By bye hackers
Food - 1 to 30
Return To Mini-Reviews Of Everything! 1 of 2 - 1, 2  Next> Final>>

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Thu 6th Jan '05 8:36PM
4213 Posts
Peperami Firestick 1/10
It looks like a peperami hot, it's the same price as a peperami hot, it's smaller than a peperami hot, it is supposed to be spicer that a peperami hot but it isn't

Spanners*
Misses his big brother :(
Sun 9th Jan '05 12:56PM
4597 Posts
Chicken Wings 10/10
So simple yet so nice. Barbecued, southern fried, chinese style, chili coated, beer battered, dipped in mayo. It's all good. Equally good with salad, chips or crusty bread. Or have em on their own as a starter.
Well under-rated delicacy which I believe should be regarded as vegetarian 'cos chickens can't fly innit. They don't need them.

Spanners*
Wed 12th Jan '05 7:12PM
4597 Posts
Taters 10/10
Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew. Taters!

Sloanio
*boingy* *boingy*
Thu 20th Jan '05 6:42PM
271 Posts
Old El Paso Chicken Fajita cooking sauce 10/10
WITH LOADS OF CHICKEN and sour cream!!

yum

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Fri 25th Feb '05 1:40PM
2708 Posts
Banana 10/10
It's versatile, yellow, and if you hold it up to your lips like you're giving a really good smile. There is a very good reason why they're the most sold fruit in the UK.
Second opinion by Agentgonzo on 13th Oct '06 5/10
I thought that the tomato was?
   Average Rating 7.5

BrightonBabe
Would you like to see me blink? It really is quite impressive.
Fri 25th Feb '05 5:22PM
894 Posts
Roast Dinner 10/10
Plenty of choices for the meat( although chicken or turkey rule), lots of vegetables ( including brussels sprouts ) potatoes, yorkshire puddings, gravy
Good Old fashioned meal and very tasty

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Wed 30th Mar '05 1:08PM
1673 Posts
Sharwood's Mini-Poppadums 10/10
These little beasts are so full of wonder, it's hard to know where to begin. Priced at a more-than-reasonable 99p (or thereabouts) for 20, they come in a pleasingly compact box measuring roughly 3" by 3" by 1". Inside, you find twenty small, neat and round discs of roughly the size of those minature CDs you see occasionally. Open the box, open the inner packet, and then the fun starts.

Cooking instructions are a little unexpected, in that they require you to rub vegetable oil on each side of each poppadum, using kitchen roll. I recommend that you follow these instructions carefully - it ensures a very thin but evenly-spread coating. Also note that any area that escapes un-oiled will not cook properly - attention to detail is the key. Then, place 3 or 4 on a plate, stick them in the microwave and set it for a minute or so. (The chances are you'll want to press Stop before the minute has passed.)

For the first 5 or 6 seconds, nothing seems to happen. Then, as if by magic, they start to curl, expand and generally writhe around, inflating before your very eyes into fully-fledged poppadums. It really is the most enthralling cooking experience you're likely to have. When they've taken shape properly, allow another 3 or 4 seconds (but not more) for extra browning, then take them out and you'll be amazed at how exactly like the "real thing" they are. Excellent with the classic mango chutney, or cheese, pate, or just on their own.

In summary: well-priced, attractively packaged, fantastically entertaining to cook, and delicious too. Everything a savoury snack should be.

Dregan
a flim flam is as good as a shim sham sam
Thu 31st Mar '05 2:23AM
843 Posts
McDonald's Curry Chicken Sandwich 7/10
I tried one of these beasts when I was in London and hungry.

First off, they're a lot smaller than you might expect, about the size of a standard McDonald's hamburger. However, they don't taste too bad, especially for fast food - the curry is more of a chutney affair, and the chicken scrapings actually resemble chicken. Two of them plus a McFlurry had me surprisingly [and pleasantly] sated, and for 99p each that's not a bad lunch for under ?3.

Great if you don't have access to a kitchen/microwave, but if you don't like McDonald's already, they won't sway you.

Allen Key
Stagnating, like a packet of crisps on the roof.
Thu 14th Apr '05 11:49AM
510 Posts
Raspberries 10/10
They taste like summer and they're very very good for you.

Kelly*
Poke me in the knees and call me Roger
Thu 18th Aug '05 1:17PM
758 Posts
Tesco's Soda Farls 10/10
Really some of the best farls I've ever met.
Second opinion by Malcolm on 9th Nov '05 8/10
Indeed, excellent bread products. Somewhere between a scone and, er, another bread product - but slightly bigger. One is more than ample to contain a burger of your choice, or to split, toast and butter. Definitely to be recommended (although the brand, in fact, is Rankin's rather than Tesco).
   Average Rating 9

Allen Key
Stagnating, like a packet of crisps on the roof.
Wed 24th Aug '05 12:33PM
510 Posts
Aduki Beans 1/10
Gah

Supremely nutritious they may be, but hell's dentures, these things are grim. Under no circumstances should you attempt to eat them unless you are 'Dr' Gillian McKeith. They're also very unpleasant if you accidently happen to step on one in your socks.

They can have a point for being red.

Clara
Even red onions have a silver lining
Wed 24th Aug '05 12:57PM
838 Posts
Profiteroles 9/10
They are creamy, chocolatey little balls of loveliness.
I ate 14 in one go last Christmas (after two other courses too).

(one mark dropped as eating 14 in one go and then drinking vodka is a bit of a mistake).

Spanners*
Fri 26th Aug '05 11:52AM
4597 Posts
Tuna Melt 10.2/10
I'll share with you Spanners' recipe for making the ultimate ever tuna melt:
Spread one slice of bread with a thin layer of sweet chilli sauce then add tuna, 2 slices of cheese and the top layer of bread.
Then microwave sandwich for one minute to melt the cheese inside.
Meanwhile head up a non-stick frying pan really hot without oil on the hob.
When microwave pings slap the sandwich in the pan and keep it moving with a spatula so it doesn't stick.
If the pan is the right amount of hot then each side should take about a minute to crisp.

(also works for ham, raisin and baked bean toasties)

Clara
Tue 30th Aug '05 11:08AM
838 Posts
Ainsley Harriot's Chocolate Heaven Bars 9.5/10
Yes, the man may be the most irritating thing on television, if not the planet, but boy oh boy can he produce a chocolate bar. Wafery, choc chippy little mouthfuls of temptation.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........................

Excuse me whilst I go have another one (stuff the concept of moderation - if there's chocolate to be had, I'm there).

9.5/10 (would hate not to leave room for improvement - and I've not tried the caramel ones yet)

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Wed 7th Sep '05 12:57PM
212 Posts
Improvised Cheesecake with Mini-Eggs and Philadelphia Cream Cheese 8/10
Should you ever find yourself spontaneously yearning for cheesecake, and you happen to have the following ingredients to hand:
- an oatcake (preferably of the Nairn's Rought Oatcake variety)
- some Philadelphia cream cheese (preferably full-fat)
- three to four Cadbury's mini-eggs
I can recommend that you combine them one on top of the other (oatcake at the bottom, mini-eggs uppermost, cream cheese very much in the middle) to create a sort of cheesecake substitute. It does sound quite odd, but it is in fact very nice and can be eaten for breakfast if desired.

I have deducted two points due to the unfortunate tendency of the colouring from the mini-eggs to leach into the philadelphia; of course, if you don't object to pink/purple cream cheese, it is not a problem.

Diziet
optical moose
Thu 8th Sep '05 8:42PM
2522 Posts
Asda Go Large Sausage Rolls 1/10
nothing so bland has ever caused my colon so much distress.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Sun 18th Sep '05 8:29PM
4213 Posts
Bassets Milky Babies 7/10
Mild and not at all dissimilar to fruit flavoured milk bottle gums.
Show an unfortunate tendency to stick togather.

General*
Windows Bob - the best!
Sun 18th Sep '05 8:34PM
4213 Posts
Bassets Fruity Babies 9/10
Larger and slightly softer than the industry standard Haribo Gold Bear, a good range of flavours knocks the old favourite in to second place in the competitive field of anthropomorphic gummy.
Second opinion by Diziet on 17th Feb '06 9/10
i love the taste and texture of these thin gs. really fruity and chewy.
    Average Rating 9

Clara
Wed 9th Nov '05 12:20PM
838 Posts
Tesco Chicken Caesar Pizza 1/10
No, no, no, no, no....

I bought one of these as I LOVE caesar salad and pizza is quite frankly life affirming, but it sadly proved to be one of those occasions where a plus and a plus equal a minus.

Instead of tomato sauce, it is a 'caesar' one - but not like you've ever tasted before, oh dear me no. Basically the thing tasted like chicken that had slightly gone off, on a base that was burnt to a crisp around the edge but soggy in the middle due to the weird 'sauce'.

Avoid. You know it makes sense.

Mildred
Daddy-licious
Thu 24th Nov '05 12:47PM
212 Posts
Chocolate Nutri-grain Bar 6.5/10
Not an unpleasant thing to munch on exactly (although I don't believe for one second that it has been baked by pixies), it's just that the interior filling does rather have the taste and consistency of chocolate glue, if there were such a thing as chocolate glue.

Yes, chocolate glue is not necessarily a bad thing (in fact I can see how it would be very popular - perhaps dangerously so - with children) but it is potentially unnerving as a snack, so: not for the faint-hearted.
Second opinion by Demian on 20th Mar '09 8/10
Given their size and weight, the calories are surprisingly low, making this an ideal product to keep in reserve for when you can't be bothered with a real breakfast.
Second opinion by General on 20th Mar '09 0/10
A rubbish attempt to con people that it's ok to eat a chocolate bar for brekfast
 Average Rating 4.83

BrightonBabe
Would you like to see me blink? It really is quite impressive.
Fri 25th Nov '05 12:59AM
894 Posts
Innocent Smooties 10/10
In one 175ml bottle you get your whole days portion of fruit
Healthy and tasty , many flavours , feels so good
May go and have some now
Yummmyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
My tummy is in love
Brightonbabe and Shivtastic xxxxxxxxxxxx

Ummm Interesting !!!!
Second opinion by Demian on 18th Oct '06 5/10
...Except you probably need to take out a second mortgage to buy one.

Very tasty product, but I'm not paying 2.50 or more for 175ml of fruit juice. You can buy 3 different litres of fruit juice from Asda and make your own smoothiwes for that price!
 Average Rating 7.5

Amanshu*
Giggity Giggity goo
Fri 17th Feb '06 10:19AM
2708 Posts
Lloyd Grossman's Tomato and Basil Sauce 9/10
This is a great basis for a chilli. Completely vegetarian, all it requires is some mince, some kidney beans and some sort of kick (personally I prefer green and red chillies for that extra spot of colour). Very easy to make, and very satisfying once done!
Second opinion by Diziet on 17th Feb '06 9/10
lloyd grossman sauces are fab. green chilli peppers add an extra tangy kick to chillis and a dash of red wine or beer brings out all the flavours in one lovely spicy explosion. thats it...i'm having chilli for dinner tonight
   Average Rating 9

Spanners*
Thu 20th Apr '06 7:04PM
4597 Posts
Dairy Milk Creme Egg Bar 51/10
It's a dairy milk on the outside, a creme egg on the inside and whole world of yum in my face.
Limited edition though, snap them up fast!
Second opinion by Amanshu on 21st Apr '06 10/10
It's a creme egg bar! Marvellous!
Second opinion by Clara on 4th May '06 9/10
Oooh, had one of these beauties last night. Not as good as the shortcakey dairy milk (in my humble opinion) but damn fine all the same.
    Average Rating 23.33

Malcolm*
My ape goosed a Bishop. Who are you?
Fri 21st Apr '06 9:38AM
1673 Posts
Iceland hash browns 9/10
These really are marvellous hash browns. I mean, in my book, hash browns are nearly always excellent (leaving aside the unpleasant York Castle Takeaway experience) - crispy potato goodness in a strangely irregular shape. But Iceland own-brand ones go a step further: they have onion in them as well. Oh yes.

Plus, the Iceland chain gets extra points for the fact that it genuinely is Icelandic!

Spanners*
Thu 8th Jun '06 7:51AM
4597 Posts
Jordans Special Muesli 9/10
All the classic goodness of muesli plus raisins, sultanas, banana chips, pineapple, dates, papaya, coconut chips, pumpkin seeds, almonds, hazelnuts and pecans.
Phenomenally healthy and nearly as tasty as a bacon sandwich. An early shift would not be complete without it!
Second opinion by Kelly on 5th Apr '07 -1675/10
Anything with the word 'muesli' near it deserves immediate destruction.
    Average Rating -833

Spanners*
Mon 28th Aug '06 12:34PM
4597 Posts
Kobe Beef 123456789/10
Dude
This is officially the most tender and flavoursome beef in the world. It comes from a black-haired breed of Japanese cattle called Wagyu. As well as naturally being the most astoundingly good beef it is improved through feeding the cattle ample beer in a well regulated diet and giving them daily massages. It is doubted that the massages directly make the beef more tender but apparently the calming effect on the cattle does it wonders.
Best eaten extremely rare I had the joy of experiencing this for the first time recently in Cape Town and it was so much beyond normal steak it was like a different heavenly animal. Wowo.

Diziet
optical moose
Thu 12th Oct '06 7:14PM
2522 Posts
pie sandwhiches 10/10
ballast for the hungry person who can't be arsed with proper cooking.

stick a pie in the oven (or use a microwave pie for added laziness) and then slap it between two thickly cut slices of white bread. voila! let the savoury munching begin!

i prefer steak and kidney squashed between warburtons but there are a variety of pies and breads to choose from - let your inner child decide.

speaking of kids, don't feed this to them otherwise jamie oliver will put out a contract on your head.

then again, sod jamie oliver - pie sandwhiches for everyone!

hurrah!
Second opinion by Emo Squid on 12th Oct '07 10/10
Bread must be heavily buttered.
Average Rating 10

Spanners*
Tue 31st Oct '06 6:26PM
4597 Posts
Tesco Finest Chunky Chips 9/10
Very chunky chips made from the finest Maris Piper potatoes and pre-coated in a very light batter to make them extra crispy. Damn they good.
I enjoyed many last night with some mushrooms and the piece of steak bequeathed to me by my housemate as he's just had his tonsils out and is unable to chew!

Spanners*
Fri 16th Mar '07 10:52AM
4597 Posts
Cold Pizza 12/10
Damn it's good
I mean, damn.
There is no finer experience than getting a large stuffed crust with all the toppings and settling down with it and a beer in front of the TV then whacking 3 slices in the fridge to save for the next day - 1 for breakfast and 2 for lunch.
I'm currently enjoying a spicy chicken, beef, pepperoni, mushroom and sweetcorn slice. Yeah I know it's 10.51am but hey, I'm on an early shift!
Second opinion by Mrsham on 19th Mar '07 10/10
Yes yes yes. I left my girlfriend the remains of last night's pizza for her lunch, which in my world shows her how much I care.
Second opinion by General on 19th Mar '07 10/10
The only problem with it is that hot pizza is so nice there is rarely any cold pizza left in my household.
Second opinion by Diziet on 20th Mar '07 10/10
i have two hungarian housemates who work for dominos. theres always cold pizza for breakfast in my house.
    Average Rating 10.5

Spanners*
Thu 5th Apr '07 1:14PM
4597 Posts
Tesco Extra Virgin Olive Oil Plus Omega 3 1/10
Don't buy this. Ever.
Its omega 3 comes from the 6% squid oil it cointains which makes any and all food cooked with it taste like rancid fish. Eeeeeuuuuugggghhhhhhhhhhh!

Given it 1 point because it's apparently good for you

Bookmark With: Post to DiggDigg   Post to DeliciousDelicious   Post to RedditReddit   Post to FacebookFacebook   Post to StumbleuponStumbleupon
Return To Mini-Reviews Of Everything! 1 of 2 - 1, 2  Next> Final>>

Time Zone is Greenwich Mean Time You are Visible
Html Tags are On Smileys are On
Anonymous Posting is Not AllowedSwoop is The Daddy