By bye hackers
TV Series - 61 to 66
Return To Mini-Reviews Of Everything! 3 of 3 - <<First  1, 2, 3

Diziet
optical moose
Fri 29th Feb '08 8:56PM
2522 Posts
never mind the buzzcocks 9/10
thank god they got shot of mark 'twatto' lamaar. this simon anstell bloke is fantastic, not least because i had a dream that he was turkey slapping me the other night.

disclaimer: dreams mean nothing, even if you are being turkey slapped by the presenter of a scathing music comedy show. they don't, okay!!!!!

edit: according to the ginger fury i've done a bad thing by writing this review. i admit
that use of the word 'twatto' could be perceived as offensive and perhaps the word 'dream' should be replaced with the word 'nightmare'.

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Wed 14th May '08 9:54PM
2708 Posts
Reaper 9/10
A slacker who's had life his own way discovers that his parents sold his soul to the devil before he was born. Now he has to hunt down souls that have escaped from hell with his two slacker buddies...

The devil's a bit too nice, but he is slickly cool. The main enjoyment comes from the three friends having fun with their new gig - whilst tormenting their old boss. It's a simple fantasy slacker comedy action thing basically!

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Wed 2nd Jul '08 11:44PM
4678 Posts
Doctor Who Series 4 2/10
Doctor Who used to be known for it's imaginative writing, plot twists and high-suspense cliffhangers. The recently revived series started off with a few bold attempts to emulate the earlier series but over the course of four years has degenerated into endless close-ups of David Tennent's leering grimace, utterly insipid writing lacking any interesting features whatsoever, and is seemingly composed entirely of cliche and self-reference. The writers seem to have dispensed entrirely with the idea of plot, instead simply throwing in a random piece of exposition of the Doctor's early life instead of a plot twist whenever the 'action' becomes too unbearably repetitive. When all else fails, a character from Torchwood or an earlier series may be used to fill the gaps left by the complete absence of actual events. Most of the alleged storylines now seem to differ only in the (admittedly excellent) prosthetics for this week's alien warriors / alien menace / alien ghosts / future shock moralising.

With a bit of luck Davies will use the coming break to re-evaluate what he wants to do with this series. Amazingly he still seems to have retained enough viewing figures and public goodwill to allow him another shot in 2009; if he doesn't manage to completely overhaul the series, starting with firing the latest round of writers, then I don't think the illusion is going to last much longer; I don't think the public will watch another two years of drivel on a par with the last two, no matter how much many front covers the Radio Times devotes to it. I honestly hope something does change, as Doctor Who has at times been some of the best British television of its time, and meanwhile Torchwood is taking TV drama to levels of darkness rarely seen, and doing so with style, self-confidence and plots that will leave you breathless.

One mark each for the make-up and special effects departments. Episode 7 looked like it might earn another mark till it turned out to be yet another alien all along.
Second opinion by Amanshu on 4th Jul '08 8/10
Although it's not as fresh as it once was - we kind of expect an alien to appear somewhere in each episode, I think this is still throwing out some strong episodes.

A recent one had the nice twist that people didn't just fall in line with the doctor and almost threw him out to die!

The series finale marks a sign off for Davies and is pulling together a number of different threads from all four previous series before Stephen Moffat takes over next series (so Demian might get the shake up he was after).
Second opinion by Demian on 6th Jul '08 4/10
Two extra marks for 'The Library' and 'Forest of The Dead', if all recent episodes had been this imaginative I'd have no problem at all with modern Dr Who!
Second opinion by Demian on 7th Jul '08 7/10
Well, I suppose that'll teach me to review a series after seeing only 7 of 13 episodes. I still think the first half was utterly tedious, but after that it becomes much more imaginative, far less predictable, and overall thoroughly enjoyable. It still takes self-mythologising to levels which would make Kurt Vonnegut proud, but that sort of thing is a lot more forgivable when the mythology itself is so compelling.
Second opinion by Allen Key on 9th Jul '08 8/10
Definitely my favourite series since Christopher Eccleston went away. Never really taken to DT as the Doctor, but I enjoyed him a lot more paired up with Donna (I know there was a lot of objection to Catherine Tate, but I thought she was fab, just what the series needed). Bernard Cribbins showed 'em all how it's done, though. Legend.

Episode-wise, this had the highest hit rate for me since series one - only real clunker was The Doctor's Daughter. Slightly disappointed with the finale, after the previous episode was such a belter (similar to last year). Good to see the Daleks back on form (they'd gone a bit bitchy (it was always all about the Cybermen for me though (I don't like the new Cybermen. Proper ones for Christmas, please.)))

The Rose/Martha thing was handled badly. Martha's eps early in the series just felt like a set-up for G.I. Martha in the finale, and Rose got lost in amongst Every Other Character Who's Ever Appeared On The Show. Wasn't keen on her returning anyway, but I guess she was RTD's baby and he wanted to finish her story properly (dear lord, I hope it IS now finished properly) before he goes.

Much as I respect RTD for bringing DW back, I'm glad he's off - it was all getting a bit self-indulgent. I've always felt he was playing the Doctor vicariously through DT, if that's not as weird as I've made it sound. Looking forward to seeing how Moffatt does as showrunner, though I have to say I thought Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead wasn't quite up to his usual standard.
Second opinion by Amanshu on 11th Jul '08 4/10
I'd have to say I'm going the other way. Despite everyone moaning that Martha would be terrible for the Doctor, I think she's possibly been the best companion so far - she'd quite happily tell him to stop being stupid.

The season finale was quite nice in that it really gave her a chance to shine, but generally I found it huge and bloated with far too many characters vying for attention. As AK has said the Rose/Martha thing was brushed over, the Doctor/Rose ending was tedious, Sarah Jane didn't really seem to have any purpose other than to provide useful things.

Basically too many of the characters were largely ignored in favour of a few of them. I wanted to see them interact!

I had quite enjoyed the series up until that point and I just felt it fell a bit flat. Oh well, I have high hopes for Moffat since he's consistently provided awesome, spine-chilling episodes.

The nod towards the next series of Torchwood was nicely done though.
  Average Rating 5.5

Demian*
Oh Lordy, Plegaleggole
Tue 8th Jul '08 10:58PM
4678 Posts
Katie & Peter: The Next Chapter 8/10
The hilarious misadventures of the utterly hapless halfwitted couple as they blunder through the series of misunderstandings and confusion which comprise their life together.

I was expecting to find the programme objectionable in some way, but it's impossible to hate these people - they exist entirely on a single happy-go-lucky level, having no deeper understanding of the world around them beyond working out if they need to look pretty for it or sue it for slander, both of which they seem to approach with the same oblivious good-naturedness.

Watching Peter Andre trying to come to terms with having his hair shampooed by a male hairdresser after having anticipated an 'erotic experience', and ultimately declaring himself to have been betrayed by society, was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

More disturbing was Katie's thirst for anaesthesia, she relishes the feeling of being rendered unconscious so much that she instructs surgeons to apply it slowly so she can 'feel it going up my arm' - she sounds more like a junkie than a patient. Also, despite her cheery approach to life, it's obvious that she's got severe body dismorphic issues, and will never be happy with her body no matter how much surgery she has done to it. It's actually quite touching to witness Peter's concern for her as she subjects herself to the neverending surgeries.

However, after 45 minutes, when they brought dental experts on to speculate on the causes of her toothache I had to give up. I've not experimented with 'reality TV' for several years and there's only so much a simple soul like myself can take before I actually start bleeding from the ears. I'll probably watch the rest before 2020, but I need to rest now, my dears. Run along and fetch me my slippers, would you?
Second opinion by Allen Key on 9th Jul '08 8/10
Definitely my favourite series since Christopher Eccleston went away. Never really taken to DT as the Doctor, but I enjoyed him a lot more paired up with Donna (I know there was a lot of objection to Catherine Tate, but I thought she was fab, just what the series needed). Bernard Cribbins showed 'em all how it's done, though. Legend.

Episode-wise, this had the highest hit rate for me since series one - only real clunker was The Doctor's Daughter. Slightly disappointed with the finale, after the previous episode was such a belter (similar to last year). Good to see the Daleks back on form (they'd gone a bit bitchy (it was always all about the Cybermen for me though (I don't like the new Cybermen. Proper ones for Christmas, please.)))

The Rose/Martha thing was handled badly. Martha's eps early in the series just felt like a set-up for G.I. Martha in the finale, and Rose got lost in amongst Every Other Character Who's Ever Appeared On The Show. Wasn't keen on her returning anyway, but I guess she was RTD's baby and he wanted to finish her story properly (dear lord, I hope it IS now finished properly) before he goes.

Much as I respect RTD for bringing DW back, I'm glad he's off - it was all getting a bit self-indulgent. I've always felt he was playing the Doctor vicariously through DT, if that's not as weird as I've made it sound. Looking forward to seeing how Moffatt does as showrunner, though I have to say I thought Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead wasn't quite up to his usual standard.
Second opinion by Allen Key on 9th Jul '08 0/10
Arse! I've 2nd opinioned the wrong programme! Could some kind admin-person add this to Doctor Who Series 4, if such a thing can be done?

It took me ages as well. Fool.

edit: Anonymous admin here - I've left this where it is because, while it's very good as a review of Doctor Who, it's downright hilarious as a review of Katie & Peter: The Next Chapter.
Anonymous on 9th Jul '08 10/10
pants wettingly funny.

allen key's second opinon, not the show.
  Average Rating 6.5

Allen Key
Stagnating, like a packet of crisps on the roof.
Wed 9th Jul '08 2:19PM
510 Posts
Bonekickers 2/10
Absolutely barking mad, and not in a good way. Appalling script, characters-by-numbers, totally unlikeable lead, too much 'ooh, let's stir up some religious controversy, aren't we daring', archaelogical practices that would have Time Team's Mick Aston rending his stripy jumper asunder in despair, and Paul Nicholls seemed to have been ADRed to within an inch of his life (he wasn't doing his own accent. It must have been awful before they fixed it. I say 'fixed'...). This is from the people who did Life On Mars, for goodness' sake. If it'd been played for laughs it would have been a lot more successful, but they seem to be taking it far too seriously.

That said, I'll still be tuning in for the remaining 5 weeks (or however long it stays on air) because Hugh Bonneville is in it, and he is utterly marvellous, always. The massively generous 2/10 is entirely due to him. There were a few decent lines, and he had all of them (unfortunately some really ropey ones too). If his character was the lead it would be sooo much better, but they've gone for Julie Graham instead (she's had her teeth done, but that's not important right now) who gets right on my wick.

Maybe I'll try next week's episode with a couple of beers. Might take the edge off.
Second opinion by Clara on 10th Jul '08 5/10
This was loopier than the loopiest thing from Loopyland. But, as AK pointed out, it has Hugh Bonneville in it. He's just wonderful, full stop. 5 marks for him.
Second opinion by Allen Key on 13th Aug '08 5/10
Well, the series has reached its end with a shuddering, spittle-flecked death-rattle. To be fair, it got better, although I did become increasingly keen that Julie Graham should fall in a trench and be inexpertly excavated with a JCB.

So an extra point for improvement, one more for having the mysterious masked baddie in the final ep played by Boba Fett, plus 3 Bonneville Bonus Points for the classic lines 'Call yourself a bonekicker? You know NOTHING!' and 'DON'T MESS WITH ME! I'M AN ARCHAEOLOGIST!', and some corking action-hero stuff with a killer snake and some Excalibur-loving Opus-Dei-Lite ruffians.

I've pre-ordered the DVD. Yeah, I know.
 Average Rating 4

Xander
The panda is the evolutionary equivalent of living off benefits.
Mon 22nd Sep '08 6:13PM
169 Posts
TERMINATOR: The Sarah Connor Chronicles Season 1 9/10
Rather sensibly the series ignores the crap 3rd Terminator movie and picks up a little after T2.

Essentially in the pilot sky net is yet again trying to 'terminate' John Connor. Escaping to the future (2007) and therfore avoiding Terminator 3. The premise being trying to stop Sky Net from ever being invented.

Show is action/drama and plays on this riff. Sadly the show was cut to only 9 episodes by the writers strike and a watch will show that the writers clearly had a big plot arc planned. Which will be picked up in season 2.

It's strengths are it's principle cast who manage to be engagin and interesting. Cameron played by Summer Glau is the stand out. Playing a killer cyborg with very questionable if none existent morality she is brillant. Glau puts plenty of strange querkyness into her performance. It also helps that she is very very hot! Reviewer admits bias there.

Thomas Dekker plays John Connor perfectly. He manages successfully to play a role that requires him to do the whole 'I'm going to save the world' angst without getting irritating. He also has some slightly disturbing sexual chemistry with Glau's Cameron.

Oddly the weak link is Sarah Connor played by Lena Headly. As Connor she is very good and credible as hard ass and heart. But is asked to play it far to angst ridden. Iritatingly giving us a moral to the story every single episode!

In short short thought the series is great. Frankly its fantastic and people need to watch it. Also Summer Glau is hot, in case I failed to mention it.

Check out the trailers:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=L6QnRIppORY
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9SiS1uGjkG0

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Mini-Reviews Of Everything! 3 of 3 - <<First  1, 2, 3

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedMalcolm is The Daddy