by Agentgonzo on 22nd Sep '06 7/10
More of the same from Keane, which is good in one way, but was hoping for something new.

Also the line in "under the iron sea" sounds like he's singing "Oh Chris De-Burgh, Chris De-Burgh..."
 Average Rating 8.15

The Guv
Fri 16th Jun '06 1:17PM
320 Posts
Angels And Airwaves - We Don't Need To Whisper 10/10
Since Blink 182 split Tom Delong has been working on his new band and this album is well worth the effort and defo worth a listen.

Stop "i am not listening to Blink 182 dude" dont say this listen to this is not like 182, but its hard to describe the style i would say Melodic Rock with the power of a huge drill with harmonies.

Just check out 'The Adventure' well top melodic rock with what i said up there. The album does not have one weak tune on it and each track is better than the last.

If anyone is going to see the Foo Fighters like me on sunday at LCCC get there earlier and check these out. I am well looking forward to these playing live.

Please have a listen to this album you will not be dissapointed with this guys efforts, He has grown up a lot since his Blink days.

Overall this is the best album i have heard in a long time and I thinkthat everybody should have this album in there collection.

Thanks for reading and ENJOY.

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Tue 4th Jul '06 9:43AM
212 Posts
Sigur Ros - Takk 9.5/10
If a bunch of moomins strolled into an enchanted forest and met up with some kittens who had been taking lessons in icelandic, and the whole lot of them formed a band, this is what the resultant music would sound like...

Lots of lovely glockenspiel action & squeaky vocals aplenty

Is there anything better than songs with names you can't pronounce or indeed spell properly?

If I ever slip into a coma, this is the kind of music I would like to have played at full blast to rouse me from my unconscious wanderings
Second opinion by Diziet on 4th Jul '06 9.5/10
you should check out this video...

http://forum.thedaddy.org/view_thread.html?ref_id=18655&id=18687&start=0
Second opinion by Arabstrap on 7th Sep '06 9/10
Stunning.

'Shoegazing' has grown up into something all together more musical - yet has lost none of it's epic, ethereal qualities - with this band.
I've been a fan since i heard 'Njosnavelin' in Vanilla Sky (what a shame such a beautiful song had to feature in such a shite waste of film).

If you enjoyed 'Takk...' you should definately check out 'Ágætis byrjun', 'Von' and '()'. Samples of these albums, as well as some videos etc, can be downloaded from their website: 'Eighteen Seconds Before Sunrise'.
Second opinion by General on 22nd Jan '07 8/10
So epic and lovely
 Average Rating 9

Diziet
optical moose
Sat 15th Jul '06 7:25PM
2522 Posts
cigarettes and alcohol - oasis 10/10
i know its old, but i've recently rediscovered this track and by god does it rock!

bouncing round the bedroom with a makeshift tambourine as we speak...

Diziet
optical moose
Sat 15th Jul '06 7:27PM
2522 Posts
the automatic - monster 8/10
thanks to xfm for introducing me to this tip-top band.

bouncy indie rock of the highest order with an excellent video to boot.

Diziet
optical moose
Sun 13th Aug '06 12:56PM
2522 Posts
muse - black holes and revelations 10/10
come on you metal muthers!!!!

Second opinion by General on 13th Aug '06 10/10
ROCK!
Second opinion by Ginger fury on 4th Sep '06 10/10
Oh there is one song in particular thats quiet outstanding. The one thats a bit churchy, it's quiet breathtaking
Average Rating 10

Spanners*
Mon 14th Aug '06 6:41AM
4597 Posts
The Severed Garden (Adagio) - The Doors 12/10
One of Jim Morrisons poems posthumously put to the music of Albinoni's Adagio in D played by the rest of the band. It's the best tune ever!

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Mon 4th Sep '06 5:54PM
4213 Posts
Audioslave - The Origional Fire 9/10
Just heard this new tune.

Sounds like AC DC playing Motowns back catalogue!
Second opinion by Diziet on 25th Feb '07 10/10
chris cornell has been a rock hero of mine since the early 90's. i first heard soundgarden when they were on the sub pop label in the early 90's and i've loved cornell's voice ever since. audioslave are easily superior to soundgarden (cornell with the remaining three members of rage against the machine minus zack de la rocha - air tight, intelligent rock combined with cornell's skyscraper rock vocals. chris cornell left audioslave last week...
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1552582/20070215/audioslave.jhtml it'll be interesting to see what music he comes up with next.

Average Rating 9.5

Diziet
optical moose
Mon 4th Sep '06 8:22PM
2522 Posts
guillemots - through the window pane 8/10
gorgeous, quirky stuff. each song sounds like the end theme for a movie.

its a bit over produced in parts and can be self-indulgent, but its still a beautiful album.

edit: i can't remember a time when a song made me as happy as Trains To Brazil does.
Second opinion by General on 4th Sep '06 8/10
Going to see them in a month Yay!
Average Rating 8

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Mini-Reviews Of Everything! 1 of 4 - 1, 2, 3, 4  Next> Final>>

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedMagina is The Daddy