Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Music - 31 to 60
Return To Mini-Reviews Of Everything! 2 of 4 - <<First  1, 2, 3, 4  Next> Final>>

Diziet
optical moose
Thu 14th Sep '06 6:38PM
2522 Posts
kasabian - empire 9/10
my hometown of leicester can now pride itself not only on showaddywaddy and engleburt humperdink. now we have kasabian who rock like gudduns.

Second opinion by General on 9th Feb '08 8/10
Good solid anthemic indie rock. Compared to their first album it is more glam and less electronic with better song writing.
Average Rating 8.5

Arabstrap
Daddy-licious
Wed 20th Sep '06 10:36AM
215 Posts
'The Nephilim' - Fields of the Nephilim 9.5/10
Darker than an Eastenders xmas special. Moodier than a grounded teenager. Broodier than... you get the idea.

Pure 80's Goth, this album is up there with the likes of 'Disintegration' by the Cure. Sounds a bit like Pink Floyd... after a night out drinking. in a graveyard. with Satan. If you like the darker side of rock and don't find the gothic thing too goofy, i heartily recommend this album. In fact, if you like rock at all, give it a listen - you may be pleasantly suprised!

and indeed
Second opinion by Diziet on 20th Sep '06 9/10
saw them at nottingham rock city in the early 90's when i was a little tortured goth. well, i say 'saw' them - what i actually saw was a load of dry ice and the occasional cowboy hat / leather duster coat. nobody on this earth can growl like carl mccoy. openly pretentious and arty and downright fabulous. come on everybody, after 3 - 1...2...3....'moonchild, lower me down, lower me down, moonchiiiiiild, lower me down down down....'
Average Rating 9.25

Agentgonzo
There's no pee in catheter!
Fri 22nd Sep '06 12:16PM
811 Posts
The Calling - Camino Palmero 9/10
Just a very good album. good guitars and each song makes you think "why have I not heard these guys before?"

Arabstrap
Daddy-licious
Mon 2nd Oct '06 10:30PM
215 Posts
Neil Young - Unplugged (1993) 10/10
Beautiful and absolutely stunning. I can't remember the last time i lay on my bed with headphones on, closed my eyes and drifted away in the swirl of musical imagary that is this album. I forgot how good it is.
Every song is a classic stripped down to it's most basic elements. If you are not too familiar with his work (beyond the popular classics), then this album is a perfect introduction. It's like every note comes straight from the depths of his soul.
If you have ever been in love, stood in numb wonder watching the sun rise (or set), felt profound sadness about the things people do to each other or, basically, done anything that stirs emotion, you should get a copy of this album.

Sorry, got a bit carried away there. It's dead good - give it a listen!
Second opinion by Arabstrap on 2nd Oct '06 9.9/10
That's quite amusing. I rated it 9.999 and it was automatically rounded up to 10!
Call me pedantic, but i just can't give a song/album 10/10. No matter how good it is!
Average Rating 9.95

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Wed 4th Oct '06 2:46PM
4597 Posts
Jump in My Car - David Hasselhoff 16/10
Damn!
I heard this song for the first time yesterday in the gym and nearly fell off my cross trainer I was laughing so much. Everyone needs a copy of this song.
No, really. Everyone.
Second opinion by General on 16th May '07 0/10
It's happened I've stopped finding the Hoff funny
    Average Rating 8

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 10th Oct '06 10:00PM
4678 Posts
Bobo Stenson Trio, RNCM, 10.10.06 10/10
I wish I had the knowledge and vocabulary to do these guys justice with a description. Mind-blowing, orgiastic, ridiculous, sublime, beautiful, blissed-out, ominous, overwhelming.

If I had 1% of the skill at Subbuteo that these guys have at music, I'd be able to flick a 2in replica of Alan Shearer almost fourteen miles, using the little finger of my left hand.

Spanners*
Wed 11th Oct '06 1:20AM
4597 Posts
Mardy Bum - Arctic Monkeys 9/10
"I've seen your frown and it's like looking down the barrel of a gun"
Great fun tune that many can relate to - both men and ladies

Diziet
optical moose
Sun 29th Oct '06 6:11PM
2522 Posts
the sunshine underground - my army 9/10
i'm sure i heard this a while ago - in 1985, if memory serves...

the vocalist sounds like bob smith (circa 1981) and the music is an edgy mix of early stone roses and fun boy three (with added nik kershaw, the wedding present and the jam).

this album is a great collection of guitar driven, melodic tunes that make you feel nostalgic even though they're brand new.

Diziet
optical moose
Wed 1st Nov '06 8:54PM
2522 Posts
Mogwai - Mr Beast 9/10
epic melodic guitar noise. with no singing to ruin the really loud bits.

god bless them.

may they never stop recording their jams and calling them albums.

Diziet
optical moose
Mon 20th Nov '06 11:47PM
2522 Posts
take a chance - the magic numbers 8/10
the harmonies remind me of the pixies and the chord change on the verse is one of the sweetest things i've heard in ages. the lyrics are pretty as well.

upbeat and uplifting.

Second opinion by General on 16th May '07 9/10
The most perfect summer guitar pop
Average Rating 8.5

Kelly*
Poke me in the knees and call me Roger
Wed 6th Dec '06 10:29AM
758 Posts
Inside - Stiltskin 10/10
Do you know what you get if you translate the following in to normal language?

Swing low in a dark glass hour
You turn and cower
See it turn to dust

Move on a stone dark night
We take to flight
Snowfall turns to rust

No? I'll tell you what you get: rock.

This is surely the noise that rock makes when it's parents are away for the weekend and have accidentally left the soda stream out. Misters Loaf and Cooper, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to step aside. You've had my loyalty for all these years but I'm afraid rock seems to have a new voice.
Second opinion by General on 6th Dec '06 8/10
Amazingly this was made up in a day by a group of session musicans told to make a song that sounded a bit like that grungy stuff that was popular at the time, for a levis advert.

In the words of jack black
"Rock AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"
Second opinion by Diziet on 6th Dec '06 8/10
i always thought this was the smashing pumpkins when i heard it on the advert. then i heard it in a club and realised it wasn't. still, ROCK!!!
Second opinion by Arabstrap on 6th Dec '06 9/10
Superb! I'd forgotten all about this tune.
I shall head to a ligit music download site straight away!

It's all about the chant, the feedback, the riff... BOOM!

Second opinion by Ginger fury on 18th Jan '07 10/10
WOW so thats where the song comes from Kelly Ta!
   Average Rating 9

Diziet
optical moose
Sun 14th Jan '07 11:49AM
2522 Posts
mika - grace kelly 0/10
bouncy piano madness. sounds like a mix of freddy mercury and slade.

i have no idea how this fella hits the high notes on the chorus but i suspect he may employ some sort of testicle clamp.

you'll have this going round your head for days.

edit: changed the score on this one as it now makes me want to commit violent, bloody murder.
Second opinion by General on 14th Jan '07 1/10
It's going to be everywhere this year and I already hate it
Second opinion by Ginger fury on 14th Jan '07 9/10
I have to say I think that this song is brill. It just makes me smile every time I listen to it and at times I have laughed out loud.

The darkeness meets Robbie Williams me thinks
Second opinion by Emo Squid on 2nd Mar '07 0/10
One of those songs that makes me want to chop down radio masts with a giant scythe.
Second opinion by Clara on 24th Apr '07 9/10
Aw, I love this song! Happy and jolly and made for Clara. Album is good too.

You lot are just killjoys!
Second opinion by Agentgonzo on 7th Jun '07 10/10
It's brilliant. It's just happy fun. What the summer needs. The whole album is great too.
Average Rating 4.83

Diziet
optical moose
Mon 15th Jan '07 7:23PM
2522 Posts
the prayer - bloc party 9/10
twisted dance that sounds a little like adam ant.

the video is amazing...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=T8oRFcA0mFM
Second opinion by General on 20th Jan '07 9/10
I'm so looking forward to their new album if this is anything to go by!
Average Rating 9

Clara
Even red onions have a silver lining
Thu 18th Jan '07 2:56PM
838 Posts
The Feeling-Twelve Stops and Home 9/10
As per Diziet's review of their single 'Fill My Little World...', I have to say that these fellas make the most amazingly catchy tunes. Whether you like or dislike having said songs imbedded in your brain for life will entirely depend upon your taste in music and whether you are a fan of the not-so-deep but very fun indeed poppy rock genre...

I am an out and out fan of such music, therefore I LOVE THIS!!! Blue Piccadilly is a gorgeous song on the slower side, but Fill My Little World and I Love it When You Call have to be my faves. If I listen to them on my MP3 player, they have this effect on me, entirely subconscious, whereby I grin inanely and start bouncing along to work, rather than walking in the rushed, elbows out fashion favoured by most people at that time of day. That can only be a good thing.

If you don't like said genre of music, I can only recommend some form of hypnotherapy at regular intervals in order to remove it from your brain. I can't see much else working.
Second opinion by Ginger fury on 18th Jan '07 9/10
I have to agree with you there, the songs just put a smile on my face whether I want to smile or not. An d lets face it anything that can cheer your day can not be a bad thing.
Second opinion by Agentgonzo on 7th Jun '07 8/10
A very good album. Lovely music, but if only they'd included "the sun is shining" on the album (it was on the Fill my Little World single, it would have made it complete
 Average Rating 8.67

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Sat 20th Jan '07 5:05PM
4213 Posts
Air Traffic 8/10
My top tip for greatness this year is Air Traffic (Last year it was the Guillemots and the year before the Magic Numbers so I have quite a good hit rate!)

They only have a solitary EP out so far, but I really love it's punchy upbeat pop songs something I'm a total sucker for.
I'm going to see them at the NME awards next month and I can't wait.

Check out their website for some tunes and then buy their EP!

http://www.air-traffic.co.uk/

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Tue 27th Feb '07 1:21PM
2708 Posts
Wings of a dove (a celebratory song) - Madness 10/10
I've had this song embedded in my head for the last two weeks and I can't get rid of it. And I still like it. One of those joyously catchy feel good songs that pick you up and set you on your way!

Woah! Woah! On the Wings of a Dove!
Woah! Woah! On the Wings of a Dove!
Second opinion by Emo Squid on 8th May '07 10/10
Skankfest!
   Average Rating 10

Diziet
optical moose
Thu 1st Mar '07 8:01PM
2522 Posts
the fratellis - costello music 8/10
there was a quote from the NME on the poster ads for this album which read, 'the fratellis have come to entertain us'.

that quote is pretty much true. the fratellis sound like the band hired to play at a wedding or birthday party who turn out to actually be quite good indeed. they're the type of band who would have your gran shaking her wrinkly stuff on the dancefloor after a few shots of gin.

they play pub rock anthems that make you think of half-cut blokes jumping up and down frantically with a pint of the good stuff in one hand.

henrietta is totally barmy, riddled with oompa horns and seventh chords (this album, by the way, has more seventh chords than any album created on any world in the universe ever). chelsea dagger is frickin fantastic - a song that appears to be about a tranny entertaining kids behind a hotel (not as dodgy as it sounds, honest). there are 11 other songs which are as good, if not better.

if you're planning a party in the near future, make sure you have a copy of this album to hand. its blooming tunetastic (mate).

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Sun 11th Mar '07 12:45AM
4213 Posts
Air - Pocket Sumphony 7/10
Most of the magazine reviews of this album have been quite negative claiming that Air have in some way failed to reach their potential and have rested on their laurels in producing annother CD of chillout music.

I don't really share that view. If it wasn't for Air and Moby no one who doesn't own an Aphex Twin T-Shirt would even care about chillout music. That said this album is a very laid back affair it has less singing and obvious singles than previous work, though it does feature a typically classy contribution from Jarvis Cocker.

More of an album to have on while you chat with friends than an album to focus your attention on, but a decent album none the less.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Sun 11th Mar '07 1:05AM
4213 Posts
This Is Hazelville - Captain 10/10
Recently I have been wondering: Why aren't Captain one of the biggest bands in Britain right now?

To my ears they have all the pop savy and melodic hooks of The Feeling or The Kaiser Chiefs, but without the faint whiff of cheese that surrounds either band. Not only are the songs lovingly crafted, but they feature some of the best Male/Female harmony singing that I've heard in a while (And I love Male/Female harmony singing).

Another big plus for the album is the production work by Trevor Horn the legendary producer of Uber hits like Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood and Band Aid and as a result it sounds mind bendingly lovely (It's my current HIFI testing track).

If you love classic unashamedly commercial guitar pop with lots of 80's keyboard then try and get a listen to this album and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

i think I'll go out on a limb and say it was the best album of 2006.

Diziet
optical moose
Wed 21st Mar '07 6:07PM
2522 Posts
enter shikari - sorry your not a winner / mothership 6/10
two singles by this youthful, energetic hard rock / trance band.

i tried really hard to like them because if i was 17 i'd be following this band around the country and moshing at the front of every gig. as it is, i'm almost 34 and some of the appeal is lost on me.

as marty mcfly once said, 'your kids are gonna love it'.

Second opinion by General on 16th May '07 10/10
They make me want to be 14 again so I can turn it up really loud and upset my parents.
Average Rating 8

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Mon 26th Mar '07 11:54AM
2708 Posts
Twisted Little Star - Bertine Zetlitz 10/10
This is one of those songs that you immediately think you've heard before, and you can almost sing along to. You can't of course, but the chorus will embed itself in your head and stay there for ages!

It's also one of those songs that you can almost see being played during a long running tv show when the will-they-won't-they couple finally get together. It's a glorious piece of delicate instruments and gorgeous vocals that can't but help to speak to you about nice things.

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Wed 4th Apr '07 2:53PM
1673 Posts
Annbjørg Lien - Prisme 9/10
An album of contemporary-ish styled violin music, inspired by traditional Norwegian folk tunes and orchestrated in a style that is somewhere between progressive rock and Celtic chillout. Well, that's the best way I can think of to describe it; frankly, it's a style that's difficult to categorise and yet sounds, well, perfect. I downloaded this album because I had some free eMusic credits and felt like being adventurous (hey, that's what eMusic's for!). On a whim I clicked on International and then Nordic, and hey presto.

It's beautiful stuff - lots of fiddles (Ms Lien is the fiddler), pipes, guitars, drums etc. I won't deny it - at times there are strains of the Enya , the James Horner or even the Michael Flatley about it, but really, so much better. If you're not a fan of such Celtic-styled music then you probably won't find much to like here; but if, like me, you can see the merit of it but are easily bored by the formulaic Titanic-esque stuff that tends to abound, I'd urge you to listen to this album. It's simultaneously uplifting and relaxing, and every track is gorgeous in its own way. Particularly standing out for me on a second listen are Villvinter (Wild Winter) and Cantabile. If you've got an eMusic account - and I know some of you do - have a listen to the free samples. If you don't have an eMusic account, ask me to refer you for a free trial and we'll both get some free credits!

(I'd recommend using some proper speakers as built-in laptop ones just don't do it justice. You need to turn it up and surround yourself.)
Second opinion by Amanshu on 11th Apr '07 7/10
The advantage of having a Norwegian house mate is that whenever I need something Norwegian I can go next door and ask him for it. Granted it doesn't happen often but I was so intrigued by Malcolm's description I just had to.

I've got to say it's good music. The best thing I can compare it to is Capercaillie without the vocals (i.e. the instrumental stuff from "the blood is strong"). Especially the title track Prisme.

Now don't get me wrong this is a good thing. It's just I've got to say Capercaillie do it better. It's good, but it's not great. However that might just be because I'm listening for the Scottish and not the Norwegian. I'm not really sure to be honest. I'll go listen to it some more.
   Average Rating 8

Emo Squid
sanctus, sanctus, sanctus
Tue 24th Apr '07 2:03PM
624 Posts
Miserere - Gregorio Allegri 10/10
A choral piece performed by the Sistine Chapel during holy week. It's transcription (and any performance outside the chapel) was punishable by excommunication. A young Mozart heard a performance and wrote it out NOTE FOR NOTE when he got home.

It is, quite simply, stunning.
Second opinion by Ginger fury on 25th Apr '07 10/10
So thats what that is called then. Beautiful. How could anyone have any bad thoughts whilst listening to that.
Average Rating 10

Diziet
optical moose
Sun 29th Apr '07 5:42PM
2522 Posts
midlake - the trials of van occupanther 9/10
a beautiful mix of alt-country and prog-rock. this album is made for sleepy summer afternoons.

'roscoe' reminds me of the blue oyster cult.

outstanding stuff.

Spanners*
Sun 29th Apr '07 6:40PM
4597 Posts
Melody AM - Royksopp 10/10
Royksopp's debut album, and unquestionably their best. The gentle beats and beautiful melodies really convey the emotions behind the tracks.
I know a lot of people get put off the electronica/trip hop genre but believe me, these guys (and possibly Morcheeba) will show you how marvellous it can be when its done well.
Just goes to show what amazing results can come from giving a couple of Scandinavians a keyboard. What an album!
Second opinion by General on 4th May '07 8/10
A lovely summer evening record
    Average Rating 9

Diziet
optical moose
Mon 30th Apr '07 11:32AM
2522 Posts
mika - love today -100000000/10
somebody

kill

me

please
Second opinion by Clara on 30th Apr '07 100000000/10
Nope. Love it!
Second opinion by Emo Squid on 30th Apr '07 -100000001/10
somebody

kill

Mika

please!
Second opinion by General on 4th May '07 0/10
The pain the terrible pain
Second opinion by Agentgonzo on 9th Aug '07 1797693134862315795899186413568.0/10
Stop putting stupid numbers in
Average Rating 359538626972463131032339611648.0

Emo Squid
Fri 4th May '07 1:37PM
624 Posts
Clair de Lune (from suite bergamasque) - Claude Debussy 9/10
Float away.

Diziet
optical moose
Tue 8th May '07 11:31AM
2522 Posts
jamie t - sheila 0/10
this gobshite really needs to get off my radio.

'it gets poured all over her fella' indeed.

garbage.
Second opinion by General on 8th May '07 0/10
Makes me want to tear my own ears off and throw them at the radio
Average Rating 0

Emo Squid
Tue 8th May '07 2:36PM
624 Posts
Different Stars - Trespassers William 8.5/10
Recommended to me by a friend, i decided to give them a listen on Monday morning after a particularly heavy night out. I listened to the whole album twice in a row. Beautiful, dreamy pop music with a slight shoegazer influence.
They sound a bit like: Doves, Mazzy Star, Cocteau Twins and The Sundays.
They remind me of a rain shower on a summers day.

Perfect music to stay in bed with a hangover to!

Emo Squid
Tue 15th May '07 1:02PM
624 Posts
Jack Rose - Kensington Blues 9/10
I'm going through a bit of a folk thing at the moment (i think the spring air is getting to me). On my quest to satisfy this thirst for all things jangly and ethereal I stumbled across this fellow.
Now, those of you who are familiar with the late John Fahey will no doubt testify that Mr Rose isn't doing anything particularly new with his fusion of open-tuned folk, blues and eastern music, but, that said, he is keeping the sound alive - and in a very proficient manner.

This is 60 mins of some of the finest acoustic guitar playing i have heard since, well, i can't remember. It is intricate without being flashy, emotional without being sentimental and experimental without being inaccessable or pretentious. The one thing which prevails throughout is the sense of melody - and i like that.

-1 point for getting a bit deep in parts, not that i'm against this, it just might put some people off.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Mini-Reviews Of Everything! 2 of 4 - <<First  1, 2, 3, 4  Next> Final>>

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedMagina is The Daddy