Home Search First Look Rules Help TheDaddy.org BlogLogin/Register
By bye hackers
Music - 61 to 90
Return To Mini-Reviews Of Everything! 3 of 4 - <<First  1, 2, 3, 4  Next> Final>>

Diziet
optical moose
Wed 16th May '07 8:27PM
2522 Posts
rappers delight - sugar hill gang 1e31/10
my mum's favourite record of 1979.

up jump the boogy to the bam bam boogy. say what?

edit: edited for added numerical stupidity.
Second opinion by General on 16th May '07 10/10
An ace old skool hip hop track with a Chic sample. What more could one want
Second opinion by Emo Squid on 17th May '07 2/10
The rapping is awful and the Chic tune used for the hook was already an established classic.
Second opinion by Agentgonzo on 9th Aug '07 -10000000000000/10
Campaign for sensible numbers
Average Rating 2499999999999999908974073741312.0

Diziet
optical moose
Wed 16th May '07 8:52PM
2522 Posts
herbie hancock - rockit 17723497239874899929396548730880.0/10
bloody hell, thats the second song i've discovered tonight that's taken me back to my youth.

i used to breakdance to this when i was about 13. emo squid and the ginger fury have probably had the misfortune of watching me try to breakdance recently. thats alcohol for you...

an absolutely flipping brilliant slice of jurassic scratch electro.

edit: in response to your second opinion, AG, no there isn't. look...
Second opinion by General on 16th May '07 9/10
Him A Jazz/Funk/Hiphop legend
Second opinion by Emo Squid on 17th May '07 9/10
That's more like it!
Second opinion by Agentgonzo on 9th Aug '07 -1000000000000/10
Is there a way to stop people putting stupid numbers into here?
Average Rating 4430874309968724982349137182720.0

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Sat 26th May '07 3:46AM
2708 Posts
Longplayer 9/10
Take one piece of music played by tibetan bowls that lasts about 2 minutes and 20 seconds long. Set 6 players playing it, changing where in the music they start playing from and at what pitch they're playing in a nice logical and straight-forward manner so that the entire song won't repeat for exactly 1000 years. Start at the start of one millenium. End at the end of another.

This thing will always be bigger and better than you. It will always be more than you. And personally if it makes it to the other end of the millenium then maybe we ain't done too bad.
Second opinion by Diziet on 27th May '07 2/10
i'm sorry but that isn't music.
   Average Rating 5.5

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Thu 31st May '07 11:20PM
4213 Posts
Biffy Clyro - Living Is Easy Because Everything Dies 9/10

Every so often a band steps up from also ran to the big leagues. I just can't get enough of this song.
Second opinion by Mrsham on 4th Jun '07 7/10
ROCK. Good to see a Scotsman pulling off the shaggy-haired-semi-naked-seething-hunk-of-rock-god vibe successfully. Can you imagine Roddy from Idlewild or that bloke from Travis doing this? Loses a couple of marks for me for bizarre synthesised opera voices at the end there, but even that may grow on me. Cheers General!
    Average Rating 8

Mrsham
I lost my toes in a game of blackjack
Mon 4th Jun '07 2:39PM
505 Posts
The National - Boxer 9/10
This album is currently rocking my socks in a melancholy dark sort of way. First I'd heard of The National was this single:

And then I got the album, and it's awesome. I love bands that have baritone/bass singers (like Editors) as it means I can sing along to myself without sounding like a chicken. More relevantly, it really suits the mood of this album - less indie whining and more world-weariness and controlled anger and pounding rhythms. The songs are beautiful as long as you don't mind a heavy dose of misery - took me a while to get into it. I'm still getting goose bumps when the chorus of the first track comes in.

(Coincidentally they're indie label-mates of Biffie Clyro - see above)
Second opinion by Emo Squid on 7th Jun '07 8/10
Wow. I've just downloaded the album from emusic and it is really good!
I expected them to be 'just another dog-eared indie band' but they ain't (probably just because their name has the word 'the' in it)!!! Hurrah!
A very welcome change from the likes of Keiser Theifs, The Kooks and all that other shite that's about at the moment.
Second opinion by General on 9th Feb '08 7/10
I find them to be a weird mix of alt country and joy division. Alligator is my fav album of theirs, but this is pretty good.
 Average Rating 8

Diziet
optical moose
Tue 5th Jun '07 10:38AM
2522 Posts
calvin harris - the girls 2/10
'i like them black girls, i like them white girls, i like them tall girls, i like them short girls...'

shut up shut up shut up

Anonymous on 5th Jun '07 1/10
Remove his dermis and roll him in salt. Tosser.

ES
Second opinion by General on 9th Feb '08 1/10
Has an effect rather like using a dremel as a cotton bud.
Average Rating 1.33

Emo Squid
sanctus, sanctus, sanctus
Mon 11th Jun '07 10:47AM
624 Posts
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible 10/10
Canadians. Lovely people.

A collective of about ten multi-instrumentalists getting together and making the most of their vast range of influences and their infinately more vast range of talents. I've waited a long time for this band to come along - now they have and they have brought with them a sound big enough to give Pink Floyd a run for their money.
If you're tired of the current carboard cut-out indie dirge and want something with a bit of substance, then get yourself a copy of this album and whilst you're at it, get their first album as well!
The only bad thing about this album is the fact that it ends.

PS - they are David Bowie's favorite band at the moment.
Second opinion by Diziet on 11th Jun '07 8/10
'tis indeed very good. david byrne loves them as well.

Second opinion by General on 9th Feb '08 10/10
I have to give this album 10 out of ten because when I listened to it on my new headphones all my neck hairs went PING!
Average Rating 9.33

Diziet
optical moose
Tue 12th Jun '07 9:19AM
2522 Posts
cherry ghost - people help the people 3/10
manchester band with delusions of Doves.

still, they make a pretty noise and this song is very catchy. it borders on dreary though. Doves can carry this off but unfortunately Cherry Ghost end up sounding a bit like Coldplay.

edit: having watched the video i'm changing the rating from a 6 to a 3. its a montage of clips from around north manchester and some blatant shots of the arndale centre.

i work in north manchester and this video is simply wrong. its a blatant rip off of the Doves' Black and White Town. that song was about a deprived urban area and it worked - the lyrics are as harsh as the images. Doves are from wilmslow and yet they manage to capture their subject perfectly. Cherry Ghost come from Bolton which may be a shithole (as far as i know) but it's not Harpurhey or Collyhurst (both severely deprived areas in north manchester) and they clearly don't have the talent to write about deprivation. the images in this video are trite nonsense, made even more trite by the inappropriate lyrics ("and if you're home sick, give me your hand and i'll hold it". what, homesick for decay and abject poverty?). north manchester is a hell hole and some drippy ballad with a slick video means nothing. leave this stuff to the Doves, boys.

here is the video in all it's crappy glory...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wnKhW_RecTA

Mrsham
Wed 13th Jun '07 1:20PM
505 Posts
Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds - Live at Luther College 9/10
I was lent this double live album a while ago as an introduction to Dave Matthews, and haven't looked back, I've played it a ridiculous number of times since I got my own copy. If you've heard any of the full versions of Dave Matthews Band songs and been put off by the big polished jam band sound (I like it, but I can see how its not everyone's cup of tea) try this. Same songs, but completely different feel. I much prefer it acoustic. On some of the tracks it's easy to forget its just two guitars and a voice.

The best thing about it is that on the whole his songs are hopeful, even joyful, without being trite, which I think is rare in contemporary music. He's has some seriously bad stuff happen to him and his family that caused him to re-evaluate his (Christian) Quaker upbringing - he describes himself as agnostic now - and I suspect much of the emotion in the songs comes out of that. You get the impression of someone who loves life and is trying his best to make sense of it, which pushes my buttons at least. If you like acoustic guitars, good tunes, good words and great live performances, you probably will like this!

Diziet
optical moose
Tue 26th Jun '07 3:33PM
2522 Posts
selfish jean - travis 10/10
normally i hate their twee nonsense but this one hits all the right notes with me.

they've spelled the name wrong though.

"With a perfect understanding of the finer things in life
A quite alarming knack of knowing when to twist the knife"

Emo Squid
Mon 2nd Jul '07 10:41AM
624 Posts
Opeth - Deliverance 9/10
RRRRRRROOOOOOOOOAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!! BDDDDDDDBDDDDDDDBDDDDDDBDDDDDD!!!!!!
RRRRRRROOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!
GNNANANANANANANA!!!!!! BDDDDDDBDDDDDD!!!!!!!!
bringgggg flutter chirp chirp flutter bringggg
laaa laaaaa oooohhh aaahhhh twiddle flutter chirp.....
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

What an unbelievable album! A band that refuses to be pigeon-holed by comfortably straddling genres as diverse as folk, jazz, blues, death/doom, progressive and straight-up goth - often in the same song. They manage to pull this off without it sounding, well, how you would expect it to.
Every track clocks in at over 10mins, with the exception of one and progresses through several movements, rather than following the traditional verse/chorus structure.

The heavier bits are extremely heavy. You have been warned. However, the lighter moments are nothing short of beautiful.
At first listen, the album is quite challenging, but if you approach it with an open mind and a good degree of patience, you will be greatly rewarded. I should mention, if you are not a fan of death/doom metal, give it a wide birth because this is the band's primary sound and you will (most likely) just write it off as noise. Also avoid if you are a die-hard death-metaller who thinks that acoustic guitars and swirly vocals have no place in the canon of doom. It is definately an aquired taste.

I can't get enough of this album and plan to spend most of a portion of the morning downloading their back-catalogue.

and .

Diziet
optical moose
Sun 8th Jul '07 11:58PM
2522 Posts
eva cassidy - somewhere over the rainbow 10/10
this woman has an amazing voice...

Diziet
optical moose
Mon 9th Jul '07 12:15AM
2522 Posts
eva cassidy - autumn leaves 10/10
she is wonderful...

edit: just type 'eva cassidy' into youtube and watch any of her videos. they're all worth a look.

Second opinion by Emo Squid on 9th Aug '07 8/10
This is a great version of an old French folk tune. It is, imo, one of the saddest songs ever written. Over the years it has become a jazz standard and has mutated into an up-beat swinging number (check out the Winton Kelly Trio version to see what i mean).
Good to hear Eva reverting to the original sentiment. She would make a lottery winner who has just taken a happy tablet feel morose.
Average Rating 9

Diziet
optical moose
Mon 23rd Jul '07 12:07PM
2522 Posts
mika - big girls -1e30/10
its hard to see how the law of diminishing returns can apply to mika when he was so crap to begin with.

somehow the lad manages it though.

this is possibly the worst piece of shit i've ever subjected my ears to.

it reminds me of a leper puking constantly into a casio keyboard while the Scissor Sisters scrub each other's inner thighs with rough grade sandpaper. somewhere nearby a shaved puppy is being beaten to death with a plutonium-enriched hedgehog as someone's grandma downs a pint of her own sweat collected over many years in the barrel of a rusted tuba. the spirit of Freddie Mercury hovers overhead, hacking away at itself with a broken bottle of chardonnay and screaming, screaming, screaming...
Second opinion by Emo Squid on 23rd Jul '07 0/10
I take it you're not mad keen then, diz.

It is truly awful, even by novelty-pop standards.
Second opinion by Agentgonzo on 9th Aug '07 1797693134862315795899186413568.0/10
Stop putting stupid numbers in
Average Rating 265897711620771937066311221248.0

Diziet
optical moose
Tue 24th Jul '07 4:49PM
2522 Posts
amy macdonald - mr rock and roll 8/10
imagine kirsty macoll but more summery and poptastic.

a really infectious mandolin hook and a beautiful chorus put this in the running for my song of the summer.

Second opinion by Emo Squid on 3rd Aug '07 7/10
Not bad. Not bad at all. She's also very, err, easy on the eye.
Average Rating 7.5

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Tue 24th Jul '07 5:17PM
4597 Posts
Chav Rock 1/10
What's the deal with these chavs s**ting out songs about what happened to them and their mate Sharon when they were buying beans in Tesco? That ain't music. No no no.
Although I'm not averse to Lily Allen in small doses.
Second opinion by General on 26th Sep '07 7/10
I guess you are counting Lilly Allen, Hard Fi and Kate Nash in this category?

If so not my fav but preferable to the gawd awful Libertines/Arctics copyists who grace the charts at the moment.
Second opinion by Diziet on 9th Nov '07 1/10
lily allen and kate nash can sod off back to Asda as far as i'm concerned.
    Average Rating 3

Emo Squid
Fri 3rd Aug '07 4:54PM
624 Posts
The White Stripes - Icky Thump 8.5/10
A return to form by the noisy devorced couple who pretend to be siblings. The title track is - as much as i hate to use the word - awesome!

*Amusing moment on Later... when Jack reveiled that it took just 3 weeks to record the album - the longest to date. The Keiser Chefs (sic), who were also on the show, said their album took a year. There was much laughter.*

Emo Squid
Mon 6th Aug '07 4:55PM
624 Posts
Steve Reich - Electric Counterpoint 10/10
Every so often, i hear a piece of music that blows me away, but end up forgetting what it's called and who it's by. Yet another reason why the interweb is so bloody wonderful.

I first heard this piece when i was 14. It was given to me by a supply teacher who introduced me to lots of books and music that i would most likely never have heard or read until much later in life. I think it would be perfectly reasonable of me to say that his influence changed my life and views on the world quite dramatically. I posted something about him on Facebook last week, under a 'favourite teacher' thingy. As i was typing away, i remembered this piece of music and set about finding it.

The piece - consisting of 3 movements simply titled fast, slow, fast - has been recorded by several artists, all based around two different arrangements. The first arrangement is for guitar and tape loop, where each phrase finishes as the other begins and builds up to a wash of layered guitars which are rhythmically independant, yet compliment each other harmonically. The Pat Metheny version is flawless and beautiful. The second version, whilst being musically identical, is arranged for guitar ensemble. This is the version i have just downloaded and it is played by French eco-friendly guitar orchestra Forestare.

It's a glorious example of minimalist composition and one best appericiated, in my opinion, with headphones on whilst surrounded by nature.
Second opinion by General on 9th Feb '08 10/10
Really very lovely. Perfect to listen to when you are just drifting off and you can let the cascading rhythms wash over you.

Thanks for the recommendation squid.
Average Rating 10

Mrsham
Wed 8th Aug '07 5:31PM
505 Posts
Hot Puppies - The Girl Who Was Too Beautiful 9/10
I owe Gertrude massively for introducing me to this wonderful mob. Maybe I'll stop being mean about her feet. Think Blondie at their best (i.e. bubblegum pop with loud guitars, a punk attitude and femme fatale lead singer), but with better lyrics. I loves it.

EDIT: try "how come you don't hold me no more" as well, or "Terry" for that matter
Second opinion by Gertrude on 16th Aug '07 10/10
They get an extra point because they are truly stupendous live. The drummer looks like drumming makes him happier than anything else in the world, and the singer is a total drama queen, but in a good way. I went to see them at a festival because the name made me giggle (this is also how I discovered Joe Lean and the Jing Jang Jong), and it was a mighty good decision. Awesome!
 Average Rating 9.5

Diziet
optical moose
Tue 4th Sep '07 5:39PM
2522 Posts
Primus - Tommy the Cat 9/10
i've got a live version of this which blows the studio version out of the window. pure mentalist funk rock. Primus always reminded me of a rockier version of Zappa.

i'd love to see them live.

'say baby d'ya wanna lay down with me?'

Second opinion by Emo Squid on 5th Sep '07 9/10
I remember as if it were a meal ago...
Second opinion by General on 7th Sep '07 8/10
Slap bass frenzy
Average Rating 8.67

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Fri 7th Sep '07 5:20PM
4213 Posts
Simian Mobile Disco - Attack Decay Sustain Release 8/10
At last a new rave album that actually is ravey (rather than just indie with keyboards and glowsticks).
Some good scratchy bleepy noises perfect for us venerable pop music pensioners who enjoyed acid house the first time around.
Like all good dance music the album is named after some knobs that can be found on a synthesizer.
I was a bit sceptical when I downloaded this that it was going to be all hype and no content as the group are flavour of the month due to their association with The Arctic Monkeys (remember Dustins Bar Mitzvah… ergh) , but I was very pleasantly surprised.
It's available on e-music so if you have an account get and download it, and if you don't then get an e-music account then download it!

Diziet
optical moose
Thu 13th Sep '07 11:10AM
2522 Posts
macarthur park - jimmy webb 0/10
now, i likes me a bit of Wichita Linesman but this makes me feel physically sick.

4 and a half hours (or so it seems) of syrupy nonsense with some of the most ball-clenchingly high pitched vocals ever recorded.

pass me ma buckit.

Diziet
optical moose
Tue 25th Sep '07 2:23PM
2522 Posts
the angry mob - menswear 2/10
and there i was thinking menswear had fallen down the Britpop Black Hole along with sleeper and dodgy back in '98. i'll give them 2 out of 10 just for old times sake.

sounds a bit like the kaiser chiefs.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Wed 26th Sep '07 9:31PM
4213 Posts
Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace - Foo Fighters 9/10
This is only the second time I've listened to the album so I reserve the right to change my review when I have had the chance to listen a few more times.
Dave Grohl has said in interviews that he wanted to expand the album out of just the trade mark Foo Fighters sound and that is certainly true. It sounds very different to "One By One's" heavily compressed crunchy sound and is a bit more 3 dimensional than "In your Honours" one album of quiet and one album of loud formula. In a way it reminds me of the more AM Radio Rock sounds of "There Is Nothing Left To Lose"
You will find a more classic rock approach to this album which features more in the way of acoustic guitar, guitar solos and piano than previous albums.
One thing that really jumped out at me is how much more dynamic range it has than most modern albums. The quiet bits are really quiet and the loud bits are bloody loud!

Diziet
optical moose
Fri 5th Oct '07 11:42PM
2522 Posts
The Hoosiers - Goodbye Mr A 8/10
a bouncy piece of pop that sounds like ELO and Ben Folds.

marvelous!

Second opinion by General on 6th Oct '07 4/10
As with first single Worried About Ray they have talent, but they get on my nerves.
Mentally filed alongside the Kaiser Chiefs.
Average Rating 6

Diziet
optical moose
Sat 6th Oct '07 2:53AM
2522 Posts
tony de vit - the dawn (paul janes mix) 10/10
bosh bosh bosh bosh

pass me the poppers i love everyone

Emo Squid
Wed 24th Oct '07 12:58PM
624 Posts
Debashish Bhattacharya - Calcutta Slide Guitar 10/10
I'm a big fan of Hindustani/North Indian classical music, especially the deeply emotional and highly improvised ragas. I'm also a big fan of slide guitar, especially delta blues.
This man combines both sickeningly well, Ry Cooder must be green with envy.
This is some of the most emotional guitar playing I have ever heard in my life. If you have even a passing interest in either of the styles mentioned; if you play guitar or simply wish to open your mind to something a bit special, get this album.

Phenomenal.
Second opinion by Mrsham on 5th Jan '08 10/10
My real life Daddy really likes Ali Farka Toure (RIP) (try "in the heart of the moon" with Toumani Diabate if you haven't heard it), so I got him this for Christmas as Toure and Bhattacharya seem often to be mentioned in the same breath despite the obvious difference in styles. Went down a treat, so thanks Emo, and the one listen I had of it was breathtaking even for an uncultured philistine like me
Second opinion by Diziet on 25th Jan '08 10/10
this put me into a hypnagogic state during which i became bongo brothers with Rudi and Spider....

Second opinion by General on 9th Feb '08 8/10
I must admit I am by no means a connoisseur of Indian music, but upon the recommendation of the squid I thought I would widen my horizons. I can't see myself listening to it all that much, but it was undoubtedly an interesting experience to listen to and one that I could recommend. It also features some sick tabla playing.
Average Rating 9.5

Diziet
optical moose
Thu 8th Nov '07 11:41AM
2522 Posts
oceansize - heaven alive 9/10
awesome...

Second opinion by Emo Squid on 8th Nov '07 10/10
Amazing band with probably one of the most talented drummers in the UK. Kind of a cross between Mogwai, Sigur Ros and what Muse would be if they were not so commercial.

They seem quite down to earth - they don't even have an image!!!!!

They're also from Manchester. Huzzah!
Average Rating 9.5

Diziet
optical moose
Sun 20th Jan '08 1:02AM
2522 Posts
Adele - Chasing Pavements 9/10
she's got a voice that would make amy whinehouse feel insecure. she's also charismatic and gorgeous. i think i might love her.

Diziet
optical moose
Tue 29th Jan '08 9:16AM
2522 Posts
J-Lo - Hold It, Don't Drop It 0/10
i'm reviewing this as a warning to all forumers. if you hear this on the radio, switch over immediately. if you're a woman it will make you barren, if you're a man it'll make your nob fall off. its the aural equivalent of the hunchback of notre dame.

truly, truly appalling.

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Mini-Reviews Of Everything! 3 of 4 - <<First  1, 2, 3, 4  Next> Final>>

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedGeneral is The Daddy