By bye hackers
Cheese - 1 to 13
Return To Mini-Reviews Of Everything!

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 7th Dec '04 10:13PM
4678 Posts
PORT SALUT 10/10
To me, the greatest of all cheeses. Creamy and tangy, with a slightly rubbery texture reminiscent of a dutch cheese, but with so much more flavour. For best results serve on hot buttered french bread

Kelly*
Poke me in the knees and call me Roger
Wed 8th Dec '04 7:10PM
758 Posts
MATURE CHEDDAR 7/10
An easy cheese to pass by, but possibly one of the most versatile of all the cheeses. Depending on what you're willing to pay, texture varies from the rubbery to the flaky. More flavourful than it's brother,mild cheddar.
Second opinion by Agentgonzo on 9th Apr '09 8/10
For some reason, it tastes even better if it has been grated
   Average Rating 7.5

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Fri 10th Dec '04 8:55AM
2708 Posts
SMOKED APPLEWOOD 9/10
If I deserved cheese this would be the one I go for every time. A firm mature cheese with a smokey, yet fragrant taste.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Sat 11th Dec '04 2:21AM
4678 Posts
DAIRYLEA 8/10
One of life's guiltiest yet most delicious of pleasures. Completely devoid of any nutritional value except the calcium added in to sell the stuff to mothers, this cheese is utterly worthless yet undeniably munchable. Spread on white toast with margarine for true UK-style trailer-trash cuisine.
Second opinion by Spanners on 17th Oct '06 7/10
It's not a cheese but a residue, but a residue that's good for you!
  Average Rating 7.5

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Sat 11th Dec '04 1:36PM
4597 Posts
WENSLEYDALE 8/10
A deserved favourite of Wallace and Gromit this is a creamy yet crumbly specimen with a medium twang of maturity to it. Great as a big chunk inside fresh rolls. Mmmmm.

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Sat 11th Dec '04 8:01PM
4678 Posts
CASA BLUE 9/10
One of the strongest blue cheeses around, if you like your cheese on the tasty side, this one's for you. Like a stronger version of gorgonzola, though slightly crumblier. A little goes a long way!

Allen Key
Stagnating, like a packet of crisps on the roof.
Sat 18th Dec '04 5:31PM
510 Posts
CAPRICORN SOMERSET GOATS' BRIE 9/10
If you usually find Brie a little bland, have a go at this - whiter in colour, tangier and less squishy. I like Brie. I love goats' cheese. Wasn't convinced the twain should be meeting, but this is good stuff. Whack a wedge on a Nairn's oatcake and you're away.

The goat is called Ethel.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Thu 6th Jan '05 9:03PM
4213 Posts
Yaarg 8/10
Cornish cheese wrapped in stinging nettles weirdly devoid of sting.
Super lovely and a christmas fixture in my house.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Fri 17th Feb '06 10:16AM
2708 Posts
Brie 7/10
A wonderfully creamy cheese that's mild yet distinctive. Especially good slightly melted with Bacon in a sandwich.
Second opinion by Spanners on 17th Oct '06 6/10
Very nice but can sometimes be a little too creamy for my needs
Second opinion by Agentgonzo on 9th Apr '09 9/10
Depending on the maturity of it, brie can range from almost tasteless to just a gnat's whiff short of Camembert. However, the best cheese I've ever had was a brie from the Cambride Cheese Shop. Perfectly creamy, it oozed around all the other cheeses in the 4 hours it was left to stand until it had formed a puddle around the other cheeses. It was just remarkable. In a completely different league to any other brie I've ever had, before or since.
   Average Rating 7.33

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Mon 12th Jun '06 1:20PM
212 Posts
Halloumi 10/10
White and squeaky (but not a mouse), like feta but better;
Excellent grilled, or posted in a letter.

(Serving suggestion - finely chop some red chilli and steep in some olive oil, then drizzle over a plateful of thinly sliced grilled halloumi. Yum)

Clara
Even red onions have a silver lining
Mon 21st Aug '06 12:30PM
838 Posts
Feta 10/10
Salty, crumbly and yummy. Excellent to liven up salads and wraps. Melt it on ciabatta with rocket for a tasty lunch. Try to buy it if you see it, because my local Tesco seems to be permanently sold out at the moment, leading me to buy a low fat version which I have yet to taste. Review on that will follow.

Clara
Even red onions have a silver lining
Wed 23rd Aug '06 8:43AM
838 Posts
Apetina Light Salad Cheese 5/10
As promised, review on 'healthy' feta type option. Obviously unable to call it feta as it doesn't really resemble it that much. It's not as hideous as I thought it might be. Taste-wise it's actually not that bad. Kind of salty with a slight tang. The problem is with the texture - rubber is the best description that comes to mind. The block reminded me of a large make-up sponge!

If there is no other, proper cheese available, it makes an okay substitute. However, don't make it the main ingredient of your salad.

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Wed 8th Apr '09 1:54PM
4597 Posts
Stilton 3/10
Too blergh for me

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Mini-Reviews Of Everything!

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedSpanners is The Daddy